Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi is there any advantage to putting a heat wrap/tape on 2015 rgs or go with the jackpot pipes,also would the chrome shields still fit on the pipe.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I put a set of ceramic Jack Pot 's on, in late fall of last year on my 12 Ultra,of course heat was a huge problem before...I have ridden only a few times since then when the temperature was in the 70's including the last two weekends. I know 70's is not summertime heat ,but as of now I can tell you I already can tell a huge difference, before I could even feel great amounts of heat anytime of the year.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Wrapping pipe might help for heat but destroys the pipe eventually, it traps moisture and exhaust starts rusting/pitting under it. But if you live in AZ and bike never gets wet it might last longer. I had DEI titanium wrap on a thunderheader 2-1 and decided to take it off and put heat shields on. Pipe was so pitted it had to be sanded down, stripped and then ceramic coated. If I hadn't taken wrap off pipe it would've eventually rotted away. Looks cool but I wouldn't do it again unless it was for a bar hopper/bobber

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I wrapped my Pro pipe on my 05 RG. At the time the H.O. Pro pipe did not come with hear shields. Damn was it HOT. Wrapped the head pipe and it was a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Wrapped on set of pipes will never do it again. Much more hassle than it is worth. Sure it keeps it cool but get it wet and watch it smoke. When I took it off the pipe was all rusted underneath. I scraped the pipe on teh ground shredded the wrap too. Once was more than enough.

The only benefit was that it stayed much cooler than an unwrapped pipe.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Torqu, if a pipe didn't have heat shields available I'd wrap it too. I was gonna leave the wrap on and just put shields over but it didn't fit. I wish I had pictures of pipe, after I had pitting/rust cleaned up it had deep pitted holes all over just like the face of Edward James Olmos , sorry James but you get the idea what it looked like:)
Torqu, I like what you did on the bad ass home made side dumper, the wrap is a nice touch and it probably hides some welds and helps heat as well. I just wouldn't wrap a $1200 pipe again. Heat is an issue and some people do a lot if different things, I've heard of people ceramic coating and then wrapping pipes on top. It all depends on exhaust, the thunderheader X pipe's bend by rear cylinder comes way out and just fryes you. After I cleaned up pipe, got them coated and put heat shields on I added RJ's heat deflector, big difference. Might not look as cool but RJs is a little cleaner looking then captain itch's. I have a 117" build on my wide glide and never had heat issues on that bike

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Nordic, that first pipe I built was Ceramic coated and wrapped. I installed it on that pipe because I wasn't sure how the heat was going to be with the 45* bend not having a heat shield. I agree, they will eat at a pipe, but when I ordered the H.O. Output exhaust it was so new that V & H did not even offer shields. That's the only reason I wrapped the V & H pipe I had. I wonder how well the Cerakote holds up compared to the Ceramic coatings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts