Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to send my heads out to get ported. I've done a bunch of research but I still don't know where to send them. I don't want to spend over 900-1K.
Where would you guys recommend?

I was looking at

Fuelmoto
Bigboyz
Vee twin
where else?

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. I don't want to spend money that I don't need to. This is on a 13 RG with Powervision,V&H propipe,Woods 555 cams.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not sure about the money, but sure about the performance and service at TMan Performance. They are known for the performance work, especially with their heads. Check them out here: http://tmanperformance.com/. I am also running their 555TQ cams and they are awesome.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Word of advice, don't pick one set of head over another just because one says "CNC" and costs twice as much.

Head porting is all about getting the proper size, shape and finish in the right places. The trick is in getting the right port and being able to repeat it. You can get an awesome porting job by hand, it just takes longer and is hard to get it the same time after time. Repeatability is where the advantage is in CNC porting. A piss-poor port is a piss-poor port no matter what was used to cut it.

This is not to say there are not CNC heads that are not WELL worth the money, there are, but they're just as hard to find as the really good hand ported heads.

Do some poking around and reading, you'll find some that consistently float to the top.

·
Registered
339 Posts
S&S Heads

I bought this and it was quick and easy and for the price I still kept my stock heads
S&S Cycle Super Stock Cylinder Heads for Twin Cam - 79cc - Black 106-3233
by S&S Cycle
List Price: $1,298.95
Price: $963.16
Product Description
High port flow gives great performance now, and more later when additional upgrades are done
Heads are fully assembled with springs and valves, and are available in silver or black powder-coat finish to match OEM components
Compression ratios vary depending on cylinder heads chosen, pistons used and engine displacement
79cc heads work great with stock motors for 88 to 103 motors
79cc have 1.940 intake and 1.575 exhaust valve and springs for up to .640 lift
79cc heads accept OEM rocker boxes
Heads are machined for compression releases (sold separately); S&S rocker boxes required when using S&S compression releases
Do not include rocker arm components, intake manifold, gaskets or headbolts (requires eight long OEM length head bolts)
Accept OEM intake manifolds
Made in the U.S.A.

Or larger
S&S Cycle Super Stock Cylinder Heads for Twin Cam - 89cc - Black 106-3240

S&S 106 inch Big Bore Black Kit for 2007-2011 Harley Davidson Big Twin
$652.46
S&S Cycle Super Stock Cylinder Heads for Twin Cam - 89cc - Black 90-1106
$978.59
S&S Cycle Super Stock Cylinder Heads for Twin Cam - 79cc - Black 90-1293
$978.59

Product Description
High port flow gives great performance now, and more later when additional upgrades are done
Heads are fully assembled with springs and valves, and are available in silver or black powder-coat finish to match OEM components
Compression ratios vary depending on cylinder heads chosen, pistons used and engine displacement
89cc heads work best for motors over 103in or with high-compression pop-up pistons
89cc have 2.000 intake and 1.605 exhaust and .640 springs
89cc heads accept S&S rocker boxes only (PART #90-4110)
Heads are machined for compression releases (sold separately); S&S rocker boxes required when using S&S compression releases
Do not include rocker arm components, intake manifold, gaskets or headbolts (requires eight long OEM length head bolts)
Accept OEM intake manifolds
Made in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Don't waste your money JMO!!! The torque gain for the money is is not a good trade off. I did a 103 Stage IV on my bike with high compression pistons and heads that were ported and polished and the SE 259E cam 58mm Throttle body and 5.3 grams per second injectors and my bike didn't put out any more torque then my 103 with the SE255 cam with stock heads. The only thing I got out of the deal was less mpg and a bike that is not as good of a cruising touring model HD because I had to keep the bike in a higher rpm power band range.

Do a search on the forum and you will find 103 engines with a good low end torque cam putting out 105 lbs or more of torque and the 103 stage IV builds just doing 110 to 115 lbs of torque, not a big bang for the bucks.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ironmark you are comparing SE heads to properly flowed heads. It's not a fair comparison. With your 259 cam and the big bathtub heads the gains are all up in the high RPM range vs low/mid. IMO you can't compare SE "Stage IV" to a real stage IV...

Properly flowed heads bring gains across the board when paired with the right cams AND won't trash the low/mid.

My 95" gave up no power off idle and big gains clear out to redline. Mileage was better than my stock 103. Mileage was even better when I dumped the EFI and installed a carb (close to 50 on the road).

Be realistic and honest as to how you ride and listen to the recommendations of the guy doing the port work. Success depends on properly matched components.

If you never spin the motor over 3500 rpm skip the heads and go with a simple bolt in cam and save money for beer.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I would stay with who ever you buy the cam from. Dragos likes Tman cams and probably ports to those flow numbers. Fuel moto if u like the woods cam. Or Tman himself. I myself would go with a tman 555tq, 555C, or a 600sm if your doing heads. Dragos or Tman are your best bet. Proven time and time again. Take your time and call these guys.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Agree here apples to apples . That been said T-Man and Dragos will both give some great advice and they are the experts. Do some reading and listen to what others have done and how it worked out . SE is bargain basement if you qaulity do some searches, there is some great products avaliable.

Ironmark you are comparing SE heads to properly flowed heads. It's not a fair comparison. With your 259 cam and the big bathtub heads the gains are all up in the high RPM range vs low/mid. IMO you can't compare SE "Stage IV" to a real stage IV...

Properly flowed heads bring gains across the board when paired with the right cams AND won't trash the low/mid.

My 95" gave up no power off idle and big gains clear out to redline. Mileage was better than my stock 103. Mileage was even better when I dumped the EFI and installed a carb (close to 50 on the road).

Be realistic and honest as to how you ride and listen to the recommendations of the guy doing the port work. Success depends on properly matched components.

If you never spin the motor over 3500 rpm skip the heads and go with a simple bolt in cam and save money for beer.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a lot of homework to do lol. I tried to pm drago about his cylinder heads and didn't get any of my questions answered. I'm still waiting on a reply from a week ago. That just didn't set with me right.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a lot of homework to do lol. I tried to pm drago about his cylinder heads and didn't get any of my questions answered. I'm still waiting on a reply from a week ago. That just didn't set with me right.
Dont pm him. Just call him Dragos bike Works.com or Hillside. Check out more posts about heads and cams. aThe Education is free.

·
Registered
339 Posts
http://hammerperf.com/tcporting.shtml

CNC HEAD PORTING
For Twin Cam
HAMMER PERFORMANCE is your source for the best performing Twin Cam heads out there!
CNC Porting Operation on a Harley Davidson Twin Cam Cylinder Head for Maximum Flow and Power

After years of development, we have what we believe to be the best port designs available for your Twin Cam heads. But we didn't stop there; to ensure consistency and quality in every head we ship, we also developed an exclusive 4-axis CNC process to expertly port your Twin Cam heads, including the unique ability to custom-size your Twin Cam's ports to the exact combination in your motor.

We offer three levels of CNC porting service for Twin Cam Heads:

The Impact service treats your heads to our exclusive and proven 4-Axis CNC port treatment, followed by hand finishing, bronze manganese valve guides, a custom radius valve job, sizing of the chambers to achieve your desired compression ratio, and decking your heads to get a perfectly flat gasket surface.

The Smash service adds to that our premium quality high flow oversized stainless steel valves and a spring/retainer pack that allows more lift and more aggressive cam lobe profiles.

The Sledge service adds even bigger valves (with a seat change if needed), plus a port configuration custom sized to your specific engine and intended usage, as well as any optional special services such as angled squish bands or external head drains.

The pictures below show some of the steps that ALL levels of head porting service include.

CNC Machining the Deck on a Harley Davidson Cylinder Head for Proper Sealing and Chamber Size Performing a Competition High Performance Valve Job on Harley Davidson Twin Cam Cylinder Head
Impact - $550:
Make a Big Impact on your Bike's Performance!

The Impact level is a perfect match for bolt-in cams and street type exhaust systems, giving a wide powerband and a smooth running engine, with the reliability and longevity you demand.
CNC Ported Cylinder Heads for a Harley Davidson Twin Cam

We start by stripping down your heads, cleaning them thoroughly, and inspecting them for any defects.

We then run them through our exclusive 4-Axis CNC porting process which sizes and shapes the ports for maximum torque over a wide rpm range. The CNC machine is also used to open up the seat diameters and rough in the valve job. A hand finishing process is then applied to the ports and bowls which basically compensates for variances in castings.

Next, new bronze manganese guides are carefully pressed-in and sized followed by an exclusive radius valve job on the seats, paying special attention to the target stem protrusion and resultant spring installed height. We reface your valves, lap them into the seats, and despite the incredible repeatability of the CNC process, we flow test every head as a quality check.

Your chambers are then sized for your target compression ratio with the pistons you intend to use and the head is decked for a perfectly flat gasket surface.

Finally, we test your springs for proper seat pressure and travel, and assemble the heads with new high-temperature viton stem seals.

