Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, 09/10/2017, a car pulled out in front of me which I hit and went over the bars landing on my tailbone. By shear luck, I "slooowly" walked out of the hospital 8 hours later with no more than significant soft tissue damage to my tailbone area. 15 months later and the only time I am in pain is when I ride (2017 RGS). I can only ride for about 30 - 40 minutes without stopping due to pain, which last for several days after a ride.

I am looking for seat recommendations considering the circumstances. I have already tried the following: Stock Seat, Harley Tall Boy Seat, Harley Hammock Seat, Gel-infused Harley Low Profile Touring seat. The Hammock seat was the most comfortable and relieved most the pain...problem is the Hammock seat does not work with my 6'-4" frame (not far enough back). I have spoken with Mustang, Seat Concepts, and Corbin about my situation and all claim they have a seat that may work.

I have read countless forum threads and seat reviews and I know everyone has a seat opinion. What I am asking is, before I drop more money on another seat, does anyone have any thoughts on which seat may work considering my situation. A seat that may distribute my weight in a different way... or maybe an "out of the box" thought.

Unfortunately, I am at the point of considering another style of bike (ie. sport touring or adventure) that has a riding position removing weight from the tail bone. The last thing I want to do is go to a different bike, but after 15 months post accident, countless doctor visits, therapy, and trying different seats, it may be my only option to keep riding without pain.

Any and all thoughts/comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There are some companies that redo the foam and contour of seats and will alter them to your needs. There is a place I cannot recall at the moment that you have to schedule your seat work....
If you dig around the seat subforum you should find reference to them. You may speak with them to talk about your challenges and hopefully they may have a solution.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm going to suggest a different set of shocks. 13" Legend Revo-A shocks may be a better option than a seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to suggest a different set of shocks. 13" Legend Revo-A shocks may be a better option than a seat.

Should have mentioned it in the original post, but already swapped stock suspension with the Legend Revo A. Had them on my old bike and was one of my first modifications...great suspension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a Harley Road Zeppelin seat on an Electra Glide a few years back and it was very comfortable for the long rides we took. If you start to get uncomfortable, you can pump some air in or let some air out and continue the ride in comfort. I'm 6'3", and while the seat did not allow me to be further from the dash, I didn't feel cramped. I'm currently using a Harley Tall Boy Seat on the Road Glide. Mean City Cycle installed the Comfort Foam option with no other modifications, and I find it much more comfortable than the stock stuffing. They have good reviews on their other seat modifications too.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
different seats may help.... but until you find what helps, i suggest getting a prescription for this, diclofenac (Voltaren)
i had similar experience and seats, pads and so on did nothing. 100mg of diclofenac the day before a ride, and the day of, never had any pain.. if you take it everyday, you'll be straight all the time, but it can damage internals, so i limited its use, to only big ride days ..

hope you find something that works

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ouch!

Ibroke my tailbone years ago. The only way i could sit was on a inner tube for a wheelbarrow tire! Trust me it works. You can adjust pressure to your comfort. I know it will make you sit up higher but try it. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ibroke my tailbone years ago. The only way i could sit was on a inner tube for a wheelbarrow tire! Trust me it works. You can adjust pressure to your comfort. I know it will make you sit up higher but try it. Good luck.
That's some good advice, I guess it's the same concept with some custom seats that are hollowed out in tailbone area for less pressure

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Check out the Cycle Pedic seat by Rush Performance. I have their old style cycle pedic which does not have the exposed channel and love it. I never feel my tailbone and ride 700-800 mile days often.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nordic, Look around your area for a custom seat builder. Locally (Pacific Northwest) I have Rich's seats, I think there are others in different areas. They will take your stock seat and do some sculpting / gel inserts, etc. to help with whatever issue you are struggling with. I have had the passenger portion modified on several of my bikes to fit my wife's lack of rear padding.
I have put over 50K miles on an HD air zepplin, that seat is the best I have found for being able to change pressure points by airing up different bladders, depending on what you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check out the Cycle Pedic seat by Rush Performance. I have their old style cycle pedic which does not have the exposed channel and love it. I never feel my tailbone and ride 700-800 mile days often.

I spoke with them earlier this week and they are an option I am considering. Thanks for reference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nordic, Look around your area for a custom seat builder. Locally (Pacific Northwest) I have Rich's seats, I think there are others in different areas. They will take your stock seat and do some sculpting / gel inserts, etc. to help with whatever issue you are struggling with. I have had the passenger portion modified on several of my bikes to fit my wife's lack of rear padding.

I have put over 50K miles on an HD air zepplin, that seat is the best I have found for being able to change pressure points by airing up different bladders, depending on what you need.

I spoke to several custom seat shops around the country and then referenced to a local guy this week. He had some great insight I had not considered. The best part is he is local and will tailor the seat with me on the seat on my bike. I tell him where it hurts and he adjust the foam. An option I am considering.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Last year, 09/10/2017, a car pulled out in front of me which I hit and went over the bars landing on my tailbone. By shear luck, I "slooowly" walked out of the hospital 8 hours later with no more than significant soft tissue damage to my tailbone area. 15 months later and the only time I am in pain is when I ride (2017 RGS). I can only ride for about 30 - 40 minutes without stopping due to pain, which last for several days after a ride.

I am looking for seat recommendations considering the circumstances. I have already tried the following: Stock Seat, Harley Tall Boy Seat, Harley Hammock Seat, Gel-infused Harley Low Profile Touring seat. The Hammock seat was the most comfortable and relieved most the pain...problem is the Hammock seat does not work with my 6'-4" frame (not far enough back). I have spoken with Mustang, Seat Concepts, and Corbin about my situation and all claim they have a seat that may work.

I have read countless forum threads and seat reviews and I know everyone has a seat opinion. What I am asking is, before I drop more money on another seat, does anyone have any thoughts on which seat may work considering my situation. A seat that may distribute my weight in a different way... or maybe an "out of the box" thought.

Unfortunately, I am at the point of considering another style of bike (ie. sport touring or adventure) that has a riding position removing weight from the tail bone. The last thing I want to do is go to a different bike, but after 15 months post accident, countless doctor visits, therapy, and trying different seats, it may be my only option to keep riding without pain.

Any and all thoughts/comments will be appreciated.
After 15 months I would say you did not walk out with only soft tissue damage, the tailbone has a very significant nerve bundle, I would get a better diagnosis of the continued problem before looking into seats that might help ride longer. Just my opinion and a long history in sports medicine.

·
Registered
656 Posts
get a air hawk cushion-my wife has never been able to sit more than 1.5 hrs-picked up a used airhawk-couple of months ago we rode santa fe nm to slc ut.what a difference for her

1 - 20 of 22 Posts