Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here so I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right spot but here it goes. Just picked up my 15 rgs a couple months ago and was working on putting on a set of power duals to go with the street cannons already on it. I cannot for the life of me get the new headers on. I can’t find a post or anyone else with the problem. Just can’t seem to get either port close. Am I missing something? 3 of us are now stumped on it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Try This... Worked for Mine

Newbie here so I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right spot but here it goes. Just picked up my 15 rgs a couple months ago and was working on putting on a set of power duals to go with the street cannons already on it. I cannot for the life of me get the new headers on. I can’t find a post or anyone else with the problem. Just can’t seem to get either port close. Am I missing something? 3 of us are now stumped on it.
It's a pain in the ass.

Try this, it worked for me when I had them:

1. line up the front port, but don't seat and don't use the flanges yet (don't line them up to the bolt holes), but make sure they are near the top of the header. If they slip down, you'll be doing this all over again and cussing your head off...
2. lower the rear header slightly below the rear fins and just slightly outside
3. get the front port nearly seated and then raise the rear header portion almost into place
4. pull the rear header portion slightly to the rear, its tight, then push up
5. seat both front and rear and line up the flanges to the bolt holes and tighten and torque to spec.

The center exhaust brace will need to be removed for easy maneuvering... Then put back on once the exhaust is in place.

Hope that helps and happy wrenching! Pics when your done!

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's a pain in the ass.

Try this, it worked for me when I had them:

1. line up the front port, but don't seat and don't use the flanges yet (don't line them up to the bolt holes), but make sure they are near the top of the header. If they slip down, you'll be doing this all over again and cussing your head off...
2. lower the rear header slightly below the rear fins and just slightly outside
3. get the front port nearly seated and then raise the rear header portion almost into place
4. pull the rear header portion slightly to the rear, its tight, then push up
5. seat both front and rear and line up the flanges to the bolt holes and tighten and torque to spec.

The center exhaust brace will need to be removed for easy maneuvering... Then put back on once the exhaust is in place.

Hope that helps and happy wrenching! Pics when your done!
13 RGU with V&H Power Duals
I used these and followed them to the letter. I have a year and about 5k on them with zero problems. I was in the garage most of a Saturday
http://vanceandhines.com/download/D897IN_RevD.pdf
Send pics when finished

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I got it on thank you the awesome description you gave but now am a little off on the mounting bracket by the trans cover. Ideas or tips?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Try loosening the bracket and aligning, then retighten the bracket. Would have to see a picture of how far its off to provide a better recommendation.

Glad you got the headers on... at least that part is done! The rest of it is down hill...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got them on just need a new bolt for the floorboard and then it’s done! Sounds mean lol. I’ll up load a picture tomorrow it’s a tad bit scratched up but hey it add character ?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Congratulations on the new pipes!

One thing you'll need to watch for is dragging the X-Pipe in a tight right turn. I've had the Power Duals on my 2012 RGU since the 22 mile marker. I have 78k on them now and still love them. I also went with the Black. I have polishing chrome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
so I got it on thank you the awesome description you gave but now am a little off on the mounting bracket by the trans cover. Ideas or tips?
I just put a set of power duals on my 16' RGS & had the same problem. I loosened up the bracket & got the header pipes on & lightly tightened the nuts then everything fit fine.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
but now am a little off on the mounting bracket by the trans cover. Ideas or tips?
I had to elongate that hole a little...then used a jack to put a little upward pressure till I could get the bolt in and tightened down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts