Road Glide banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some spare '15 forks that I am going to powdercoat black for my FLTRXS.

Question....the forks are stock HD FLTRSX forks, and like the ones already on my bike, have some "rough" areas around the caliper mounting tabs. Do these need to be sanded/polished smooth like the rest of the fork lower before powdercoat? How did others do this?

Lastly, should I powdercoat the hardware too (bolt heads), or just buy new ones that are already black?

Here's a quick pic to show what I'm talking about. The rough area between the reflector and mounting tabs.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Jetman is the expert and can answer all your questions. When we did my buds forks we took a dremel and sanded down seam and rough spots, powder coater by me does minimal prep. So if you want it nice and smooth you'd have to prep it or maybe some shops will do it for additional cost.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
If you just sandblast and powder- it's going to show thru (especially in High Gloss Black- Flat isn't so bad). I use a die grinder w/ a sanding disc followed by a 'scrubbie' disc & then sand with a palm sander before hiting the blasting cabinet. I typically only do the front and edges of teh fender tabs & back edge of the Caliper mounts. Back of the actual leg I leave as ist as it's not seen & would require just way too much work to smoth an area never seen.....

Below is the best pic I can find that hasn't been posted before. If you look in my profile & search for a thread where I posted some satin forks I did for Louser, it shows the casting mark removal as well......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
As far as hardware.....that's your choice. If you buy black, they are not going to match exactly (just depends on how anal you are about the details).....Coated will match......some guys apply it too thick & then it either won't fit or you can't get your proper size tools on it........

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! About how much time is spend per leg in sanding and polishing?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Thanks for the info! About how much time is spend per leg in sanding and polishing?
I spend 20-30 minutes sanding each leg with the die grinder & palm sander....then another 30-45 minutes each in the blasting cabinet (I don't polish them since they are going to get powdered......last set I polished I had several hours each).
Each leg gets taped off before going to media blasting (the inside and where axle goes remain untouched by meadia or powder). Once blasted, tape is removed- then legs are baked for an hour & 1/2 to 2 hours as part of the "Gas out" process. Once cooled, each leg is taped off with heat tape & then coated, then cured.

To do them properly it's not a quick process.....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PM coming to ya!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Jetman is well worth the time/shipping/$$ to do your parts. I am nearing the end of my current winter mods and he played a big part in how the bike will look! I am very pleased and recommend him highly. (The preceding was a paid advertisement.... Yea, I paid!.... No bikers were hurt during this build... I did jam a finger, burn two others and pinch the hell out of another... But it didn't hurt :-/ )

Here a pic of my fork lowers he did...

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the input! I PM'd him and decided to go with my original plan. I sanded them down smooth myself and am bringing them to my local power coater this week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.