Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts

I just installed a police shock absorber seat on my 2018 RG, great improvement over the standard seat for solo riding.

How much $$$? How much higher than OEM? How difficult to install? Can it be easily swapped out for when I want to carry a pillion?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i was admiring one of those the other day at a dealer showroom. sure looks comfy to me.
bought a kit for a solo on the heritage but never installed it. life always gets in the way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's a couple inches taller than the stock seat, but the handlebars are still OK for me. Very comfortable, no bottoming out on freeway expansion joints.

I found on ebay for under $200, including the mounting hardware. At the dealer just the shock absorber was $269, total for mounting hardware was $462 not including the seat. Just check ebay for a late year take-off from a cop bike.

It took about an hour to install and looks like I can undo three nuts to remove and the stock seat will slip right back on, haven't tried it yet but should fit w/o issue over the shock as it is not as tall as a mount for rider backrest. Just start by removing the battery, it will save a lot of time vs. trying to get nuts started in the small gap between battery and the support piece for the shock absorber (would be the same if you're adding a rider backrest mount).

·
Registered
136 Posts

I just installed a police shock absorber seat on my 2018 RG, great improvement over the standard seat for solo riding.
I was thinking about this project myself. It a recent swap meet, I saw may used police seats but didn't buy one because I didn't know which ones would fit my 2017 RG. What is the manufacturer and part number for your seat? BTW it looks great!

·
Registered
136 Posts

I forgot to ask, is the handling greatly improved with the new seating position? I noticed this is an older post, are you still happy with it?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts

If I had longer legs, that's the seat I'd have. I think they look great and ride great.

·
Registered
773 Posts
There is a passenger pad that is designed to work the police spring seat. I know one of the salesmen at the dealership had an FLHTP with the spring seat and he had a bolt on passenger pad for his wife.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Emil,
I love the seat. It makes long rides a breeze and has helped with keeping my back comfortable due the more upright position. The bike handles "cone work" much better with the police seat and the raised seating position.
I don't know what model number it is, just a take off from a police bike that was traded in to my local dealer.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Looks killer and the bike too!

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you! She's really comfortable with that seat and the Ohlin shocks. In July I did an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000; 1039 miles in a little over 18 hours including food and rest stops. Felt so good that the next day rode for another 150 miles locally just for fun. No back or butt pain at all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When searching eBay, I saw one was a dealer that I was familiar with - Classic Iron in Fredericksburg, VA. They put together a complete kit with the seat, spring, pan, and front mount at a very reasonable price. I liked that they took the guess work out of what would fit and what wouldn't. I had been there years ago (they are about 2 hours away from me) but I had no idea about their used parts business. It is online and quite impressive.

I look forward to installing in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks
Emil

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sailronin Inspired me to finally do the cop seat project. I celebrated 50K with my 2017 Road Glide Ultra on the cop seat's first ride. I wish I had done this years ago. The bike is very comfortable and handles with better control at both low and high speeds.
IMG_E2201.JPG IMG_E2196.JPG
IMG_E2201.JPG
IMG_E2196.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts