Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
My wife and I use one of these to lock the helmets to the luggage rack on the tour pak. They could be used at other locations or add a short cable.

http://www.amazon.com/HELMETLOK-RUBBERIZED-UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-CLOTHING/dp/B007P53BM2
I do not understand how this works.
Can't anyone with a knife just cut off the D rings in about 2 seconds?
Maybe I am missing something.

I am looking around for a good way to lock a helmet to a bike and the cable seems to be the most logical.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've not used since I bought it over a year ago but I have one of those lockable carabiner that HD sells. I actually like it and when I'm ready to use I'm confident it will do the job.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have a little steel bracket. just drop it over the edge of the open saddle bag, hang the d-ring onto the open end, and close the saddle bag. The lid overlaps the open end and its locked into place. Has some rubber pads glued to it for protecting the paint.

Its quick to use and I just toss it into the glovebox when its not needed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I bought 2 of these. They are cables with round balls on the end. The red ball has a quick release and u slide it through d ring and put it back on. Then u place the ball in the saddle bag and lock it. Pretty good. It's long enough to lock the cable in the bag and sit the helmet ontop if it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've resorted to keeping the helmet on the floorboard, locked to the crash bar through the chin bar of the helmet, with a gun cable lock. Didn't want a helmet lock hanging from the bike anywhere.

I do the same as FlyByWire and use a gun cable lock. Keep the lock in the bag and pull it out when needed. Didn't want to hang a helmet lock on bike don't like the look.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I bought a Helmet Guardian Lock like this one. You can get them at most BMW stores or online. I had to modify it a bit to fit between the removable hardware on the TourPak, but it works great.
Any chance you could post a pic of the actual product you bought and how you modified it ? As well as pics on the bike please ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just put mine on the passenger set and let the long strap rest in the right side saddle bag and lock then saddle bag.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
My lock is the trust in people to leave it alone! Unless I'm really concerned (most places no) I just leave it on the seat. If really concerned and there's no room in the Tourpak I use a helmet lock

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I have a little steel bracket. just drop it over the edge of the open saddle bag, hang the d-ring onto the open end, and close the saddle bag. The lid overlaps the open end and its locked into place. Has some rubber pads glued to it for protecting the paint.

Its quick to use and I just toss it into the glovebox when its not needed.
Pretty ingenious, I like it. Did you make it or you found it and modified it ?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I do not understand how this works.
Can't anyone with a knife just cut off the D rings in about 2 seconds?
Maybe I am missing something.

I am looking around for a good way to lock a helmet to a bike and the cable seems to be the most logical.
I've been trying to come up with a looking system similar to what honda has on their older goldwing but haven't really dedicated a lot of time and located the right lock to do so.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I bought it somewhere, years ago. Probably at a rally,
Could it be replicated and is it for pre Rushmore bikes I'm assuming or will it fit current bikes as well ? I ask because I went and tried to use my old HD tourpak flag holder which clips onto tourpak and I think saddlebag and it didn't fit. I like the idea if this and the simplicity as well.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Could it be replicated and is it for pre Rushmore bikes I'm assuming or will it fit current bikes as well ? I ask because I went and tried to use my old HD tourpak flag holder which clips onto tourpak and I think saddlebag and it didn't fit. I like the idea if this and the simplicity as well.
Sure, anyone with the correct bender could make them. Basically its bending a piece of 12 inch strap in two tight u bends. I'm thinking the metal starts out soft and is hardened after its bent.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Gotcha, for the price I think I'll just buy it. We spend so much more money on other crap what's $20. This thing doesn't do any damage to the bag at all or did you have to up the amount of cushion on there ?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts