Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I'm planning to have more of my chrome parts powder coated Flat black to match my paint. I am going to get the console done, I've already done my engine guard and levers. I'm also thinking about doing the Primary cover, Rocker Box covers, Transmission Cover, Etc. Is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of potential problems that the thickness of the powder coat will add that I'm overlooking???

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had a bunch of parts powdercoated flat black on my last bike. The finish looked great but I could tell it's not as durable as a gloss finish. My buddy now has the bike and the powdercoat seems to have held up over the last three years!

Try to find a powdercoat guy who can show you samples of what the flat finish will look like. Then ask if there are durability issues from previous customers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I do have a local Powdercoater that does GREAT work. He has already done my levers and Engine Guard in flat black and they match great! I guess I'm mainly concerned with how it may affect the fit of parts. I had to sand down the part of my levers that go into the housing as my brake lever was not fully releasing and my brake light stayed on all the time. I'm wondering if it might cause any leaking issues with my engine parts.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have my consol PC'd and had no issues with it at all. With reguard to flat black PC. We use Cardinal paints primarily at work and the flatest that is recommended for outdoor use is 10% gloss. With Cardinal paints ( and i dont know what your guy is using) flat is inside (no UV) only.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't let them powdercoat the inside of your crash bar clamps for the highway peg mounts or you'll be sanding it off to make it fit properly. Tape it up yourself to be safe.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Your powder coater should e taping off ANY edge that makes gasket contact. They shoudl be protected during the blasting part of the process as well as the actual shooting powder.........I have a thread where I picture the process from start to finish when I did Deadstrokes motor cases. You should have no concerns about the powder thicknesson your console or motor case items.
As far as levers go, I've not had any issues........only items I have had to do any sanding is peg mounts if the peg mount and actual peg poins were both done......then a little sanding MAY be required.....

As far as the sugestion of taping it off yourself.............please don't..........if you want a particular surface maintained- just communbicate that to your coater......there are certain tapes used to protect for sandblasting and DIFFERENT heat temp tapes required to protect while shooting and curing teh powder..........If your local guy is "good"..........just have point blank conversation up front............

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Jetman hit most of it, but I will add that if there is any overspray on the gasket surfaces be sure to sand it off. Just be careful not to sand the finish surface.

Your powdercoater should have silicone plugs to use to keep the powder out of holes it doesn't belong in like threaded areas.

Screw heads tend to be a difficult spot to powder. Allen & Torx heads can easily be over sprayed and it makes using your appropriate size wrench difficult without damaging the finish. I think screw heads are better off painted than powder coated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do the parts HAVE to be sandblasted first? I had my old levers blasted before he powdercoated them, but then he just hand sanded the crash bar before he did it. He said that the sandblasting can cause the flat black to have too much texture and it may not match the paint as well...??? What do you think?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I sand blast ALL my parts first! I guess you could hand sand a crashbar, but I'm not buying it'll not make it match.....unless he's useing the wrong media the blasting is just 'scruffing' the top surface of the chrome for adhesion anyhow.....but it makes it a LOT more uniform

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sand blast ALL my parts first! I guess you could hand sand a crashbar, but I'm not buying it'll not make it match.....unless he's useing the wrong media the blasting is just 'scruffing' the top surface of the chrome for adhesion anyhow.....but it makes it a LOT more uniform
Check your PM when you get a chance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts