Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is a 2012 RGU.
I haven't posted in a long time, mostly because I can search and find the info I need because you guys seem to have done it all and I love learning from ya. Anyway, I am thinking of polishing out my front forks. I did a small spot on the back side of one of my forks and it looks pretty good. I hit it with 1200 grit then 2000 and some polish after that and it came out pretty nice. I'm mostly wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Is there anything I should keep in mind? Pros or Cons? The front end right noe is stock and has the typical pits from the road and I just want to clean her up and not sink a fortune (that I don't have) into a chrome or black front end. I don't mind putting the elbow grease. Also if I go through with this, I planned on removing the front fender and wheel/tire. Is this a bad idea, anything to keep in mind with the ABS (which I DO have). Any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The only bad thing about do that is you have to stay on top of the polishing. Once you get done I would look for a polish with a sealer mixed in. I use stuff call MOJO on my truck wheels. Helps.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I did mine on my old SG. Took the sliders off and handsanded with progressively finer grits then used a Mothers foam ball and cordless drill to polish them on out. They'll never shine like chrome and take a good bit of maintenance to keep them up, but the price is right.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering on the mainanence side of it. A sealer is a good idea. I'll check out the mojo.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Lower chrome forks and cowbells are not that expensive check out http://www.willyshiny.com.
You can do the lower fork sliders for $175 for the pair and the chrome cowbells were around $90 from HD dealer.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I use an angle grinder with polishing pads and clay bars after the progressive sanding. You can buy clay bars at paint supply stores or truck stops. Generally a power ball with some mothers Polish keep thing shiny.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
They look good polished, but maintenance can be a pain I the azz, the plus side is unlike chrome you can always polish out imperfections, unlike chrome if it gets scratched, or pitted its re-chrome time. With a little work, and a good sealer they will last, and stay shiny for a while without polishing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
No experience with the forks, but I have polished my wheels and would think it would be similar. The wheels looked awesome when I was done, but took forever and got dull again quick. I want to change the wheels and chrome the forks, but budget hasn't allowed yet . . .

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the feed back. More than likely, I'll jump in and do it. Worst case: I replace with chrome or black anyway if maintenance proves too much or something gets screwed up.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I polished the forks on a Yamaha Venture. Looked good and held up well. No clear coat, just kept some polish on them. They were easy to maintain, as I recall.
Give it a try.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Pick up a set of chrome lowers that are slightly used, you'll thank god over and over for having real chrome instead of hours of polishing and buying compound and mother's power balls year after year. Plus chrome shines all the time, even when it's dirty! I picked up my lowers from a guy who took them of a CVO for like 200 bucks!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Chroming is a better option, looks better and a lot less maintenance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts