Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paint job only three years young. Clear, paint, silver leaf peeled right off! This happened after I took off baglid scuff protectors while on a trip. Did the painter not put enough hardner, not bake long enough???? I'd like some input before I go blow up at his shop!!
ImageUploadedByMO Free1382453385.351597.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1382453401.168301.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
How were the lid protectors attached. ?

·
Registered
574 Posts
It sounds like you used that 3m type of adhesive correct?

Just my thought, if you went and had someone hand paint the design, you have to be careful about what you put on it. In the early stages of the paint curing, gas will take it right off. If the design was placed over the painted and cured surface, it can come off (like someone doing pin striping). If it was baked all together and then coated, it should not, but then again, the type of paint and it being flake can adhere differently and then possibly come off.

Putting that clear coat adhesive cover over it makes it difficult to say who is at fault. Unless you told the guy specifically what you were going to do that, I would not blame the painter. Anytime you put that type of adhesive on a painted surface, you may not be happy when you take it off. Taking it off stresses the paint in an unusual way, and I would not consider it normal wear and tear.

But that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
It sounds like you used that 3m type of adhesive correct?

Just my thought, if you went and had someone hand paint the design, you have to be careful about what you put on it. In the early stages of the paint curing, gas will take it right off. If the design was placed over the painted and cured surface, it can come off (like someone doing pin striping). If it was baked all together and then coated, it should not, but then again, the type of paint and it being flake can adhere differently and then possibly come off.

Putting that clear coat adhesive cover over it makes it difficult to say who is at fault. Unless you told the guy specifically what you were going to do that, I would not blame the painter. Anytime you put that type of adhesive on a painted surface, you may not be happy when you take it off. Taking it off stresses the paint in an unusual way, and I would not consider it normal wear and tear.

But that is just my opinion.
That's where I was heading . I agree totally. Molding tape and paint don't always separate properly.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Most small paint shops don't have a bake oven they just let the paint air dry and then the paint will cure over time. If you put the protectors on before the paint was cured it may cause problems when removing the protectors.

·
Registered
613 Posts
no matter who is at fault it sure made a big mess, I feel sorry for you! I know there are a lot of the clear protective covers sold but worrying about something like this happening to me has kept me from putting it on. I feel for you and sure hate it happened to your custom paint.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
no matter who is at fault it sure made a big mess, I feel sorry for you! I know there are a lot of the clear protective covers sold but worrying about something like this happening to me has kept me from putting it on. I feel for you and sure hate it happened to your custom paint.
Thats why I went with the chrome lid rails to protect my saddlebag lids. The lid rails make great handles for lifting or carrying the saddlebag and they are easy to remove when you want to use a buffing wheel to shine the lids.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wouldn't go blow up, he very well may fix it right up for you. As others have pointed out it could of been from the tape or maybe the light filtering threw the lid protector. Could of acted like a magnifying glass.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
If the rest of the paint job looks fine, I would be hard pressed to blame the painter. Hopefully it's a pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah 3m. Clear, supposed to apply and be able to take off at will. Happened to my fender as well. Silver leafing was applied then clear coated

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
If its on the fender too and you didnt use the covering there , That's your control.
Take it back and see if he'll own up to it. Looks like he may have waited too long before applying clear coat.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
looks like the paint materials were still gassing off when the film was installed,

That and it could be possible the painter let the raw basecoat sit to long while he was doing the silver leaf, basecoat should be re-shot if it sits to long before shooting clear coats otherwise the base/clear doesn't bond with each other and delamination like this can happen.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Second part is what I'm guessing bc I didn't put the 3m guard on until three years later

·
Registered
161 Posts
i'd guess that he didn't give you a three year warranty. you can blow up at him all you want but i don't think he has to do squat. now if the guy's running a high end shop and cares about his rep, he just might fix you up and he probably should, but i'd try being nice before i'd blow up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts