Road Glide banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've got a 2001 RG with Hooker Super Tuned slip on's. I put a Power Commander III at the same time of the slip ons...that was all done several years ago and the bike has always run well. Last week, I was riding...everything was fine and the bike shut off without any warning at all. I got it home, and there was no spark at all. Checked the connections with the Power Commander and it was tight. Bought a new coil and that wasn't it. Bought a crank position sensor and that wasn't it. Just before I was going to replace the stator, I decided to pull off the Power Commander and revert to the stock connection. Checked and got spark so I'm assuming the Power Commander was bad. Put the tank back on and as somewhat expected, the bike fired up but ran horribly...worse than what I was expecting though. I thought by removing the Power Commander, that would reset the computer back to stock settings so this morning, I put the stock exhaust on just to see how it would run. It's still backfiring, and running extremely rough. Won't even idle.

I'm at a loss what to do next? Would a Power Commander V help me? Thanks for any help provided.

· Registered
302 Posts
Did you check the map in the Power Commander? They aren't supposed to be able to loose their programming but......

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Did you check the map in the Power Commander? They aren't supposed to be able to loose their programming but......"

No I didn't...I figured I would at least get a spark even if the map was wrong. Is that incorrect?

· Registered
74 Posts
the power comander is just a piggy back system i have had mine on and off a couple times, it just tricks the computer i dont know why they would wipe the ecm to install it...is your engine light on? even if the o2 sensors were bad the computer would resort back to a factory setting to run at set perameters. the power comanders do go bad and if you search the net i have read that a couple ecms were fried and hd blamed the power commander. i would think its some fuel delivery or fuel control input which the ecm is one of the controls, throttle body. wiring from ecm...
maybe a trip to the dealer for a computer scan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.