Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I dont have any of myself as I did not serve but this is my father on the right during his tour in Vietnam. He is currently 73 years old. Thank you to ALL that serve this great country
View attachment 423967
Fact is, most of us will NEVER be that F’n cool or badass.

·
Administrator
11,015 Posts
2007. Did a meet and greet with GWB.
View attachment 424049
Ha a bubblehead !! Started life as one , graduated from TM sub in Orlando then went to Groton for sub school and we had the escape tank with Steinke hood , think they use something else now , but it was a CO2 vest with a hood , pressure to 100' then about three seconds after you step in the bottom of the tank you are at the top , you had to exhale and scream while doing it to keep your lungs from exploding .. Got about ten feet from the top and a diver snatched me out . Next two tries I blew my ear drums while in the pressure tank , so doc sent me surface .. First ship they let me convert to GMG from TM , only so much skating you can do as a surface TM ..

JtB

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ha a bubblehead !! Started life as one , graduated from TM sub in Orlando then went to Groton for sub school and we had the escape tank with Steinke hood , think they use something else now , but it was a CO2 vest with a hood , pressure to 100' then about three seconds after you step in the bottom of the tank you are at the top , you had to exhale and scream while doing it to keep your lungs from exploding .. Got about ten feet from the top and a diver snatched me out . Next two tries I blew my ear drums while in the pressure tank , so doc sent me surface .. First ship they let me convert to GMG from TM , only so much skating you can do as a surface TM ..

JtB
lol. That’s pretty much it. And yes those hoods are long gone. They were replaced with the SEIE suit https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_Escape_Immersion_Equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Fact is, most of us will NEVER be that F’n cool or badass.
I am proud to be his son. Unfortunately now he's riddled with health issues that's making his life much harder than it's supposed to be. My regret is I didn't follow in his footsteps and enlist to serve my country. Ive been told that I do serve in different ways but it's just not the same as the men and women that make and have made the ultimate sacrifice for this great nation.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
@JacktheBagger that's a great spread, thanks--love seeing old Navy pics. Practically sci fi compared to the kind of life most of us live. My sister in law and her hubby are retired Navy, and tell the best stories

Reactions: Oclaf
21 - 40 of 58 Posts