Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, it's time for me to get prepared for Shark Week,
I have a concern about all of these Road Glides that will be showing up, pristine and shiny like they just road off the showroom floor! Then there will be mine showing up like I just drove out of the ocean!!! Nobody is gonna want to park next to me, and those that do, will doing so on the premises that my rust bucket will make there's even prettier.
Most of the guys here know I try very hard to keep the bike from looking like a piece of shit. And the battle is on going...
So instead of waiting till September to do my annual clean up and refurbish on the bike, I started today. For the most part the bike looks pretty good, the por 15 has held up well, with little chips here in there. The jugs look like shit, all my black anodized parts that I'm so proud of are oxidizing, taking a deep breath, cause this alotain't gonna get done in a day or weekend for that matter.
There are a few parts where the POR 15 did not hold up well at all, but those parts are subject, to constant road debris,
I know this looks like a thread that I've already repeated twice, but I thought I would share this thread anyway. A lot of guys on the forum are just now starting to understand exactly what I have to deal with. So This Thread is about making my bike presentable, where I can hold my head high and show off my bike, the way it was intended to look. There are so many things that needs to be addressed, it's almost overwhelming. New crash guards on the front will be helping me out this time around, along with new mirrors. Today I took off a lot of parts, that will need a lot of attention. So Parts taken off, engine taped off, let the games begin.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The worst problem that I'm going to have to deal with the day, are the brake lines and underneath what I believe to be the bottom of the Triple Tree, where the brakes actually attached to. That is the worst part of the bike as of right now, but that is on the back burner oh, that will be one of the last things I do. There are so many things to do that I'm having to do things in stages just to keep me from going crazy.
These front brake lines are supposed to be goodrich's best brake lines stainless steel everything. And yet here we are. What is that part called that the brake actually attaches to? Try not to cringe when I post this picture because it will be addressed at some point!!
Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of the parts that you see on the floor, each and everyone needs to be addressed in their own way. And this is just for the left side!!!!
Shoe Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Here is the first coat of Rust-Oleum being applied to the jugs and case, right now everything's solid black.
Tire Wheel Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question
What do I need to make the wrinkles go away on the primary?
Do I resand and use a finer grit,, say like 220?

·
Super Moderator
5,545 Posts
Relax my man. From what I’m reading you’ll be your worst critic. Yes there will be some pristine looking rides. There will also be many that have crossed the Country through rain and dirt and will not bother washing their bike until they get home (or not). There will be a bike wash provided that some will use and others won’t. I can only remember one SW where there was a bike show involving members. As smitty stated the most important thing is to just be there. Nothing wrong with cleaning her up and making her look better but don’t stress on it.

Reactions: ChromeSpark

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Relax my man. From what I’m reading you’ll be your worst critic. Yes there will be some pristine looking rides. There will also be many that have crossed the Country through rain and dirt and will not bother washing their bike until they get home (or not). There will be a bike wash provided that some will use and others won’t. I can only remember one SW where there was a bike show involving members. As smitty stated the most important thing is to just be there. Nothing wrong with cleaning her up and making her look better but don’t stress on it.
Thanks brother for sharing that, all that's been on my mind, is my bike looking like shit, and showing up, and people telling I should take better care of my bike....
I know that's probably not true, but I am very proud of my bike, and I think it is thing of beauty, but how can it be a thing of beauty when it's covered in Rust and if you look hard enough you can find it.......my wife has spent a small fortune making the bike look the way it does. So I want her to be proud of it as well. So it is very important to me to get this bike ready!! A lot of my expensive black anodized parts are showing corrosion,
I am trying to address these issues, along with the rust.....
This forum has been good to me, I am sporting new to me saddlebags in perfect condition, new to me front fender in awesome condition, side covers in perfect condition
The good news is I started a month early....
So far new shoes, a very comfortable custom made seat, new brake pads, fluid change in all three holes, new radio,(hoping new speakers show up soon)
So now it's down to cosmetics......

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
OK guys, it's time for me to get prepared for Shark Week,
I have a concern about all of these Road Glides that will be showing up, pristine and shiny like they just road off the showroom floor! Then there will be mine showing up like I just drove out of the ocean!!! Nobody is gonna want to park next to me, and those that do, will doing so on the premises that my rust bucket will make there's even prettier.
Most of the guys here know I try very hard to keep the bike from looking like a piece of shit. And the battle is on going...
So instead of waiting till September to do my annual clean up and refurbish on the bike, I started today. For the most part the bike looks pretty good, the por 15 has held up well, with little chips here in there. The jugs look like shit, all my black anodized parts that I'm so proud of are oxidizing, taking a deep breath, cause this alotain't gonna get done in a day or weekend for that matter.
There are a few parts where the POR 15 did not hold up well at all, but those parts are subject, to constant road debris,
I know this looks like a thread that I've already repeated twice, but I thought I would share this thread anyway. A lot of guys on the forum are just now starting to understand exactly what I have to deal with. So This Thread is about making my bike presentable, where I can hold my head high and show off my bike, the way it was intended to look. There are so many things that needs to be addressed, it's almost overwhelming. New crash guards on the front will be helping me out this time around, along with new mirrors. Today I took off a lot of parts, that will need a lot of attention. So Parts taken off, engine taped off, let the games begin.
Who gives a shit! Did you ride it there? If I was going I would proudly park next to you!

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what if it is not a fucking trailer queen they are made to ride and enjoy
Be proud of what you have and screw what people think

Glenn
Trailer Queen is just not in my DNA.........or my wifes...
This is me taking pride in my ride, like I know should....
I get it, it's 12 years old....but none the less....

·
Registered
2017 RGS Olive Gold
371 Posts
I had an old wise rider once tell me "if you ride it it's dirty". When I see a bike I look past the dirt because mine is only spotless about twice a year. I try to keep it presentable, but whenever I start cleaning it I rush because all I want to do is jump on it and ride.
Right there with ya on that!

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
O ya, I get that part for sure.......especially with me doing the work I am doing,
Only to jump the bike and ride 1200 miles... I am sure it's not going to look like it did when I pulled out of the driveway to make the trip, but in my head it will at least be presentable, nobody likes to be on their bike more than me that is for sure I don't even need an excuse to go riding I just see it and get on it take off, I used to get in trouble for that, but now when I start up the motor you can best believe my old ladies on the back!!

Dirt is one thing and is a badge honor that shows you ride your bike.....
but rust is different story, no badge of honor here, it just looks like neglected...
If I had given it a little thought, I would have left the rust on there, and just slapped dirt on the rusted parts........nobody would have been the wiser.....🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At this point, I am In deep, and the OCD has takin over.
Because of my OCD, I won't stop till its finished........

1 - 20 of 62 Posts