Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was wondering whats the difference on these EFI Tuning Devices I have 2019 road glide M8 Motor.

1. whats better of the two ?

2. do they both take the speed limiter off ?

Thanks for the help.

2019 road glide 114" M8

·
Registered
218 Posts
Basically -

PowerVision is a complete tuner and over writes the ECM (reprograms it)

Power Commander is a piggyback device the adds/Subtracts fuel, timing, etc based on what was already in the ECU

The PowerVision has tons more functionality/capability.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I had three Harleys I have done many upgrades.... I never had any warranty problems when bringing my bike in for service or warranty work.
Neither have I with any of my Twin Cam bikes but with the M8 engines the MoCo's hands are tied by the EPA and adding an aftermarket tuner is supposed to void your warranty. With that said their may be some dealers that can work around things and keep the warranty in tact but they do so at their own risk.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Plenty to read on there about warranty and the M8. Best advice I can give you and this is from my reading on this site as well as experience with the dealers I have within 10 miles of me.
Educate yourself on the warranty. READ EVERYTHING on here and the HD Forums. Talk to the dealer and see what they say! It is really up to them to void your warranty or take the risk on paying fines. There are plenty of people who have gone aftermarket and not had any issues and then there are others who have had situations that are exact opposite. I have a post somewhere mentioning that one of the dealers near me doesn't care about aftermarket as long as they do the work and the other will void your warranty the minute you mention aftermarket. bottom line is do your research before you decide.

Another thing to remember is that the ESP covers aftermarket....both the one that Harley and Boardtracker sell will cover your parts up to what the stock part cost is. Usually this is more than what the aftermarket part costs so you make out with those plans.

sorry for the rant....just wanted to make sure you got some good info.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Plenty to read on there about warranty and the M8. Best advice I can give you and this is from my reading on this site as well as experience with the dealers I have within 10 miles of me.
Educate yourself on the warranty. READ EVERYTHING on here and the HD Forums. Talk to the dealer and see what they say! It is really up to them to void your warranty or take the risk on paying fines. There are plenty of people who have gone aftermarket and not had any issues and then there are others who have had situations that are exact opposite. I have a post somewhere mentioning that one of the dealers near me doesn't care about aftermarket as long as they do the work and the other will void your warranty the minute you mention aftermarket. bottom line is do your research before you decide.

Another thing to remember is that the ESP covers aftermarket....both the one that Harley and Boardtracker sell will cover your parts up to what the stock part cost is. Usually this is more than what the aftermarket part costs so you make out with those plans.

sorry for the rant....just wanted to make sure you got some good info.
Long version of what I said but just so you understand, the MoCo IS handcuffed by the EPA (for now) and they are being fined $15k per bike for every bike that they are caught doing warranty work on that has been taken out of EPA compliance. But like I stated earlier and you elaborated on it is up to the individual dealership as to what they will actually do. So yes it is a great idea to talk to your dealership. Don't want to keep highjacking this thread so I'll discuss this further in another thread if anyone wants to start one on warranty experiences.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That’s why I’m getting the Harley tuner even though really want FP3
Don't expect too much out of the Harley tuner. The mappings will be "chocked down" to me EPA standards. IMO if you're worried about your warranty, then just wait the 2 years and do it right. As for me I did a non-Harley Stage 1 within 2 days of buying my 18 RGS. If I did have a warranty related issue, my dealer wouldn't think twice about not finding a way of covering it. I've bought 11 bikes from him in 10 years, not to mention of $40K in parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Think about your plans for your bike What will you do to it down the road for 99% of people pc5 is plenty for them. Most importantly find yourself a tuner ask them what they prefer to use If they’re more comfortable with one rather than the other you will receive a better tune with what they use more often

·
Registered
283 Posts
Think about your plans for your bike What will you do to it down the road for 99% of people pc5 is plenty for them. Most importantly find yourself a tuner ask them what they prefer to use If they’re more comfortable with one rather than the other you will receive a better tune with what they use more often
Strongly disagree here. If this was a pre Rushmore then yes PC5 would be the way to go. But now with a data port Harley has made it incredibly easy to flash your ecm. The PV is even made by Dynojet. And the FP3 ease of use is amazing. Only downside I can see is the warranty issue which is why Harley wants you to buy their flash tuner. While a dyno is the ultimate in tuning an em flash will do just fine for the rest of us.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Don't expect too much out of the Harley tuner. The mappings will be "chocked down" to me EPA standards. IMO if you're worried about your warranty, then just wait the 2 years and do it right. As for me I did a non-Harley Stage 1 within 2 days of buying my 18 RGS. If I did have a warranty related issue, my dealer wouldn't think twice about not finding a way of covering it. I've bought 11 bikes from him in 10 years, not to mention of $40K in parts.
While what you say about the Harley tuner is probably true not all of us are willing to take that chance on the warranty issue especially with the sumping/oil transfer issue although that has been addressed in the ‘19’s allegedly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Strongly disagree here. If this was a pre Rushmore then yes PC5 would be the way to go. But now with a data port Harley has made it incredibly easy to flash your ecm. The PV is even made by Dynojet. And the FP3 ease of use is amazing. Only downside I can see is the warranty issue which is why Harley wants you to buy their flash tuner. While a dyno is the ultimate in tuning an em flash will do just fine for the rest of us.
If you have a basic setup sure pv is probably most peoples best bet. Flash away. Just realize your tune will never be 100%. You can still tune pv on dyno absolutely it’s a pain in the ass thought shut bike off flash wait repeat. I’m well aware pv is made by Dynojet. I’ve got 1st gen turbo Busa pc5 with auto tune My 08 Glide is waiting for a Trask kit also pc5 auto tune. For me it’s the way to go my opinion. You know what they say about opinions

·
Registered
247 Posts
Since the Power Commander V is a piggy back unit how does a dealer know it was installed? Assuming you remove it before taking your bike to the dealer.
Bill

·
Registered
183 Posts
I asked my dealer the other day, if they would tune with a PV and he said they have their own PV and would do it no questions asked.

They've also always stood behind, "If we do the work, we will do everything in our power to honor your warranty."

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I asked my dealer the other day, if they would tune with a PV and he said they have their own PV and would do it no questions asked.

They've also always stood behind, "If we do the work, we will do everything in our power to honor your warranty."
If you’re going to pay $200 for a tune license though you might as well spend a little more and get the unit also. No?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You know you've been able to flash tune Harley's ever since they've been EFI. It just depends on the type of tuner you use. My 12 Street Glide was flashed tuned and the 2010 I still have is flash tuned. You can even use a FP3 on twin cam bikes. There are two versions of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For what you have now with no plans to crack into a stellar combo, go with the SEPST and flash the map that fits your combo.
This is my first M8 (107”), and it has stage 1 from the dealer and none of my 5 twin cammed TTS and Powervision dyno tunes can hold a candle to the smoothness of the SE tuned M8. Yes, two different apples to oranges motors.
Keep in mind, depending on your area, very few dyno operators know the PV and most will say the TTS is less “awkward”.
So if you stay Stage 1 in life, the SE will get you everything you need and be warranty friendly.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts