Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends and Riders,
You likely recall that I Volunteer with a local county Motor Squad. I don't get to "ride" but I drive the various support trucks and get to run CODE 3 during the parades and events - MUCH FUN ! Well, last month we did a Safety Demo day at a local HD dealer. The safety briefing this year included THE IMPORTANCE OF FRONT AUX LIGHTS. Here are some key points and hopefully the pic is attached:

1. Left Turn Killers are on every road
2. Sometimes, the cage driver does "see" you...
3. But they have difficulty judging the distance due to our profile
4. You see the attached Police bike has AUX lights on the calipers
5. These lights create a different and somewhat larger profile
6. More light? Definitely.
7. Larger profile? Definitely.

So while Motor Squad Officers have emergency strobes for running Code...they place value on using the AUX lights all the time. Fun Fact - these bikes include the AUX lights to also alternate flashing during Code runs.

Bottom line...How much did your bike cost? Are aux lights "too expensive" to increase your chances of survival?

All my best, DOOF

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Totally agree and sport the Clearwater Darlas on my front brake calipers. These are in addition to all of the Custom Dynamics LEDS I have added to the front and rear of the bike.

A couple of links:
https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/darla-1
Clearwater Darla Lights Review - webBikeWorld

A lot of motor officers run the Moto Lights - https://motolight.com/ I went for the Darlas to not only be seen better, but to see better as well at night. And man, do they light up the road! they even come with a dimmer switch. Motolights, from my understanding from several friends that have them, don't light up the road well.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
The more lights, the better to see and be seen. I have the daymaker auxiliary lights attached to my engine guards, white leds that go to amber in my turn signals, and fairing accent lights. If you don't see me coming, you have to be blind.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I used to have motolights on my department bike and noticed a big difference in motorist reactions. They are not cheap, but I've had them on my last 3 personal bikes.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I had the Daymakers an LED turn signals on my 2011 RGU, but have been looking for something different for the new bike. Those Darlas look great...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Doofus-

Glad you brought this up. I have been thinking about some additional lighting on the front. Recently purchased some XKGlow LED accent lighting. First, I like the LED underglow lights and thought they would provide additional visibility, especially from the side when crossing an intersection (traffic controlled or not).

While researching the various underglow lights available, I noticed that XKGlow also sold a crashbar mounted light.

Chrome Motorcycle Highway Bar Switchback Driving Lights DRL Turnsignal

I thought these looked pretty cool and seemed reasonably priced. They will wire into the lighting circuit and also function as turn signals.

-c

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been running with caliper mounted motolights on my road glides since 2007, started with the halogen bulbs and on the last two glides I have been using LED bulbs match up better with the rushmore lights. Recently noticed on a blog and related video of a group that did a recent trip to Nova Scotia and noticed in the video of portions of the trip that a few bikes were running with small white strobe lights, looked like single ones, one small light on each side in the lower fairing area, they were very noticeable from a distance, not like an emergency vehicle but noticeable. I have been researching mini white strobe lights and contemplating their installations.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ran Moto lights for 10 years. Never once did any one try to make a left hand turn in front on me. I live in Cali & people can't drive..Love the Moto lights

1 - 12 of 12 Posts