Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PCIII is not communicating with my laptop when I connect it via the USB port. The serial number shows up on my computer, but it won't download a new map. Has anyone had this problem?

I may need to manually tune the PCIII using the instruction manual. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

2006 RG, Rinehart Duals, SE air filter.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Dont you have to power up the PCIII, when uploading maps etc from a laptop?
i think you need a 9volt power adapter, not when on the bike, but when loading maps from a computer.
I have the PCV and I thought this was one of the differences in the 2.
The PCV draws power from the computer using the USB, but the PCIII does not.

·
EFI tuning and Exhaust Expert
815 Posts
My PCIII is not communicating with my laptop when I connect it via the USB port. The serial number shows up on my computer, but it won't download a new map. Has anyone had this problem?

I may need to manually tune the PCIII using the instruction manual. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

2006 RG, Rinehart Duals, SE air filter.
The unit needs to be powered up. If the PC is installed on your bike you will either need to start the bike or use the 9V adapter with a fresh battery. If the unit is powered and will not load the map you need to update the software as the unit has newer firmware than your software level.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify:

1)the laptop IS plugged into the bike and the bike is in IGNITION and RUN.

2)The program is up and running, and the laptop "sees" the PC (it displays the serial number), but it is not "communicating" with the laptop. I'm just trying to load a new map.

I believe I have the most recent software because I just downloaded it from the Dynojet website.

Could it be a bad USB cable or port?

I guess I'll have to manually tune it. Anyone have any tips/tricks?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
From their website:
I am trying to communicate with my PCIIIusb using the supplied 9 volt adapter, but the computer does not see it. What should I check?
A low battery will keep the PCIIIusb from communicating. The PCIIIusb can quickly drain (about 20 minutes of use) a new battery, so make sure to not leave it plugged in longer than necessary. Also, make sure the cable is pushed all the way into the PCIIIusb’s port. Sometimes the connector needs a fair amount of pressure to fully seat it.
Applicable to PC III USB
The Power Commander software says "Serial: N/A" at the top right hand corner of the screen and does not show any serial numbers or "TP" readings.
Answer: The Power Commander USB needs to be powered up by either the bike or a brand new 9 volt battery via the battery adapter. If the unit is not powered up, the computer will only see a USB device being plugged in, but will not allow the software to communicate. If a battery has been plugged in for around 5 minutes, it may be too low on power to allow good communication.
Applicable to PC III USB
The message "Power Commander not found" comes up on my interface. What does that mean?
The software is not communicating with the Power commander,. Make sure that the ignition switch is on, the kill switch is in position, and the USB cable is firmly connected to both the Power commander and the computer. Make sure that the unit is staying powered up (green light will be lit on the face of the unit) and the your cable is connected. The USB cable needs to "snap" into place. Applying ample pressure is sometimes required.

·
EFI tuning and Exhaust Expert
815 Posts
Depending on the build date of your Power Commander as noted earlier you need to make sure the unit is powered up. Earlier units require you to either start the bike or power it with the 9V adapter, newer units stay powered up with the ignition switch.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the quick replies.

I'll try and get the PCIII communicating by starting up the bike after I change the oil and get it running. I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts