Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one tried powder coating there rotors? will it just burn off? if it burns off can you just change the pads and have a nice day? or will it screw up the rotors? :confused:

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Has any one tried powder coating there rotors? will it just burn off? if it burns off can you just change the pads and have a nice day? or will it screw up the rotors? :confused:
You can powder coat your rotors but leave the braking surface untouched. the powder will gum up the brake pads horribly. I have tried it and you will ruin the rotors and the pads if you powder the braking surface part of the rotors and possibly cause some malfunction in the braking.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I painted mine. Just the part that the pads don't touch. Been three years now and no problem. I used high heat paint.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I painted mine. Just the part that the pads don't touch. Been three years now and no problem. I used high heat paint.
That is what I suggest, it is cheaper and will last if you prep and paint it correctly. It is alot of taping off for a powder coater and time means money.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Would suspect even a few mils would cause a channel for the gremblins, polished with organic pads? Why subject them to the heat, have gold plated the edges and inner for the show rides, tidious...Ni strike and acid gold, you always take a chance of hydrogen embritlement (and would bake) , you might also warping some non-stock rotors with some powders heat soilds set.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
As GLYDDN11 stated.......the outer surface where your pads grab can not be touched....... They would have to be taped off during prep and during the shooting / curing process, BUT- the centers of the rotors can be coated )or painted as has been discussed).

Now you don't need to face book "PowderPro"--------you've had free advice from 2 powder coaters! :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I happen to like Rustolium rattle can stuff BG but what did you use? In addition, did you do anything "special" to help the paint stick to raw steel?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Joe (The Powder Pro) did the outer edge and inner section of the rotors on my SG. He does good work.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Joe (The Powder Pro) did the outer edge and inner section of the rotors on my SG. He does good work.

Doing the outer edge is a nice touch that not many do..........Before I started doing my own, I had work done.......one did the edge and the other did not....That little extra shows good work.........Shooting and curing powder is easy.........but properly prepping a part is key to a good powder coating job. Too many guys today just don't take that extra time to produce those little details......
(I meant no dis-respect in my earlier comment)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts