Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a nice new snazzy FF helmet now I'm looking to find a good way to secure it to the bike while I'm away.

Being a FF it wont fit in my Chopped TP....

What does everyone use?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've resorted to keeping the helmet on the floorboard, locked to the crash bar through the chin bar of the helmet, with a gun cable lock. Didn't want a helmet lock hanging from the bike anywhere.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: Mdwatson

·
Administrator
12,511 Posts
I have the $18.95 HD lock on my crash bar, but I don't use it much, if I park my bike somewhere I think somebody may mess with my helmet, I just take it with me.

Reactions: 1st Sgt

·
Registered
7,287 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just got rid of the 10 year old FF and picked up a new one also and i was thinking the same thing. So i have a cable lock and i guess that is going to lock it and the leather jacket , only carry it on long hauls but it does work .

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
I've resorted to keeping the helmet on the floorboard, locked to the crash bar through the chin bar of the helmet, with a gun cable lock. Didn't want a helmet lock hanging from the bike anywhere.

Great idea FlyByWire!
Thanks for sharing.
I just purchased a FF after many years of riding with a half helmet.
Will definitely keep a gun cable lock in the saddlebags now.
Mike U.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought a Helmet Guardian Lock like this one. You can get them at most BMW stores or online. I had to modify it a bit to fit between the removable hardware on the TourPak, but it works great.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use a vinyl coated bicycle cable lock wrapped around one leg of the tour pak mount. Plenty long enough for a couple of helmets, full face too. Coils up nice and small. If I have to worry about someone cutting it then I'm looking for a better place to park.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Use my gun cable locks also. They can second as a warning that maybe the owner is armed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When i do feel a need to lock it up I use handcuffs: one attaches to the d-ring in the helmet, the other to the passenger grab strap... Helmet sits nicely on the seat.

Cheers,

JED

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thank for the comments. I ended up with one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SMPEL4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Waiting on it to arrive. Its about 5 bucks more than a gun luck but I like that it was smaller, self contained and a combination (no key for me to lose).

I'll post how it does when it arrives.

D.
Good point about the combination vs key. I've been using a gun lock for years, but never really thought about how screwed I'd be if I lost the key.
Also, I've used other locks from Kryptonite and they seem to be pretty good quality.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just keep the keys on the fob key ring.

I like that retractable combo one linked though, may be able to do both helmets..?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just put mine on my seat. I guess it never occurred to me that someone would even want to steal someone's helmet!

I don't know if it's because of the low crime rate up here or no helmet laws, so many don't even bother wearing helmets anyway.

Or maybe it's the lax gun laws so punks know messing with a guys bike (or his helmet) is a sure fire way to get shot!!

Either way, I'm glad I live in New Hampshire!

Reactions: RGKen
1 - 20 of 47 Posts