Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting alil ticking sound which sounds like valve train noise in the higher rpm range every once in a while. It's not a hard engine knock but more of a tick. It's not too bad but I happened to notice it tonight on the way home from work. I know there's been people reporting lifters leaking down. It's a bone stock 96" with 45k miles that's never been opened up other than for compensator issues. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Note.. the bike runs great other than the occasional noise

·
Registered
989 Posts
It's very possible that at 45k miles, you could use a new set of lifters. I'm assuming you are running the original lifters and they could be getting a little tired by now.

Lil Chief

Reactions: rlaf75

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I would just ride the thing and turn up your stereo. These bikes just make a ton of noise and clatter. It used to drive me nuts, but everything's been fine after tens of thousands of miles, I've decided I cant let it bother me anymore.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would just ride the thing and turn up your stereo. These bikes just make a ton of noise and clatter. It used to drive me nuts, but everything's been fine after tens of thousands of miles, I've decided I cant let it bother me anymore.
Normally I agree with you but this noise is brand new within the past 100 or so miles so I want to nip this in the bud before it becomes something more than a slight valve train noise

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's very possible that at 45k miles, you could use a new set of lifters. I'm assuming you are running the original lifters and they could be getting a little tired by now.

Lil Chief
That's what I was thinking. I know there's been some concerns about them failing. I also read a thread about automotive lifters can be swapped instead of "harley" lifters. I'm gonna have to dig that one back up and rifle through it again

·
Registered
989 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I know there's been some concerns about them failing. I also read a thread about automotive lifters can be swapped instead of "harley" lifters. I'm gonna have to dig that one back up and rifle through it again
Honestly, I'd get some s&s standards or the comp cams 850-1 and be one & done with it. There's nothing wrong with the 850-1 lifters, and I think you can get em thru Summit Racing for like $17 each.
Lil Chief

Reactions: FrankieB and rlaf75

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I think most of the concern was with the lifters in the 110"

I don't remember seeing any issues with the 96" engines and their lifters. I know I had 64k on mine when I traded it and it sounded and ran as good as it did when it had 20k on it. Did you by chance change helmets recently maybe due to warmer weather like from a 3/4 or full face to a 1/2? I know when I wear my modular for a while and then switch to a half I think "Holy cow this thing is noisy!" And then after a while I realize it's no louder than it was and it's not even that loud of a noise.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think most of the concern was with the lifters in the 110"

I don't remember seeing any issues with the 96" engines and their lifters. I know I had 64k on mine when I traded it and it sounded and ran as good as it did when it had 20k on it. Did you by chance change helmets recently maybe due to warmer weather like from a 3/4 or full face to a 1/2? I know when I wear my modular for a while and then switch to a half I think "Holy cow this thing is noisy!" And then after a while I realize it's no louder than it was and it's not even that loud of a noise.
I get what you're saying but I don't wear a helmet. This is definitely a new noise

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, I'd get some s&s standards or the comp cams 850-1 and be one & done with it. There's nothing wrong with the 850-1 lifters, and I think you can get em thru Summit Racing for like $17 each.
Lil Chief
The way I look at it is if I can put a set of lifters in it won't hurt even if that isn't my problem. I'm not easy on the bike and it owes me nothing. So for a few bucks and a couple hours of my time I'll go with a set of new lifters and see what happens

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Any chevy 350 LS1 lifter will work but you may want to get a mechanics stethoscope (cost $10 to $15) and listen for the source of the noise before assuming it is the lifters, noise has a funny way of traveling and it could be anything such as a loose exhaust baffle for example.
If the lifter bleeds down you will usually hear the ticking when the bike is first started after the engine has been sitting for awhile and the ticking will go away after the lifter pumps back up. If the roller bearing on the lifter is going bad you will hear more of a squeaking noise which usually happens at higher RPM but as the roller get worst it will happen at lower RPM too.

Reactions: RoadRider

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any chevy 350 LS1 lifter will work but you may want to get a mechanics stethoscope (cost $10 to $15) and listen for the source of the noise before assuming it is the lifters, noise has a funny way of traveling and it could be anything such as a loose exhaust baffle for example.
If the lifter bleeds down you will usually hear the ticking when the bike is first started after the engine has been sitting for awhile and the ticking will go away after the lifter pumps back up. If the roller bearing on the lifter is going bad you will hear more of a squeaking noise which usually happens at higher RPM but as the roller get worst it will happen at lower RPM too.
I have heard a slight squealing for a sec or two along with a ticking while cold starting. Only lasts a few seconds and it's done. Then I'll hear the ticking higher up in the rpm range usually 2500 to 3500ish maybe

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any chevy 350 LS1 lifter will work
When you say "any" will work, does that still apply if I decide to keep the stock push rods or will I need to go with adjustable rods?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Nothing more annoying then noises appearing that wasn't there before. Sounds like lifters, I'd definitely check heat shields, baffles first. V&H is one brand that baffles tend to vibrate like crazy at higher rpms, happened on my brothers bike. Squeaking can be the rubber bushing on rear muffler mount, happened to me & drove me nuts. Sometimes it shifts out of place or just needs a sqirt of lube.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
When you say "any" will work, does that still apply if I decide to keep the stock push rods or will I need to go with adjustable rods?
You can use any brand chevy LT1 lifter and still use the stock pushrods. Personally I would suggest going with the adjustable pushrods just because it will make future lifter and cam chest R&R easier.
Your 09 may still have the HD "B" lifter which was a pretty dependable lifter, the newer bikes have the HD "C" lifters which are the lifters that have a history of failure.
The squeak you hear is a sign that the roller bearing is going bad and it is usually the rear cylinder lifters that go bad first.

Reactions: rlaf75

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Rob, is the noise you're hearing coming from the top of the engine?
If so, it may be the rocker arms moving side to side.
I read about this in another forum.
There's a shim kit made to tighten up the play.
If that's what's causing your ticking you can find the kit on Amazon they're called Rocker Lockers.
Best of Luck tracking the problem.
Mike U.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
483 Posts
"...Your 09 may still have the HD "B" lifter which was a pretty dependable lifter, the newer bikes have the HD "C" lifters..."

For the sake of argument, I'll go along with the "A" and "B" motor debate (Although the "B" simply stood for the Balanced Softail model), but what is the "C" motor you speak of Ironmark?

·
Registered
989 Posts
"...Your 09 may still have the HD "B" lifter which was a pretty dependable lifter, the newer bikes have the HD "C" lifters..."

For the sake of argument, I'll go along with the "A" and "B" motor debate (Although the "B" simply stood for the Balanced Softail model), but what is the "C" motor you speak of Ironmark?
I don't think he's speaking of motors, he's speaking about lifters. The stock twin cam lifters all have the same part number, followed by a letter designation. The A's were in the early TC's, then the B's up until 2010-2011. The A's & B's are now obsolete. HD changed manufacturers and now uses the C lifter, which are made in Mexico and are complete junk. Whenever HD changes something on a part, such as manufacturers, they'll redesignate the same part number with a letter. If a guy can find a set of new old stock B's, I'd suggest buying them. They really are/were good lifters.

Lil Chief

Reactions: RoadRider

·
Registered
132 Posts
I guess I'm not really sure what lifter noise sounds like... but if it's like a tapping/klinking/knocking (as in low octane) noise, then you may want to check for loose screws on your timer cover. I had that noise mentioned above on my wife's 2010 Road King, with about 48K miles at the time, and I could swear it was coming from the top of the engine... My wife, with better hearing than me evidently, narrowed it down to the lower right side, and sure enough, a few of the timer cover screws had gotten loose - you could tap the cover with a knuckle and hear it banging like a klanking noise. I put some loctite on them, put them back on, and noise was gone.

Maybe it's not your issue, but worth checking into IMO.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I don't think he's speaking of motors, he's speaking about lifters. The stock twin cam lifters all have the same part number, followed by a letter designation. The A's were in the early TC's, then the B's up until 2010-2011. The A's & B's are now obsolete. HD changed manufacturers and now uses the C lifter, which are made in Mexico and are complete junk. Whenever HD changes something on a part, such as manufacturers, they'll redesignate the same part number with a letter. If a guy can find a set of new old stock B's, I'd suggest buying them. They really are/were good lifters.

Lil Chief
Correct!

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
I guess I'm not really sure what lifter noise sounds like... but if it's like a tapping/klinking/knocking (as in low octane) noise, then you may want to check for loose screws on your timer cover. I had that noise mentioned above on my wife's 2010 Road King, with about 48K miles at the time, and I could swear it was coming from the top of the engine... My wife, with better hearing than me evidently, narrowed it down to the lower right side, and sure enough, a few of the timer cover screws had gotten loose - you could tap the cover with a knuckle and hear it banging like a klanking noise. I put some loctite on them, put them back on, and noise was gone.

Maybe it's not your issue, but worth checking into IMO.
He ain't getting that lucky. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts