Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just had the tour pak speakers installed and did the front fairing with the Polk 6.5 MM651 speakers. I have to say they are a HUGE improvement over those stock pieces of crap. I have not installed an amp yet but its amazing how much clearer the sound is now. Glad i spent the money. I spent less than the tourpak Boom speakers cost for 4 of the polks. I really wonder just how many of those Boom speakers are they really selling for that ridiculous amount of $$$

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Wait til you put an amp in. You'll notice a monster difference. I used the Polk DB series in the fairing without an amp for several years and it was way better than the stock speakers. this past winter I changed the radio, added an amp and speaker lids with polk db691 6x9 and WOW. Even better still

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been thinking about the amp already. I will be hitting the J&M booth up at Americade in 2 weeks. We shall see if we cant strike a deal lol. I will say after doing a 200 mile ride today that even blasting down the highway at 80 i can now hear the music and sing along. Before i couldn't hear what was playing and would just turn it off.

·
Registered
406 Posts
So i just had the tour pak speakers installed and did the front fairing with the Polk 6.5 MM651 speakers. I have to say they are a HUGE improvement over those stock pieces of crap. I have not installed an amp yet but its amazing how much clearer the sound is now. Glad i spent the money. I spent less than the tourpak Boom speakers cost for 4 of the polks. I really wonder just how many of those Boom speakers are they really selling for that ridiculous amount of $$$
How was the fitment for the tour pak with the 6.5's and what year is your bike

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see your using the Polk Audio speakers. They don't distort on you while your going down the road ? I had them installed and they seemed to distort while riding down the road. Once you were stopped and sitting still they sounded great Don't understand.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine is a 15 RGS too. I just picked it up Sunday. It has been sitting waiting on my king tourpak but it is on backorder until later this month. Killing me. I had the Polks in my 98RG and I loved them. I started out with an Alpine head unit and they sounded great(4 speakers, front and rear) and then I added a Soundstream amp and they would blow you off the bike and still have excellent sound quality. I want quality, not just quantity. That is why I am going back with them. Dealer tried hard to push their Boom2 but I said I didn't want expensive junk. Others are using the JBL GTO speakers but they aren't marine grade and the Polks have a higher sensitivity so they will sound better. They cost more but they have 2 year warranty and I know what to expect.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got a j&M 180 watt amp for the front 2 speakers. it really rocks now. only have to have it at half volume on the highway. Hell i actually had to turn it down the other day while ridding. Before the amp it was always maxed out. I did notice that when i installed the update for the radio i did loose some volume. I just really like Polk speakers and since these where marine grade it just made my decision that much easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Polk MM651 - coss over module

Spazeack - on your install of the MM651's, how/where did you mount/install the cross over module? I've been looking at the MM651's since Jan when I got my '15 RGS ... many thanks!

·
Registered
590 Posts
cross over

There is a small area under speaker hole towards the inner fering, with a little fudging Thay fit. if you use the stock speaker grills you will have too heat grills with hair dryer nice and warm almost hot and press into a tennis ball to create clearness for the tweeter 1/4 at most.and there a couple little nubs on the speaker ring on the bike that have to come off. razor knives works good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for the front fairing speakers i just tucked them in the speaker hole and secured them with some velcro tape. As for my tour pak speakers i have the cross overs on the back of the tour back using some double sided tape. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no problem enjoy!. i will also give you a tip if you haven't installed the latest firmware update DONT!!!! after i updated i noticed a loose of volume to my speakers. I have no installed an amp so it is no longer an issue. But i totally noticed a volume drop before hand. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Speaker vibration

I installed my Polk MM651s the other day and got to go for a HOT ride and noticed that I am getting a lot of bass vibration. Are you getting any of that?:confused: I took the outer fairing off and made sure all the screws were tight on the speaker enclosure but it did not help. I even put longer screws in to secure the speakers because they just barely tighten down with the thicker plates of the MM651. I taped down the extra speaker wires and wrapped the extra wire, that goes from the crossover to the speaker, around the crossover and taped it up so it stays secure. It also makes the crossover real snug when you put it down inside that pocket inside the speaker enclosures. Anyway, are you experiencing any vibrations? It is getting annoying and I am considering trying another speaker brand. I bought 2 sets of MM651 because I had them on my 1998RG and I loved them, especially with an amp driving them. Thanks.
Nick

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just ordered a set of MM651 speakers today, after reading all the posts hear on the site. Stock one are driving me crazy fading in and out. Looking forward to real sound. Also have RF BPR300x2 on the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts