Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'd like to THANK Harley-Davidson stealerships for charging their outrageous prices to do the basic 1000-mile maintenance. I'm a relatively lazy guy and I don't mind spend a little money on service but $400? Puh-lease!

Second, I have to thank everyone hear that has shared their insightful tips and photos on the various threads. There is no mystery to working on these bikes. I did all my basic maintenance on my BMW and the HD was no worse, and in fact even easier on some things.

I probably ended up spending at least $300 as I had to 'gear up' for this since all my tools were metric for the Beemer. But the next time it will only cost me for the fluids and filter.

Anyway, I took my time and went REALLY slow, double checking, re-reading threads, re-watching some videos, and it still only took me a couple hours. Next time it will be probably 45 minutes.

I was not able to grease the steering head bearing because my grease gun nozzle is solid (not flexible) and in the cramped space I could not get the angle needed to make the attachment. So I'll have to get a flexible nozzle and then I should be fine. I'll post back here once that is done.

My only 'panic moment' came when putting the oil filter back on. On my BMW the filter threaded rod is very long and it takes quite a while to thread the filter onto it. So when I put the HD filter on it only took a few turns and started to seat but I thought it was too soon and I was freaking out that I was cross threading the filter so I kept taking it off and trying again. Finally I figured that it's just a really short thread and seats pretty quickly.

So now just a few things left to do - greasing the steering head bearing, check the critical fastener torques, and wash. Yep, that was too easy, and SO not worth the money they charge for it.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Dont know if you have it already or not but its totally worth buying the service manual if you plan on doing any work on your scoot yourself. Once you get down and look at it, its not very difficult to work on. alil elbow grease never hurt. Good job

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have the manual, not that I needed it much thanks to all the great threads here!

I agree on the highway robbery. That's the stealership closest to me. The place I bought from was $325 - still ridiculous, in my opinon.

I like performing my own maintenance. That way I know it's been done right! And with the savings I can buy cool new farkles for the bike.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Good for you man. I know it feels good when you do it yourself. You'll find because of this forum you'll be tackling all sorts of things you didn't think you could do.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Its always a good feeling to know you can do it yourself so congrats. And don't have a "panic moment" when you do get around to greasing those head bearings and it takes damn near a whole tube before grease starts coming out because "they all do that" :D

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
As they say, Priceless.

However... Dealer here is also $400 which I did not pay thank you. But, the fluids and filter cost about $85.... So 3 hours book time of $110/hr (local rate!). IF I was in a hurry that's not terrible... But since you mentioned BMW... I know this same service from BMW would be More $$

I recommend getting the HD special purpose grease cartridge for greasing your neck. They have a special grease which they've settled on after having plenty of problems in the past. It's roughly same cost as the premium moly/synth stuff at an autoparts place. But it's known commodity. You're going to use most of the tube the first time...

My front engine mount bolts were well under min torque. Glad I checked them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
congratulations on a job well done, im sure everyone is a little nervous the first time around. After seeing how easy it is on these newer bikes you wonder why the dealer charges so much????? Heck you dont even have to adjust the primary chain anymore....

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I like the Valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil from Autozone $4.99 qt. (less 20% with reward card). I use the Harley black filter...$10 with my MVP discount. So an oil & filter change cost me about $26 in parts. I use the HD Formula for the primary and tranny. I change all fluids at 1/2 the recommended intervals. always looks clean and no metal on the magnetic plugs. Get yourself 2 funnels at Walmart with the clear fill tubes....cost $5 each. Label 1 "Oil" label the other "Primary/Tranny". These funnels have measuring marks and you can turn on/off at the fill tubes. You also have no waste as the filler tubes has a cap and there is no contamination as the funnel has a lid.

Congrats on doing your service yourself. Makes u feel good knowing it is done right and that the $10 an hour "tech" did not cross thread your drain plug.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I do all my maintenance and have never had a warranty or extended warranty issue ~ I have never even been asked to provide receipts for materials for services. I have logged 170k on HD's since 06 and could not afford to go to the Boutiques for maintenance ~ not to mention the lack of attention to detail (including torque specs) on my bikes ~ so If I can do it I will, if I am absolutely positively sure it is a warranty/extended warranty repair that I cannot complete without spending more than $50 on parts it goes to the boutique. Every new bike ~ I walk to the counter and order the service manual.... Well worth the money ~ and is paid for in ONE oil change...

·
Registered
333 Posts
1000 mile maintenance is free on all bikes sold at the dealer where I bought my RG. I guess that's unusual. When I bring it home from that, I will still go over it myself. From there on all mantenance is by me as with the last 6 HD's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts