Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I have a 1998 95th anniversary RG ... can anyone tell me why when I push my cigarette lighter in I lose my turn signals, brake lights and speed gages.... this is starting to piss me off to no end... 3 times now im replacing fuses.... ???? please help....

· Registered
538 Posts
Confirm that you are replacing with correct amp fuse - yes you maybe replacing it with the same as what was there before, but that may not be the correct amp either. Then trace the wires running to the lighter and look for damage.

· Registered
4,024 Posts
I don't know if i have an answer for you or not, but have you tried a different cig lighter? Any short in the coil on the cig lighter itself will change the resistance, causing it to draw more amps.
try using one from your car or buying a new one..
Or there might be a short somewhere in the wiring going to the back of the cig lighter. Chaffed or pinched wire on the wiring harness?

I also have heard that many of the cig lighters were wired in reverse from the factory, so swapping wires on the back of the cig lighter may help too.
Im no expert, just giving you some things to check.

· Registered
10,571 Posts
I don't know if i have an answer for you or not, but have you tried a different cig lighter? Any short in the coil on the cig lighter itself will change the resistance, causing it to draw more amps.
Or there might be a short somewhere in the wiring going to the back of the cig lighter. Chaffed or pinched wire on the wiring harness?

I also have heard that many of the cig lighters were wired in reverse from the factory, so swapping wires on the back of the cig lighter may help too.
Sounds like a good place to start. Cig lighters don't last for ever. Also take some compressed air and blow out the female part of the lighter.

· Registered
10,571 Posts

Sounds like a good place to start. Cig lighters don't last for ever. Also take some compressed air and blow out the female part of the lighter.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks again

thanks for all the input ... ill give it all a shot here ... as far as not smoking anymore, I wish it was that easy.... but ill try that too... guys stay safe.... thanks again ... let ya know how I made out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.