Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking more about harley ' s pan. What I've read about the Baker you have to drop the rear wheel. I think the harley is a little cheaper. If I was doing more stop and go riding I would do the cooler. Most of my riding is weekend cruising.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
156 Posts
Somewhere I heard people run the +1 oil pan a quart low, and supposedly the oil temp would be cooler because it's got an air gap to help cool it. I'm a bit skeptical though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
However, what are the benefits over an oil cooler? I will soon install the Ultracool Reefer oil cooler
Between the two, I'd pick the cooler. It will also increase your oil capacity slightly, but is much more efficient at actually lowering oil temps.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solution looking for a problem........
When I first read your response I thought WTF kinda answer is this. But it made me do a little more researching and thinking. Found a couple more discussions on this topic. Then I got to thinking harley been making the air cooled engine for at least a couple years. Haven't heard of anybody having a motor seizing do to high oil temps.so I'll take my 500.00 and buy something else:D. Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
When I first read your response I thought WTF kinda answer is this. But it made me do a little more researching and thinking. Found a couple more discussions on this topic. Then I got to thinking harley been making the air cooled engine for at least a couple years. Haven't heard of anybody having a motor seizing do to high oil temps.so I'll take my 500.00 and buy something else:D. Thanks.

There's a whole bunch of these so-called problems that get all blown out of proportion on forums and in magazines, yet when you get out on the road you'll find thousands of riders riding down the road perfectly happy and totally oblivious to the "problems" we're fretting over.
Got to pick your battles, and spend your money wisely.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The Twin Cam has been on the market for over 15 years now and hasn't needed it. Only reason the moco is offering it now is to compete with Baker.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After several mods including higher compression, bigger oil coolers and fans come in handy. It also depends on how and where you ride.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just got done installing the HD extra capacity oil pan on my 120R.
Install is pretty straight forward. You have to take the rear wheel off to slide the pan out/in.
The only minus is that with the larger pan, there is no room to install the oil temp sender. :(
But I do like the idea of the extra capacity. Hell,it can't hurt.;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got done installing the HD extra capacity oil pan on my 120R.
Install is pretty straight forward. You have to take the rear wheel off to slide the pan out/in.
The only minus is that with the larger pan, there is no room to install the oil temp sender. :(
But I do like the idea of the extra capacity. Hell,it can't hurt.;)
I put one on my 120R when it was installed. I know it probably did not need it however since my 110 chose to dump pieces of metal through the old pan, instead of relying on someone to clean it out, i invested in the bigger pan.

I made the investment as ESP picked up most of the engine swap cost. so, why not.

it has proven over the 1st months to take longer for the oil to heat up but does not keep temps lower once oil is at temp

oh and at the full amount in the pan it blows oil all over the right side of the bike so it has to be run a 1/2 qt low.

So it has to be run 3.5 plus 1

·
Banned
60 Posts
I run the Baker on my 2012 RGC with the stock oil cooler and I replaced the ambient air temp gauge with an oil temp gauge. Baker redesigned the pan based on the experience I had in my shop with the help from my S&S rep. I run the S&S T124 (high compression version). There no doubt in my mind that it helps but the tune is very important also in managing oil and engine temps. I'm currently running a Thundermax on my bike but it ran better and cooler with the tune I developed on the dyno using TTS MasterTune and I've ran automap multiple times and when I was touring the Thundermax facility earlier this year and went through their training, we installed a Thundermax on my bike there at the facility they're made in and I was the first bike outside if the Thundermax facility to get the new "Wave Tune" firmware upgrade. We tuned my bike in heir Superflow dyno and it still doesn't run as well as the tune I created with the TTS and it runs hotter than the tune I created on my dyno. IME, the tune helps tremendously in keeping temps down and I still knock down 42 MPG with the tune I had using the TTS MasterTune.
IMO, where oil capacity really needs to be increased is in the B motored softails running big cubes. Lots of cylinder pressure in those bikes in the Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, New Mexico, Arizona heat is where the big cubes, high cylinder pressures could really benefit from the extra capacity.
BTW, I did not have to remove the back wheel to install the pan and I was to use the front plug in the pan for oil temp sending unit. High cylinder pressure, large displacement and tune not where it needs to be are the ingredients for a complete recipe for heat.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
'Asked the same question on 4 different Forums, got the same answer, "Save your money"

An oil cooler (if you don't have one already?) is a good addition.

'Just ordered a set of Big Sky Fans for the (stock) oil cooler on the '09...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts