Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my first long distance ride coming up towards the end of march. Long distance for me anyway.

Will leave Greer, Sc and ride to Pensacola, Fl and stay the night. Then over to Panama City Beach area and hang out for Fri and Sat before heading back sometime Sunday.

Will be around 1100-1250 miles over 4 days.

Next trip will be up to NC and TN wanted a little warmer weather this time.

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
However you do it, just do it. For some years we did big loops 2,000 to maybe 5,000 miles. Over the years we tired of chasing reservation . One year we booked a place for two weeks rode there , then got up each day and rode. Found we saw and did more that way without the hassles. Now we do that most of the time. Take a couple days down to zig, zag to different areas.
Enjoy the ride while you can

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Have a great trip Justin! Riding the Gulf coast will be awesome...I've spent time in PCB and Eglin AFB back in the day....Great seaside scenic views and great places to eat!. Enjoy your trip and take Pixs!!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I’m another Greer boy :smile: Take your time & enjoy the ride. You’ll be surprised how much more enjoyable the bike is over a car on a long ride.

Ride safe & enjoy!

Ron

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
If I were going from Greer, SC to Pensacola, FL, I would head towards Macon and then take back roads as much as possible to get to Pensacola.

Walter F. George Reservoir near Eufaula, AL is where I would stop at for the night.

If you are interested and have the time, check out the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. Admission is free.

Ride along the beach from Pensacola to Navarre on your way east. There is a toll to get on the beach going east but the ride along the water is worth it IMO.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be interstate on the way down for me unfortunately, leaving a day ahead of everyone else at around 4am. May try and plot a side route around Atlanta but trying to make decent time to Pensacola so my whole day isn't gone.

Meeting up with a buddy coming from Louisiana in Pensacola. Then will meet up with everyone else in Panama City Friday. Got some freeze out thermals to wear, along with leather vest and my Harley lined jacket and added soft lowers.

Doing a test ride to Asheville tomorrow, temps will be in the mid 40s, bit its daylight so probably feel a lot different than night and 40s.

Staying Fri/Sat in Panama at a nice Villa in a resort we found to split and then leave Sunday around noon to head back on some back roads. Probably stay somewhere when it gets dark and get home Monday.

Next trip will be North, want to ride the blue ridge pkwy again and make a weekend out of it.

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Might be interstate on the way down for me unfortunately, leaving a day ahead of everyone else at around 4am. May try and plot a side route around Atlanta but trying to make decent time to Pensacola so my whole day isn't gone.

Meeting up with a buddy coming from Louisiana in Pensacola. Then will meet up with everyone else in Panama City Friday. Got some freeze out thermals to wear, along with leather vest and my Harley lined jacket and added soft lowers.

Doing a test ride to Asheville tomorrow, temps will be in the mid 40s, bit its daylight so probably feel a lot different than night and 40s.

Staying Fri/Sat in Panama at a nice Villa in a resort we found to split and then leave Sunday around noon to head back on some back roads. Probably stay somewhere when it gets dark and get home Monday.

Next trip will be North, want to ride the blue ridge pkwy again and make a weekend out of it.

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk
Freeze out is great stuff! Any riding is better than "no riding" and this might be a dumb question/statement, but I take it your vacation time is limited? Enjoy as much of the BRP as you can "in a weekend". Hope both of your trips are more than you expect, in a positive way of course! Have fun!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Freeze out is great stuff! Any riding is better than "no riding" and this might be a dumb question/statement, but I take it your vacation time is limited? Enjoy as much of the BRP as you can "in a weekend". Hope both of your trips are more than you expect, in a positive way of course! Have fun!
Yeah we did a one day trip in Oct and it was not enough time. 9 hrs and only did maybe 70 -100 miles on BRP.

The rest was getting up there and back, stopping for the views/lunch/brewery in brevard etc... Road hwy 276 back and it was really fun a ton of twisty's. Didn't get to hit diamond back that time. Didn't think to bring a real jacket and it was raining and real foggy when we got up to it, will be more prepared this next time.

Beautiful ride up that way, want to head up to Cherokee and stay the night, then ride the next day over to diamond back and ride that general area all day.

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Not really limited for for us, we all work a 7 on - 7 off schedule and 2 weeks vacation to use but all the guys said they had to get "Permission" from their wives :laugh::laugh: JK, JK well somewhat hahaha they just told me they could go for sure this week. I'm the only one who can just leave when I get ready as long as I am back in time for work at the end of the week. First year on the new RG too so that will be new, used to riding my Fatboy Lo on all the trips.

Planned the trip for me and my buddy from Louisiana about 2 months ago and everyone else just got there "OK" this week. Plan was for a week but my brothers going and wants to be back Monday so I'm going to ride back with him. Would have liked a ride with less miles and more back roads but my buddy from La is about 800 miles away and figured we could meet up halfway and end somewhere about midway between both our homes and wanted some warmer weather for a change. Just hoping the rain forecast for the morning I leave changes, going to pick up some rain gear this week just in case though.

Pensacola is about 7.5 hrs for each of us on google maps, probably closer to 9 on our bikes with stops. Panama city adds some time for him but he wants to ride the coast back to New Orleans then head home anyway and he took 3 weeks off for it to ride since his dad is also wanting to go. All the rest of us have 7 days off to get down their and back to recoup. No one has made a distance ride like this, usually go up to NC and ride the mountains, and that is a workout after riding all day.

Got me a backrest, soft lowers, bag liners...like little suit cases for this trip and going to make a list of what I "wish" I had during the ride for the next one like this.

Be a fun experience all around, have a bunch of different bikes going - 12' Wide Glide, 06' Road King, 19' Indian Scout, 11' Fatboy, 18' Fatboy Special and my 18' RG.

Will try for BRP in April when temps up there hopefully will be in the mid 50's.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
From Justin29365: "going to make a list of what I "wish" I had during the ride for the next one like this."
Good thinking young man! There is definitely a learning curve in "road-trippin" I was probably the exact opposite of you; I started out with too much,(think being an ex-trucker had something to do with that), I "always" have a tarp, wool military blanket, and rain gear with me, even if I'm just going for a day ride. Nothing worse than getting caught in a mid-summer pop up storm, soaked and the temp drops 10-15 degrees and ya have with a 10mph wind and no way to stay/get warm. Again, enjoy and be safe. Sounds like a good time! Yeah; I'm jealous. Haven't had a bike vacation since last September and it was a weekend trip but what a great trip.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went for a short trial ride this morning down some really nice roads and onto some really crappy roads. Was around 2.5 hrs total and started at 40F, warming up to about 45-47F and the only complaint was how bulky my cold weather gloves were. Freez out thermals were amazing, usually 40F and I am uncomfortably cold in just jeans/thermal/shirt/jacket. With those Freeze out thermals and soft lowers I was very comfortable.

Started with mechanix cold weather gloves and freeze out liners, tried my brother cold weather gloves and same issue. Way too bulky for me, couldn't get a good feel on clutch or throttle with them. Went to my regular mechanix and everything was good, not as warm but fine since temps were around 45F for most of the ride.

Already have one thing I want to get.....a pair of aftermarket shocks. Went down hwy 176 and its nice/smooth/slightly twisty and then on to hwy 225/old hwy 25 and holy cow those bumps/uneven pavement/cracks on that road were rough.

Looking at Super Shox...possibly the SL series to lower me a little more (already had MCC mod seat), Ohlins or maybe Legends going to keep looking for awhile and reading. I read a lot about everyone loving the Ohlins after getting them set up, will definitely do more research on all of them.

Need to see what kind of $$$ I will be looking at having to fork out, would install myself and have my brother help with setting sag. Want something easy to adjust that I dont too much need to fine tune for multiple days to feel a big difference. While I am shopping around, I am going to play around with stock shock settings for now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting closer and closer, 3 more days and I head down. Low of 38 when I leave out but after that will be nice and warm the rest of the week down in PCB and the ride back home.

Ordering a set of Super Shox, just before I leave to hopefully have when I get back. And probably start looking into what front springs to run with them.

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well tomorrow morning I head out. 516 miles to hotel, then get to tool around until Sunday before heading back. Think we're going to cut the return trip into 2 days.

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First hiccup....locked forks at hotel. Could not get them to unlock turned key passed unlock and whatya know ignition switch came out and bars shifted. Now switch won't line up FML.
Cant get screw driver trick to work, luckily i can get it to start so going to dealer in the morning a d hope they can align it quickly without an apt.

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Dang - sorry to hear 6ou had a hitch. Sounds like you’re on the right track to get squared away.

Hope that got all your bad trip luck out of the way!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hope they can get to me said they were booked up at Fort Walton He said it was a quick fix with tool so hoping I can convince him to do the work when they open.

If not going to hit up Panama dealer when I get there. Hoping someone will do the work, especially if its a quick job like they said, shouldn't take up much of any other customers time.

If no one will fix it here and If it will keep starting I will just ride it like it is until I can get it to my home dealer.

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts