Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tranny main bearing has popped again and there are all kinds of shavings in the case; I haven't ripped it apart yet and not sure I am wanting to buy all the tools to do it myself, but I do know that I am not sticking the OE Harley transmission back in there again. Time to replace and improve while doing such.

I've narrowed the replacement choices between a Baker DD7 or a Grudge Box as a replacement. I've read as many threads as I think I can search on various forums for user feedback, and it has not swayed me towards one over another; there also seems to be few that have had both. So, I reach out to my fellow RG brethren to get some honest feedback from those that may know.

I just want a solid touring bike that I can pound out long days of riding of 6+ hours. In my neck of the woods there are many mountains and low speed limits, so cruising at 60mph+ is few and far between; I rarely hit 6th gear now on my bike. Plan on sticking with my 110" motor until it nukes, then I am open to motor ideas when that time comes - but it will be touring orientated. I have heard good things about the first 4 gears on the DD7 being well suited for heavy baggers, but I know I will rarely use that 7th gear. The Grudge Box keeps future options open for 120" and up motors should I ever choose to drop more cubes. Also, being Irish, the idea of keeping a grudge falls on virgin ears when you hit the sheets and never goes away, so there is that going for it.

Bike details: 2008 Twin Cam with 110" Screaming Eagle kit, S&S 585G cams, S&S cam plate/pump/lifters/push rods, Trask intake, Rinehart true duals (I know, not performance but I like the look). I plan to keep this bike for a very long time, I am not a guy that trades up, I will build up - which I have been doing on this bike through the years. The 110" is smelling a little smoke out the pipes, the cylinders may be starting to oval, so I am going to pull the heads to inspect. If the motor needs a refurb, then I will deal with what to do at that time, but going up or down are both options I will consider.

TL/DR : Is the DD7 worth considering because of the 1-4 gear ratios even though 7th gear will rarely get used? Should I go with a Grudge and keep future big blocks possibilities open? Any pros or cons against either of these two?

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Ian are You going to buy directly from Baker?
If so, it may be worth a call to them to see what they recommend.
I know that scotman623 put the Baker Grudge Box in his CVO and loves it.
Also, do You think a 7th gear is necessary?
I've been reading about the Grudge Box and I think if I ever need a transmission replacement I would go with that and The N1 Shift Pattern.
Best of Luck with Your Decision Brother.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My tranny main bearing has popped again and there are all kinds of shavings in the case; I haven't ripped it apart yet and not sure I am wanting to buy all the tools to do it myself, but I do know that I am not sticking the OE Harley transmission back in there again. Time to replace and improve while doing such.

I've narrowed the replacement choices between a Baker DD7 or a Grudge Box as a replacement. I've read as many threads as I think I can search on various forums for user feedback, and it has not swayed me towards one over another; there also seems to be few that have had both. So, I reach out to my fellow RG brethren to get some honest feedback from those that may know.

I just want a solid touring bike that I can pound out long days of riding of 6+ hours. In my neck of the woods there are many mountains and low speed limits, so cruising at 60mph+ is few and far between; I rarely hit 6th gear now on my bike. Plan on sticking with my 110" motor until it nukes, then I am open to motor ideas when that time comes - but it will be touring orientated. I have heard good things about the first 4 gears on the DD7 being well suited for heavy baggers, but I know I will rarely use that 7th gear. The Grudge Box keeps future options open for 120" and up motors should I ever choose to drop more cubes. Also, being Irish, the idea of keeping a grudge falls on virgin ears when you hit the sheets and never goes away, so there is that going for it.

Bike details: 2008 Twin Cam with 110" Screaming Eagle kit, S&S 585G cams, S&S cam plate/pump/lifters/push rods, Trask intake, Rinehart true duals (I know, not performance but I like the look). I plan to keep this bike for a very long time, I am not a guy that trades up, I will build up - which I have been doing on this bike through the years. The 110" is smelling a little smoke out the pipes, the cylinders may be starting to oval, so I am going to pull the heads to inspect. If the motor needs a refurb, then I will deal with what to do at that time, but going up or down are both options I will consider.

TL/DR : Is the DD7 worth considering because of the 1-4 gear ratios even though 7th gear will rarely get used? Should I go with a Grudge and keep future big blocks possibilities open? Any pros or cons against either of these two?
I went with the Grudge box because the M8 that I am having built will be 150/150. The stock tranny went boom with 130/147. If your not going to go big HP in the future I would go with the DD7 in my opinion. The Grudge box has straight cut gears so it will be louder. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the Grudge box because the M8 that I am having built will be 150/150. The stock tranny went boom with 130/147. If your not going to go big HP in the future I would go with the DD7 in my opinion. The Grudge box has straight cut gears so it will be louder. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.
Loud I can handle, heck, I have a 110" twin cam, loud should be its first name. I'm starting to lean towards the Grudge Box, I just don't read much about them for touring longevity, just from riders where the hp is over 130, which I currently not up there - but that does leave open future options.

Ian are You going to buy directly from Baker?
If so, it may be worth a call to them to see what they recommend.
I know that scotman623 put the Baker Grudge Box in his CVO and loves it.
Also, do You think a 7th gear is necessary?
I've been reading about the Grudge Box and I think if I ever need a transmission replacement I would go with that and The N1 Shift Pattern.
Best of Luck with Your Decision Brother.
Mike U.
I may buy direct or through a dealer, getting things up North here can cost an arm and a leg.

I don't think I could adjust to the N1 pattern, to be honest. I also use a Rekluse clutch so the thought of the N1 is redundant; however, I did talk to Baker last week about the DD7 and they said they have had some riders with issues using a Rekluse with the DD7. Either way, the upgrades will be expensive and if a new clutch and pipes are in order, then I wish to do it right now and then just ride till it pops something else.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I went with the normal shift pattern. Not sure I needed the N1 and like you not sure I could get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I would go Grudge - I had the DD7 on my '15 and 1st is a creeper gear really so you shift immediately into 2nd - Also, having a 7 speed messed with my gear indicator all over the place - It either read "1' in 1st or "6" when I hit 7th.....never changed on 2-6

Plus, I think the Grudge is newer from a technology perspective as the DD7 has been around since the DD6 inception basically

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I called Steve again at Baker, discussed the Grudge Box and also the 'issues' that he mentioned last time with Rekluse clutches. Based on where I drive and leaving open the possibility for a larger motor with more ponies down the road, he agreed that the Grudge Box is the best choice for me. Regarding the Rekluse, he says that he has heard complaints about them causing the shifts to be a little harder, but they do not cause any damage to their transmissions. So, I will just put the Rekluse back in and address any clutch issues down the road.

Thanks gents.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Buying something for your scooter that is bullet-proof, is always a good idea
Only thing that matters is, Do you Need it or Want it?

Reactions: freedom1974

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buying something for your scooter that is bullet-proof, is always a good idea
Only thing that matters is, Do you Need it or Want it?
I do need it (this is the second tranny to go) and with little options in the market other than HD parts which I know I don't want, I have to once again answer yes, I want it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts