Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing the wife's jeep rims and badges this weekend with that spray on plasti-dip stuff and it got me thinking. I am looking at options for the lids on my denim black 15 RG. Dealer said that their 3m stick on product will not work on the denim black. Called up one of those vendors that does vinyl wraps for vehicles and they said it should work but I would have to bring the part/bike by for them to check so waiting on warmer weather for that. So yesterday was wondering if I sprayed them with the plasti-dip how it would look and if it would be as easy to peel off as it is on a gloss paint if I did not like it or messed it up? Any one have any experience or ideas? Looking for something that will not mess up the paint. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I never did it, but I have used plasti dip on the lowers on my low rider, and my hog tunes speaker lowers and I peeled it off once and resprayed it, my bet is you would be fine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks for the replies. Hoping that the lids won't be too big of an undertaking. Just need something to protect them because with the arthritis in my left hip I tend to drag my foot sometimes on the left bag lid when I get off the bike so thought this might be a cheap alternative.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Awesome thanks for the replies. Hoping that the lids won't be too big of an undertaking. Just need something to protect them because with the arthritis in my left hip I tend to drag my foot sometimes on the left bag lid when I get off the bike so thought this might be a cheap alternative.
Since I had a full right knee replacement I had the same issue. My son, a motor cop, showed me how they are taught to get on and off the bike by stepping on the floorboard on the right side of the bike and then swinging their left foot over to the other side. By doing this you get your left foot high enough to not drag on the seat and bag lids. Felt funny the first time as you think you are going to tip the bike over, but I do it every time now. Works like a charm and the bike doesn't come off the kickstand at all.
That being said, I put Mustang leather covers on my Saddle bag lids.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure plasti dip would be ok but eventually start to peel due to contact of your foot. have you looked into these clear plastic lid protectors ?

http://www.hogcovers.com/
I have looked at them on line, just haven't seen them in person. May have to find someone that has them installed to see if I like the way they look, even though they are clear.

Since I had a full right knee replacement I had the same issue. My son, a motor cop, showed me how they are taught to get on and off the bike by stepping on the floorboard on the right side of the bike and then swinging their left foot over to the other side. By doing this you get your left foot high enough to not drag on the seat and bag lids. Felt funny the first time as you think you are going to tip the bike over, but I do it every time now. Works like a charm and the bike doesn't come off the kickstand at all.
That being said, I put Mustang leather covers on my Saddle bag lids.
I did actually think about getting on from the right side but though I would look funny falling over the bike. :eek: Never thought about standing on the floorboard though. That may be an option. Actually think that the leather cover may be my best option as far as actually covering the lid and they can be had relatively cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.