Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to powdercoat the whole engine block? When I bought my first Harley, it was just an impulse buy. I knew I wanted a RG and I knew I loved the look of the one I bought. Now since owning it, I realized I'm not much of a chrome guy, and the matte grey of the engine block is starting to flake off in areas.

So I started to think, is it possible to powdercoat the engine or would it just be a waste of money?

I know I wouldn't have to powdercoat everything, since I do plan on upgrading my 96", so I know I wouldn't have to powdercoat the fin part of the engine (don't know what it's called, I'm not mechanically inclined, forgive me).

This is the look I'm going for:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm not sure if there's a powdercoat out there that can withstand the constant heat of an engine. If there is, that would be the way to go, but of course, you'd have to completely disassemble the engine, down to the empty cases to have it done. There would be alot of cleaning afterwards due to the media used to clean off the old finish. That stuff would be in every orafice. All bearing, threads, & gasket surfaces would need to be blocked off so theres no powdercoat buildup in those areas, etc etc.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
The engine cases are metal so I do not see a reason why you cannot powder coat them. Heat should not be an issue. It would be a lot of work to accomplish this however unless you are already tearing the motor down completely. Keep in mind you would probably want to do the transmission case at the same time which adds to the amount of work.

My biggest concern would be blasting the cases to bare metal. You need to be careful not to affect bearing races ect.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It isn't just the heat that I was speaking of, but the constant, repeated heat that the engine sees, as well as exposure to fluids, leaks, etc. I also wonder if powdercoating would hold heat in the engie more so than paint? I myself am curious if powdercoat would hold up long term on an engine. I guess the right person to ask would be a powdercoater.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
546 Posts
Your best bet may be to leave the engine assembled, remove from bike mask it off and spray wrinkle black. A lot of work.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Your best bet may be to leave the engine assembled, remove from bike mask it off and spray wrinkle black. A lot of work.
Agreed.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
157 Posts
The cases, barrels and heads can all be safely powder coated. The finish will easily withstand the heat. Powder coating is cured at over 400 degrees. The problem is the must be completely disassembled. All of the exterior parts have to be masked and prepped. If you want to do that welded crank, 124 rebuild it needs to happen with the color change.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
In 1990 I had my engine & trans powered coated. Before you assemble your engine a extensive cleaning needs to happen. I used a thread restoring kit which just cleaned the threads out. Don't use a tap. A gun cleaning kit will help.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Good to know that the pc will hold up. Too bad it's so much work to do it though.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your responses, guess it will not be worth the time and cost. Maybe a whole new engine would come up in a few years.

Extremely disappointed as I don't want to have this flaky matte chrome anymore.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Friend with older Ultra upgrade engine to 96 and powder coat all black engine still holding and looks good.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

I did this to my 94 Heritage when the paint started flaking. I used black wrinkle paint from Eastwood. It worked great and still looks good after about 30k on the clock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Friend with older Ultra upgrade engine to 96 and powder coat all black engine still holding and looks good.
Do you know how much it cost?

I did this to my 94 Heritage when the paint started flaking. I used black wrinkle paint from Eastwood. It worked great and still looks good after about 30k on the clock.

Did you do the whole engine or just areas?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Do you know how much it cost?

Did you do the whole engine or just areas?

Don't know how he much paid

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Beautiful blue powder coating from Ultra Coat, Utica, NY, of wheels, cyls, heads, cam cover, primary cover, etc, etc, can be witnessed on our Facebook page, posted a week or so ago.
2015 RG, 124"/Wood9F/Our Stage IV Heads. :)
Scott

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Thanks, what kind of prep work did you do and did you do the whole engine?
I degreased everything with GUNK engine degreaser. Taped off what I didn't want black. I did the whole engine and after it dried I went back with a die grinder and 3M polishing pad to clean off the cylinder head fin edges. I did it about 6-7 years ago and it's held up pretty well. Also did it with engine in the frame but did remove the exhaust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's a couple sets of cylinders and heads I powder coated when I use to have the equipment. Heat is not an issue with powder at all. Prep work is very important. You will want all holes plugged, all gasket surfaces taped off (combustion chambers as well), all bearings removed.. If the parts are coated you will need to have them stripped.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
A few years back, a few fins got broken off on my heads. I got them repaired and once sanded couldn't tell they had been wielded back on. I cleaned everything and masked off and then sprayed with hi-heat flat black paint for bar-b-que pits and such. That was 6 or seven years ago and has held up to many, many high pressure car washes etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts