Road Glide banner

Please help with which tuner I should purchase

9K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  mhelinski 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I plan on upgrading my ac and looking at which tuner to purchase. A lot of people seem to like their FP3 tuners. Just wondering if the SE pro street performance tuner is any good? Just want to buy the correct one once the first time lol. I don't plan to do any crazy motor work, maybe just cam later, thanks.

Reactions: Ike Burns
#2 ·
You might as well also ask about seats, exhaust systems, and handlebars as well.

Seriously, there are a lot of choices. I have a TTS and love it. But it depends on who you will have doing the tune (which is just as important) now and/or later. I chose what I have based on that. Your tuner should be your best guide. You are in SoCal; I would recommend Bob at RC cycles (Hayward); worth the ride!

#3 ·
Thanks SharknoseScott,

I have all the above things mentioned on or on the way :grin: But was just wondering if one was better than the other. My Harley mechanic got back to me and said both are comparable if just doing mild mods. If I wanted to do engine work later than the SE performance tuner would be the way to go. Noted on RC cycles, not sure if my friend still has his dyno and does custom tunes in Santa Clarita. It's been a while since I had my deluxe tuned there. Thanks for the info.

#4 ·
I'm one of the guys that loves the FP3. From the mods you stated, it's probably the easiest to use, and it can expand to do more than what many people think. If you think you'll ever do major motor work, I'd try whatever the dyno guy you plan on using likes.

#5 ·
I've owned both the SE Pro Tuner and Thundermax. A friend of mine owns the FP3 tuner. Since your not looking to do major mods, the FP3 would be my recommendation. The SE Tuner isn't as easy to use. The FP3 is plug and play.

My 2 cents.

For me, I have the thundermax and love it.... its an ECM that will grow with you.

#6 ·
I'm another fan of the FP3. I installed it at the end of my last riding season so I only programmed a canned map for it as I haven't been able to ride enough yet because of the weather to make the autotune map. It is easy to use and with its bluetooth capabilities all you need is your smartphone to use it. And like someone mentioned previously it will do more than you think it does so you have the capability to do more to the bike in the future.

Reactions: elbert1977
#7 ·
I have a full V&H exhaust system on my sled so the FP-3 just made sense to use as well.

The FP-3 is one hell of a unit.

When I had engine mods done, cams etc, I had updated my FP-3 before they handed me my keys.

Very easy to use and everything can be changed using my i-Phone.

The auto-tune system on the FP-3 is great.

My bike is always running great and I haven't had any issues what so ever.

I highly recommend the V&H FP-3 unit.

You can install this gem yourself in a matter of 10 minutes.

Your bike will love it.

Swomack

#9 · (Edited)
As you can see tuner threads are like oil threads, everyone has a different opinion and everyone is correct. It depends on what you’re trying to do. The current Harley tuner will only allow you to tune within EPA specs. I prefer the Power Vision because most dyno tuners are familiar with it and it will allow for infinite adjustability. The TTS is also excellent, but fewer dyno techs are going to know how to tune with it. Vance & Hines says no dyno tune is necessary with a FP3, but that’s debatable depending on your desires and circumstances. You can auto tune with a FP3. People like it due to its convenience because it requires no physical connection and the software is easy to use.

If there’s any chance I was ever going to have the bike dyno tuned, I would go with a Power Vision simply because that’s what most techs are going to know how to use, and it allows individual parameter adjustability.

#11 ·
I ran an FP3 on my15RGS and was happy with it. very easy to use and using the phone APP is convenient. For my 18RGS i decided to try the Power Vision. It was on sale at Fuel Moto for $399, same price as the FP3 and it came with a free mounting kit and a custom tune with the after market parts i listed. So far so good. I decided on the PV only because down the road i would like to eventually do some performance mods and wanted the flexabilty and tuneabilty the PV provides. You say you don't want to do any serious mods, but once the bug bites you, there is no end in site.

#13 · (Edited)
I have a PowerVision instead.
The reasons why I preferred on FP3 were:
You can by additional licences to plug different bikes; bought it 1st for my Dyna, when I added the shark I bought a new license from fuelmoto and got also a starting map for my stage 1 setup
Powervision save your original stock map as first thing as you connect it. You then have the possibility to revert to stock at any time
Powervision support stages up to the top, FP3 stops at stage 1. Stage 1 is enough for me but never say never....
Autotune is great, it is possible to save logs and review them to verify the performance moment by moment.
Powervision is not as fancy as FP3 but for about the same money you take a more powerful tool. If you buy it from fuelmoto you get also a great support with it.
Just to let you think about

#15 ·
FP3 stops at stage 1. Stage 1 is enough for me but never say never....
Not trying to be a jerk, but that just isn't true. The FP3 will support way more than just a new air cleaner and slipons.
It's true that other tuners are better for dyno guys to tune, but V&H can give maps for plenty of upgrades. Load it in, run an autotune, and it's done.

Reactions: Hawkeye1
#14 ·
Since you asked, Thundermax.

None of that key-to-scooter stuff, just install it and put the oem ECM on the shelf. Let it auto tune then lock it down. Most users never have to alter the maps, but if you do its usually just backing out a little spark at throttle roll on. Interface is easy wrap your head around. 2D graphs, no 3D terrain maps to try and comprehend.

Then later if you decide to change the cans, just turn the auto map back on. Add cams or inches, just flash in a new map and let it auto tune again. Never spend money on dyno pulls again.

#16 ·
Plus thundermax allows for the addition of TURBO!!! Which I am going to add in the future.... I'll start the thred of Trask vs. Areocharger, that will be a fun thread to read and learn from!:nerd:

#18 ·
2nd on FP3 being able to accommodate bigger upgrades!!!

I sent V&H an email never expecting to hear anything from them.....well was i ever surprised! Helpful, AND willing to help.

I am in the middle of considering an upgrade, and every damn person you speak to uses their own tuner to dyno. one guy says TTS as it's the better version of PV. next guy says PV. Next guy says, blah blah blah. Well, i guess everyone is right.

V&H told me they can build me a map and with Autotune i am confident it can fill in the holes in the tune.

I am considering either just cam upgrade or The Tire Shredder. V&H says they will accommodate me. If it turns out that it sucks, then I will upgrade my tuner, but i think FP3 will work out.
Most shops will tell you to use the tuner they know how to work with.

Good luck!

BC

#19 ·
I have a PV tuner for my shark.
Dealer sold it to me when they did the 110 tire shredder motor upgrade.
PV also has the auto tune feature, and you can use this tuner for dyno work as well, it will work for any mod that you will eventually do.

On my V-Rod, I installed the Cobra Fi2000.
It required nothing else but to hook it to the bike and it automatically adjusts for any future mod, without having to change maps etc.
It was a great addition to the bike and took all of the guesswork of map selection, altitude, weather etc etc. out of the equation.

Just my 2 cents worth

#25 ·
If your still under Warranty only choice you have is the Pro Street Tuner any other tuner will void your Warranty If warranty is not an issue Check out Moonshine Harley-Davidson on you tube. They have loads of info on their engine builds
Not entirely true.

If you go with a Thundermax, the stock ecu is sitting on the shelf unmolested.

#28 ·
Question for you gear heads, 15 RGS, STAGE 1 dynoed at HD with a SE tuner. I'm heading out to Sturgis next week and I am not too happy with the popping and such I have experienced in warmer weather. My son has the same bike with a stage 1 but has a PP3. Virtually no popping and I think the bike has more snap to it. I am thinking I will install a PP3 out there. When you switch tuners is a dyno still necessary? If not, why do they do them then if these things self tune? On the fence to swap out not sure it will be $300 difference in performance.
I am looking into cams this fall so can the FP3 tune those in? will the bike then need to be dynoed?

#29 ·
Question for you gear heads, 15 RGS, STAGE 1 dynoed at HD with a SE tuner. I'm heading out to Sturgis next week and I am not too happy with the popping and such I have experienced in warmer weather. My son has the same bike with a stage 1 but has a PP3. Virtually no popping and I think the bike has more snap to it. I am thinking I will install a PP3 out there. When you switch tuners is a dyno still necessary? If not, why do they do them then if these things self tune? On the fence to swap out not sure it will be $300 difference in performance.
I am looking into cams this fall so can the FP3 tune those in? will the bike then need to be dynoed?
IMO if your going to switch tuners, and want one for future tuning via Dynos and other mods that may come up, The PowerVision is better than the FP3, from what I've been told because most shops with Dynos can tune from them direct to create custom map. I just put the PV on my RGS and did a years worth of research, liked the FP3 and it was my #2 but the Future mods and ease is why I picke the PV

The FP3 is a nice tuner for sure, but the options on the Powervision for a dyno guy is what led me to the PV. Either way there is no substitute for a Dyno run to get the ultimate performance from your bile. Using canned maps is fine but each Intake, Head, Piston, Crank, Valve ect is cut a bit different so thats why a Dyno is the best, its tuning to YOUR bike and how its set up not a shop test bike.

#30 ·
And as an added bonus, if you have that popping with a canned map then either Powervision or Fuel Moto has a tutorial on how to stop it. If you go the Powervision route, think about ordering from Fuel Moto. They will ask what’s in your bike and send a unit that has a custom map in it for your configuration. They have been great to work with.

#32 ·
I went with DynoJet PowerVision with accompanying 2hrs tuning on a rolling road, because:

***at Stage 2 with Torque cam, catless headers, slip-ons, better intake....I will not be changing these parts ever, and wanted ''tuned right, set and forget''.

***my parts combo is not on any so-called canned map

***several Australian dealerships recommend the DJ PV and even send their techs for DynoJet training. Because they know H-D no longer offers a product that is not handcuffed from the start

*** the best tuning shop in my state (tuning H-Ds only, sells no chrome parts, services no bikes) does not recommend anything but DJ PV in 2020. Been in the game 20+ years

***One of very few dedicated Harley engine builders in the UK (engine builds only, no parts or servicing) will not entertain any other tuner. That shop regards the FP3 as a smartphone gimmick not good for anything but basic tuning. Not my opinion, but theirs.

I can rebuild a carb and have done, but I know very little about modern-day tuning so I took these professional experts' advice.

My bike runs great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.