The end result is a set of heads that are better-than-new. They will tremendously outperform the stock heads and can take much better advantage of your performance cams and exhaust system.

We've had numerous customers break 100rwhp using this level of head prep on their Twin Cam. It's a truly a superb performance value.

Measuring the Combustion Chamber Volume on a Harley Davidson Twin Cam Head Flow Testing a Harley Davidson Twin Cam Valve Head for Maximum Performance
Smash - $800-$850:
If you're looking to Smash your competition, this service is for you!
CNC Ported Cylinder Heads for a Harley Davidson Twin Cam

The Smash level is a definite step up the performance ladder, for riders who want a HOT street or entry level race bike.

All of the same services as the Impact level are applied to the heads: thorough cleaning and inspection, 4-Axis CNC porting, new bronze manganese guides, our exclusive competition valve job, chamber sizing, decking, flow testing and assembly with new viton valve stem seals.

But there are a couple of key differences. Number one, we include a set of our oversized high flowing stainless steel valves, all the way up to 1.900" intake and 1.615" exhaust. Naturally, we set up your ports and seats to match these large valves. The end result is substantially more flow than can be achieved with the stock valves.

Second, we pair these new valves with a brand new high lift performance spring pack. The exact spring pack we'll use is selected specifically for your application (cam grind and maximum rpm); more spring than necessary causes extra wear and less than necessary causes valve float or worse.

For moderate lift cams (up to .550") and rpm ranges we recommend the factory beehive spring pack, which will save you some money. For more severe applications we'll set your heads up one of our top quality Hammer Performance dual spring packs (we have spring packs all the way up to .700 lift!)and include 10 degree locks and titanium retainers.

Either way, a set of Smash heads will take you to a whole new performance level. 110+rwhp on 95ci is not unusual with these heads and matching components. They also make a great set of street heads for any size motor.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Frank is probably the busiest guy on this forum. He will give you the best advice before you spend a dime with him. But you have to pick up the phone and make the call. Leave a message and he will call you back. I know from experience that he will save you time and money.

I did a pretty major build on my 01 RK including hand ported heads, pistons, gear drive cams, cam support plate, oil pump, 4 different sets of pipes, 3 different tuners. When it was all said and done, I wasted a lot of money. On my 13 RGC, I read this forum and did market research on the biggest bang available for the buck. Then I called Frank. He took the time to listen and offer advice that hit the mark. I am running his Dragula 2:1 pipes, TMax tuner, max flow breather, TMan 555TQ cams and love it.

I've been riding for a long time but have never gotten better service and advice in the motorcycle industry from anyone like Frank. He is the real deal if you want to do it right. Make that call. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll give him a call in the morning. I got the heads off and ready to go.

thanks

Frank is probably the busiest guy on this forum. He will give you the best advice before you spend a dime with him. But you have to pick up the phone and make the call. Leave a message and he will call you back. I know from experience that he will save you time and money.

I did a pretty major build on my 01 RK including hand ported heads, pistons, gear drive cams, cam support plate, oil pump, 4 different sets of pipes, 3 different tuners. When it was all said and done, I wasted a lot of money. On my 13 RGC, I read this forum and did market research on the biggest bang available for the buck. Then I called Frank. He took the time to listen and offer advice that hit the mark. I am running his Dragula 2:1 pipes, TMax tuner, max flow breather, TMan 555TQ cams and love it.

I've been riding for a long time but have never gotten better service and advice in the motorcycle industry from anyone like Frank. He is the real deal if you want to do it right. Make that call. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would stay with who ever you buy the cam from. Dragos likes Tman cams and probably ports to those flow numbers. Fuel moto if u like the woods cam. Or Tman himself. I myself would go with a tman 555tq, 555C, or a 600sm if your doing heads. Dragos or Tman are your best bet. Proven time and time again. Take your time and call these guys.
Yea; What he said.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We have 4 different Stages of T/C heads, for the dedicated applications
2 Stages of Evo, and Evo XL Heads.
2 Stages of 110" Heads.
2 Stages of S&S castings.
We also port Shovelheads.
We've been doing cylinder head work here for over 20 years.
Happy to lend a hand is your so inclined.
Scott

P

·
0 Posts
one of the most important (and most overlooked),is to make sure your heads are done for your build.we dont have "done" heads laying around as with any degree of our (and any decent porter) headwork will be done differently for different RPM,compression and cam set ups.headwork is not a "fits one,fits all".do your homework

1 - 20 of 20 Posts