Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your fork lowers are scarred up from road rash and you are thinking about replacing them with chrome ones, another option is to strip your stock ones and polish them. What looks like brushed aluminum on the factory lowers is actually paint with powder coated clear coat.
I stripped mine with Rust-o-leum aircraft stripper, a wire brush drill attachment and sanded them with 2000 grit sandpaper with WD-40 as cutting oil.
I polished them with an orbital polisher and some aluminum wheel polish.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While I had the wheel off I sanded it and polished the rim. This is what it looks like after I got it all back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had most of what I needed already. I only spent about $15.00 and the best part is you don't have to disassemble your forks.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Looks good. How will they withstand the elements ??

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Definately looks great. It wont tarnish overnight but youll have to keep on it. Unprotected aluminum will need to be maintained more often to keep them looking good. Maybe polish them and then clear coat them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't ridden in the rain yet, but I waxed them with Griots Garage Best of Show wax and they should hold up well. With no clear coat they will be easy to keep polished.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Did this with a set of wheels on one of my Avalanches over the winter. Just put them back on the other day. Came out pretty damn good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts