·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I use it ?
Where should I use it ?
How do I use it ?
What exactly does it do ?

In the middle of my audio project adding (4) polk dxi 6.5's and a set of 6x9's to the lids and was wondering if this could help my system out in any way. Thanks

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I used it in my lowers with hawgwired xz 6.5's and to be honest I didn't noticed any difference at all. For shits and giggles i pulled all of it out of one and left it in another and it sounded the same.

All you do is pack the speaker hole with polyfill and your done. The sad thing is I used polyfill out of one of my daughters stuff animals lol...... She was throwing it away,but I still felt bad about it.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I thought about stuffing my fairing with poly after changing my amp. I didnt because I was worried about air movement in there and making it even hotter in there in the hot summers down here.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I got a roll of the small batting and wrapped my inner fairing speakers.... in theory it's supposed to slow down the sound waves and make it perform like it's in a larger enclosure.... It doesn't even come close to touching the amps so I don't think it will cause any temp issues... I just secured it with a couple long tie wraps one around the speaker adapter and one around the magnet...

http://www.roadglide.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=93561&d=1392253080

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I got a roll of the small batting and wrapped my inner fairing speakers.... in theory it's supposed to slow down the sound waves and make it perform like it's in a larger enclosure.... It doesn't even come close to touching the amps so I don't think it will cause any temp issues... I just secured it with a couple long tie wraps one around the speaker adapter and one around the magnet...

http://www.roadglide.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=93561&d=1392253080
Did you notice any difference in the sound?

·
Banned
845 Posts
Cover entire inner fairing, hey I have 2 brand new, unopened 3M packages of polyfill. I got it when I was doing my upgrade and went overkill, still leaving me with 2 packs..... i went overkill cause of the sale my local auto store had on it. I believe these 2 packs will cover the inner fairing, but If u would like them I will offer them to u at the same price I paid for them, $15 a pack, $30 for both + shipping. They are normally $35-$40 a pack locally.
Heres my inner, this is before I swapped out to the 3m brand, this was a cheaply made, cheaply bought knock off that sucked. Love the 3 m though. If u went and road before polyfilling the inner than went again once you installed it, the music is...... Hmmm.... Cleaner, louder, more tone..... Best way I can think to describe it. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1395289716.909364.jpg
Heres the 3m stuff - each pack is 50cmx50cm or 1ft6/7 x 1ft 6/7

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1395289984.279336.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
My J&M Rokkers came with that stuff and I put it on and the first thing I noticed was it was much harder to put on the outer fairing because the 1 inch thick poly make contact with the speakers and the glove boxes on both sides and I had to force the outer on bike. When I pulled the outer back off a couple of weeks later you could see all the indentations in the poly where everything made contact. I pulled the poly off and now the outer fairing is as easy as pie to install.
I did not notice any change in audio quality with the poly in or out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, I had been reading on other forums and keep hearing it mentioned like it was the greatest new invention

·
Banned
845 Posts
My J&M Rokkers came with that stuff and I put it on and the first thing I noticed was it was much harder to put on the outer fairing because the 1 inch thick poly make contact with the speakers and the glove boxes on both sides and I had to force the outer on bike. When I pulled the outer back off a couple of weeks later you could see all the indentations in the poly where everything made contact. I pulled the poly off and now the outer fairing is as easy as pie to install.

I did not notice any change in audio quality with the poly in or out.

thats why when you put the polly down you cut it out where the speaker magnets hit before buttoning everything back up....... not hard

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Are we referring to the polyfill as dynomat? I did my original outer fairing with dynomat when I upgraded the oem speakers and put the inner fairing speakers in. Music sounded good but can't honestly say how much better it did than before. I did notice the the outer was heavier but I figured that was just the. Ost of doing business.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I think some guys are confusing polyfil with sound deadner. The polyfil is the stuff like you put in pillows, you can take it and ty wrap it around your speakers in the fairing or lids, or stuff it in your lowers or speaker pods to help with the sound, basically bass. The sound deadner is put on the inside of the fairing to help decrease any rattle and improve the low mid and bass acoustics in your fairing speakers. IMO it works especially if you have speakers that are capable of producing a lot of bass, you don't notice the difference at low volume, the system has to be thumping a little.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
264 Posts
Should I use it ?
Where should I use it ?
How do I use it ?
What exactly does it do ?

In the middle of my audio project adding (4) polk dxi 6.5's and a set of 6x9's to the lids and was wondering if this could help my system out in any way. Thanks
Just got to work this morning and what a ride. I stuffed the polyfil into the speaker holes, right behind the woofer cone on my rokker 7.25s and in the garage it sounded better once I buttoned everything back up. But on the street, it is definitely more noticeable. The bass can actually be felt in the fairing now and the thump is cleaner and more pronounced. It was well worth the $3.63 I spent on a bag of it. Hell I only used two handfuls of it so I practically have an entire bag remaining. I think you should definitely try it. It makes a difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was deff talking about polyfill I think the one guy earlier in the thread was referring to sound deadener. So how do you keep it on the speakers ? Is it more of a loose material like say a bunch of cotton balls or is it made into more of a sheet that stays together. Anybody got a pic of the bag theirs came in.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was deff talking about polyfill I think the one guy earlier in the thread was referring to sound deadener. So how do you keep it on the speakers ? Is it more of a loose material like say a bunch of cotton balls or is it made into more of a sheet that stays together. Anybody got a pic of the bag theirs came in.
Its a loose material...the same stuff thats in teddy bears and pillows. I just stuffed a handful into the holes around the woofers. Made a huge difference to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wondering how I can keep it around my 6x9's in my lids and around my fairing speakers. I'm guessing that it would prob be best not to wrap tape around it because it may compress it, right ?

·
Registered
672 Posts
DO NOT stuff it in the speaker basket against the cone and spider!!! It slows the movement of the cone and heats the coil up and can cause failure.

The typical equation for polyfill use is 1 lb per cu. ft.

Like stated above wrap the speaker basket with it and zip tie it on. It will slow the sound waves down and produce better low/mid

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wasn't gonna stuff it in between the cone and grill, guess in my mind i just didn't see how a zip tie or similar could hold together a loose material, maybe I just need to buy a bag to get a understanding of how to use it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts