Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently upgraded to the power vision and have the stock O2 sensors installed. FM put a preconfigured map in it for me, and it is really close, but still needs a bit of an adjustment.

Has anyone here ran the autotune basic on the power vision, how did you think it worked, any issues or tips, and could you tell a difference?

I do plan on getting it dyno'd, but not for a few weeks and if the autotune fixes the issues, maybe I don't need the tune. Plus I can log the data and send to FM for maybe some help too?

Thanks for any input.:grin:

·
Registered
973 Posts
What's it doing that makes you think it needs more adjustment? When I changed pipes, mufflers, & a/c, I also bought the PV from Fuel Moto with a map installed for my setup. Even though the bike runs so much better, I feel that it's still running kind've hot. I've thought about running some auto tune sessions too, but the way this spring is starting out between work & yard work, I've only had time to ride about 3 times, and one of those was to work & back. That & I'm a bit confused on how to do the auto tune. Do you ride a combo of highway & in town, or does it matter?

Lil Chief

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yes, you absolutely want to do autotune runs. Fuel Moto makes great maps, but they're not done on your bike with your combination. Read the manual for detailed instructions, and just remember that you want to fill in all the cells.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, first issue is the idle. Idles very rough. Then the lower rpm's from 2000-3000 it runs rough, misses or something every once in a while, seems now it's very cold blooded or something which it never did before. There is some popping on deceleration, and seems like maybe a few flat spots. Also seems like it's running rich at idle, I can really smell gas.

Anyway, the top end runs good, once it gets over 3000rpm it is smooth and pulls hard, so that all seems good.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sorry Brianu1, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. This is the first FI bike I've ever owned so I'm still learning. Now carbs, different story.
05 Train, thanks for the input. As soon as I get time I'm going to run some AT sessions.

Thanks
Lil Chief

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brian
I had a very similar experience with my 2016 Road Glide Ultra. I tried several Autotune sessions with PV with no improvement...actually got worse, PV keep taking fuel out and the engine was starting to run hot. Then I did a data log on the PV and downloaded the log to my computer and noticed that my rear O2 sensors was bughouse, reading anywhere from 0.0 -.9 V while my front O2 sensor was rock solid at .8 - .85 V. Then I started to listen to the engine I convinced myself that I heard a exhaust leak. I can really hear the leak when the engine is under heavy load, riding two up.The bike is going to the shop this Friday. I will let you know what they find. Run a PV data log and compare at O2 sensor output to eliminate an exhaust leak as a potential issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have an 2013 ultra and just switched to a power vision also. I have the same issue as the op. Two auto tune sessions and it running better but still hiccups in the 2k to 3 k range at times under low load. Just when in a cruising mode like riding in traffic in town. Sent an email to Fuelmoto this morning for advise. If I get an update I'll post it and check back to see if others have.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
973 Posts
I ran a couple of sessions on Saturday and I noticed an improvement after the first run. The second run I rode for about 25-30 minutes with a combo of in town, uphill, downhill, and highway, also with some hills. I managed to fill in almost all of the cells except for a few in the lower rpm range. No matter what I did, I couldn't get those to fill in. I loaded the 2nd auto tune run but haven't had time to ride it again. I'm hoping to get out this weekend for a bit.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
610 Posts
I ran a couple of sessions on Saturday and I noticed an improvement after the first run. The second run I rode for about 25-30 minutes with a combo of in town, uphill, downhill, and highway, also with some hills. I managed to fill in almost all of the cells except for a few in the lower rpm range. No matter what I did, I couldn't get those to fill in. I loaded the 2nd auto tune run but haven't had time to ride it again. I'm hoping to get out this weekend for a bit.
Lil Chief
When I first started using auto tune I did a few short runs to get her somewhat close then did a nice ride fillin in all boxes to 99 plus hits / all red. The only ones I did not fill completely were the few lower boxes like 2k at full throttle. Anyway the bike is now perfect and i no longer have all the little idle and low end quirks.

·
Registered
973 Posts
When I first started using auto tune I did a few short runs to get her somewhat close then did a nice ride fillin in all boxes to 99 plus hits / all red. The only ones I did not fill completely were the few lower boxes like 2k at full throttle. Anyway the bike is now perfect and i no longer have all the little idle and low end quirks.
I was able to get out the other day for a little bit. I probably need to do at least one more auto tune session. I noticed some very, very slight pinging while rolling on the throttle in 4th gear. It's probably lugging just a bit (which I didn't mean to do), but it wasn't there before the auto tune sessions.
Lil' Chief

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was able to get out the other day for a little bit. I probably need to do at least one more auto tune session. I noticed some very, very slight pinging while rolling on the throttle in 4th gear. It's probably lugging just a bit (which I didn't mean to do), but it wasn't there before the auto tune sessions.
Lil' Chief
If you notice pinging, try to isolate it, then add a little more fuel in those cells. You can also try removing a little bit of timing from the same area.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You don't need to guess with timing; the PV lets you record knock events and do timing runs just like VE runs. You need to turn off the VE adjustments and turn on the timing adjustments. Been a while since I did it, call FM for the exact directions as I don't want to steer you wrong. But don't just add fuel. That's masking the problem, not solving it.

The upper right side of the VE map is relatively easy to get. You need to upshift early and drag the rear brake. The bike will sound horrible while you try to accelerate from 1,200 RPM, but you won't hurt anything doing it a couple of times.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You don't need to guess with timing; the PV lets you record knock events and do timing runs just like VE runs. You need to turn off the VE adjustments and turn on the timing adjustments. Been a while since I did it, call FM for the exact directions as I don't want to steer you wrong. But don't just add fuel. That's masking the problem, not solving it.
I understand you don't need to guess. Adding fuel is not masking anything. Sometimes an engine will get pre detonation due to a lean condition rather than excessive timing. Pulling timing at that point will remove the pre detonation, but may not be the best for power.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I understand you don't need to guess. Adding fuel is not masking anything. Sometimes an engine will get pre detonation due to a lean condition rather than excessive timing. Pulling timing at that point will remove the pre detonation, but may not be the best for power.
If you've already done your VEs (and you always do VEs first), then it's not a lean condition; it's too much timing. So if your VEs are set and you add more fuel, you're not solving the problem, you're masking it.

Maximum timing prior to detonation does not equal maximum power.

Edited to add - It should go without saying that if you tuned during the fall/winter/spring and experienced no detonation and you're getting some now that it's warming up, you shouldn't touch the main spark tables....You deal with that with the Spark Temperature Tables.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you've already done your VEs (and you always do VEs first), then it's not a lean condition; it's too much timing. So if your VEs are set and you add more fuel, you're not solving the problem, you're masking it.

Maximum timing prior to detonation does not equal maximum power.

Edited to add - It should go without saying that if you tuned during the fall/winter/spring and experienced no detonation and you're getting some now that it's warming up, you shouldn't touch the main spark tables....You deal with that with the Spark Temperature Tables.
I completely understand how to tune an engine management system. With that said, you should not be tuning VE's in closed loop anyways. You should be in speed density will all PE and other adders turned off. However, since the OP is using auto tune to calibrate the closed loop portion of his map, I was just trying to give a quick and easy way to remove detonation.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I completely understand how to tune an engine management system. With that said, you should not be tuning VE's in closed loop anyways. You should be in speed density will all PE and other adders turned off. However, since the OP is using auto tune to calibrate the closed loop portion of his map, I was just trying to give a quick and easy way to remove detonation.
Lol whut?

The only way you can tune with a PV and without a dyno is in closed loop....That's how it works. "Speed/Density" is they type of fuel injection/air metering we have.....So if the bike's running, it's "in" speed/density.

Adding fuel to mask detonation ain't tuning.

·
Registered
154 Posts
PV tuning

The biggest thing to remember if you are running AT on your PV is that it doesn't magically get it all done in one or two short rides, unless you are so close to the tune you need that you don't even need to run AT. Keep running it as long as you are noticing any hiccups that are not major issues, it will get it done. Patience grasshopper.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The biggest thing to remember if you are running AT on your PV is that it doesn't magically get it all done in one or two short rides, unless you are so close to the tune you need that you don't even need to run AT. Keep running it as long as you are noticing any hiccups that are not major issues, it will get it done. Patience grasshopper.
Unfortunately I haven't had time to ride at all. I was hoping to get out this weekend, but that ain't happening. I hope to get the PV hooked back up today at least & maybe get out for some auto tune sessions after work this week. I'll say that after only 2 sessions, the bike is running much better and cooler.
Lil Chief

1 - 19 of 19 Posts