Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 RGS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CR500 taken in a burn on Taneum Ridge / Ellenburg, Wa.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

Plowing through a very..did I say very? Cold creek on the 500, Sequoia Nat Forest, SoCal—Rattlesnake Trail
Plant Plant community Natural environment Natural landscape Riparian zone

My CR250 that was worked (pulse induction, repipe, geared, recarbed, different reeds..etc) over for tight / snotty Western Washington woods. Sold the 250, but still have my 500.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2020 Scorched Orange RG Limited
541 Posts
Shit, I love me some smokers, especially old school 2stroke 500’s! I’m in the market for a lightly used KTM EXC500, or something similar, for dual-sport riding. Haven’t been in the dirt for a few years and ready to get back to it!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 RGS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice!

Unless you own a lot of land, have a friend with a lot of land, or join a club, there are no trail areas around here so I stick with Dual sport exploring.
Thats happening more and more. The trail system that I loved in SoCal--gone. Not as big of a deal in Wash or New Mexico. Most riders take care of the trails. I dont hit the trails much these days unless its on a mountain bike-harder than twisting a throttle and I still get a fix.

·
Registered
22 RGS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shit, I love me some smokers, especially old school 2stroke 500’s! I’m in the market for a lightly used KTM EXC500, or something similar, for dual-sport riding. Haven’t been in the dirt for a few years and ready to get back to it!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto! 500's are pretty versatile. Torque it around or whisk that throttle open for the $.025 rocket ship ride while lifting that front end to the sky. I had no issues reeling just about anyone in the desert in on it.

They are getting very hard to find and are appreciating in value. I've had my 500 for a long while, bought in the 90's. It was pretty roached w/ more colors on it than the Partridge Family Bus. I did a full build on it to bring it back, powder coated the frame translucent red and had the boingers worked over for trail--miles of whoops. Parts are getting really hard to source--I do have gasket kits, bearings, fork seals..etc. I keep 'er in the garage on a stand to gloat at. Good luck on your search.

I stepped down to the 250 for tight woods--turned into a project bike itself. Took a bit, you ride the 500 different than the 250. Was a hoot.

·
Registered
22 RGS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recently--after moving to SE NM from Albuquerque. Wasn't shoving it in with one of the u-haul trucks with everything else. Soon, there will be a RGS parked next to it.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,704 Posts
Love dirt bikes!!
And so does my family, we startem out young.....
My 600 honda
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

My daughter and her husband..
Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Sky Helmet

My grand kids....
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

My daughter and her husband both race Enduros and Hair Scambles here in Texas, forgot my 10 old grand son started racing last year.....

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
My CR500 taken in a burn on Taneum Ridge / Ellenburg, Wa.
View attachment 437043

Plowing through a very..did I say very? Cold creek on the 500, Sequoia Nat Forest, SoCal—Rattlesnake Trail
View attachment 437045

My CR250 that was worked (pulse induction, repipe, geared, recarbed, different reeds..etc) over for tight / snotty Western Washington woods. Sold the 250, but still have my 500.
View attachment 437044
Those two strokes are a lot of fun, had a YZ490 back in the days. Front wheel was rarely on the ground. Good times

·
Registered
22 RGS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love dirt bikes!!
And so does my family, we startem out young.....
My daughter and her husband both race Enduros and Hair Scambles here in Texas, forgot my 10 old grand son started racing last year.....
That is awesome! I started the summer before my Freshman year. My brother in law taught me on the late 80's XL600, not nervous, not at all. That started a love affair with XR's and XL. The XR's were bombproof, neighbor had a XR500 that I wanted badly--never came to fruition. Ended up on a XL350 (heavy with no suspension) that I trail rode, basically a street bike. Then ended up on 2-strokes all through high school.

Went into the military and lived overseas for about 7 years. I was home on leave and fartin around on my dads quad and ran into a guy with a extremely clean RM500. He let me ride it and I was hooked again. Bought my first CR500 shortly there after, owned 3 in my time.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Also a smoker fan.. Picked up a 21 KTM XC250 Fall of 20 did a few Hare scrambles last year and plan on doing the whole season this year. Just sent out my suspension and ready to rock this year, actually had more fun on the dirt last year then the Glide...
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,703 Posts
Also had a YZ 490 back in the day and a 465.. Funny how the YZ's changed colors over the years...
Yellow/black, the combo that sticks in my head.

Reactions: Mach2 and glide69
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.