Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice and experience wanted on possible purchase of Pioneer MVH-X560BT

Soon to remove front fairing to install current group buy HIDs. The HK head unit sucks, especially on FM. CD and wired is better, but not great. I attached a BT dongle to the AUX, then the AUX connector in the HK became disconnected. I will reconnect when HK is out of bike.

The Pioneer 149bt has HD radio, which the 560bt does not. Both appear to have similar iPhone inter connectivity. $300 for the 149bt and $130 for the 560bt.

Perhaps in an enclosed environment of a sedan, the more expensive head unit would be a sonic improvement. But, riding 75 mph on a MC ?

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
I paid $210 for my Alpine 149, but still interested to see how your Pioneer works out. Which installation kit are you going with?

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Subscribed .... :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Personally I've been using the Pioneer DEHX8600BH which has the HD Tuner as well as Bluethooth and all kinds of other features, For about 2 Months now, I love this Headunit and have no complaints whatsoever about it. I believe I paid around $140 for it. My last Pioneer Radio I gave to my Brother and its still pumping --9 yrs. later.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally I've been using the Pioneer DEHX8600BH which has the HD Tuner as well as Bluethooth and all kinds of other features, For about 2 Months now, I love this Headunit and have no complaints whatsoever about it. I believe I paid around $140 for it. My last Pioneer Radio I gave to my Brother and its still pumping --9 yrs. later.
The Pioneer DEHX8600BH looks to be a good unit. Crutchfield has it for $199. HD would have been nice, but for me I placed very little weight on its being included on the FLTR. For me, the weight of including a CD was zero. I prefer to stream from my iPhone.

I have a seven year old Alpine in my '94 sports car; I even thought of using that in my FLTR. But, the Alpine is way obsolete. No BT - OMG! So, I'm looking at the 149bt for the '94 car. Trying to stay within a reasonable budget with my toys, and spread out my expenditures to maintain cash flow.

Digital technology for audio and PDA is changing so fast that in two years, whatever I install in the FLTR will be comparatively out of date as much as my seven year old Alpine is today. The Alpine was top of the line for a single DIN seven years ago.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Crutchfield is normally more pricey than other online retailers. However, they have a reputation for good follow up service, and telephone assistance on installation. With this purchase the total expenditure with Crutchfield was less than others.

My total cost including adapter was $154.98, shipping was $0.00, and the instructions they value at $9.99 was on check out actually $0.00.

The adapter when purchased with the head unit was offered at half price. Plus the bundle comes with instructions specific to the FLTR. I will let you know about the quality of the instructions.

Regarding the adapter, it either works or it doesn't. I know nothing about it.
The adapter Crutchfield sells for the FLTR is a Scosche. See image attachment for parts list and prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
The Pioneer DEHX8600BH looks to be a good unit. Crutchfield has it for $199. HD would have been nice, but for me I placed very little weight on its being included on the FLTR. For me, the weight of including a CD was zero. I prefer to stream from my iPhone.

I have a seven year old Alpine in my '94 sports car; I even thought of using that in my FLTR. But, the Alpine is way obsolete. No BT - OMG! So, I'm looking at the 149bt for the '94 car. Trying to stay within a reasonable budget with my toys, and spread out my expenditures to maintain cash flow.

Digital technology for audio and PDA is changing so fast that in two years, whatever I install in the FLTR will be comparatively out of date as much as my seven year old Alpine is today. The Alpine was top of the line for a single DIN seven years ago.
I also don't care to much about "HD" radio or having a "CD" . I put all my CDs in a Flash Drive and just connected it to the back of the Radio and have been using it that way ever since. Those Drives are dirt cheap nowadays and beats carrying around all those CDs everywhere,,Gotta love technology.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The Crutchfield site listed the items I needed for the Pioneer install. Low and behold, one critical item was not listed: the handlebar control interface.

After placing my order, and then reading the small print on the Sochie adapter, I realized that it says works with handlebar controls with the addition of PAC-SWI-RC

I emailed Crutchfield and confirmed with Crutchfield that the part was required to interface with the FLTR handlebar controls. Crutchfield's price is $69.99 while Amazon's price (Sold by Amazon) is $39.38

Instructions on install and programming the PAC-SWI-RC are at here and possibly at
here

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... the small print on the Sochie adapter, I realized that it says works with handlebar controls with the addition of PAC-SWI-RC ...
.... Crutchfield's price is $69.99 while Amazon's price (Sold by Amazon) is $39.38
I ordered the PAC-SWI-RC from "The Big River." There is ample discussion on the PAC within the various forums.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This afternoon I received the Pioneer head unit and the Scosche install kit for the FLTR. To come is the PAC handlebar interface. I have also ordered an oil cooler and group buy hid kit. I will install all at the same time to minimize down time of my FLTR.

For now, if interested in my progress, see my photo gallery at http://www.roadglide.org/album.php?albumid=3777

Attachments

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Looks like your in for a little fun. If I had to do the light installation again , I think I'd mount all the transformers on top of the light indentation inside the fairing . Of course that will put them closer to the radio.
I look forward to hear how that Pioneer sounds. I always been a big fan of Pioneer, had /have many Super Tuners over the years.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like your in for a little fun. If I had to do the light installation again , I think I'd mount all the transformers on top of the light indentation inside the fairing . Of course that will put them closer to the radio.
I look forward to hear how that Pioneer sounds. I always been a big fan of Pioneer, had /have many Super Tuners over the years.
ThNk you Big_Gary. Fun I trust my install will be, an I will share the sounds with you and all. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
You got a lot of nice "Toys" there, But I don't see no Splash guard to protect that Headunit from the Elements. And I can see from your location that your in Florida, Just like me--You know Rain season aint no joke down here:p I have the Biketronics cover, Nice and snug works great..For 20 bucks you cant beat it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts