Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question? i was told by the dealer that running amsoil 20W50 in the primary would cause premature wear and possible failure? that i should only be running primary oil or 75W90 syn ? second question should i run 75W90 amsoil in the transmission as well? Help please:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Lots of people run Mobil 1 20w/50 in the primary. Harley recommends Syn3 which is a 20w/50. I don't see why the Amsoil wouldn't work as long as it's JASO rated.

There are also lots of folks that run the 75w/90 gear oil in the transmission with no issues.

Personally I run a 10w/40 or Formula+ in the primary and 75w/140 Mobil1 gear oil in the transmission.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info,my local bike shop told me to run vtwin primary and 75W90 in the trans ,which would be syn amsoil as well.:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I run mobil 1 v-twin in the engine, HD formula in the primary and Bel ray big twin transmission fluid in the tranny.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I've been running ATF (dexron IV - for GM transmissions) for years and years in everyone one of my primary's, Shovel, Evo, my 2005 twinkie, and plan to use in 2012 also.

I use Redline Shockproof heavy in my transmission, the V-Twin stuff is orange, if that's not a reason I don't know what is! ;-)

That's just my preference. I would never use a heavy oil synth or motor oil in the primary. An automatic car transmission is far more hostile environment than our primaries comprised of friction materials and roller bearings, deja vu.

I also would never run that flawed POS OEM automatic tensioner. I've got a fixed shoe on the way.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Why would you want to run a full synthetic in the primary? You need some kind of friction between the disc. I thought the only reason there was any oil in the primary was to lubricate the sprockets and chain. I dont run synthetic in my primary for those reasons. I run a primary oil made by Spectro.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Why would you want to run a full synthetic in the primary? You need some kind of friction between the disc. I thought the only reason there was any oil in the primary was to lubricate the sprockets and chain. I dont run synthetic in my primary for those reasons. I run a primary oil made by Spectro.
Perhaps, but on my FatBoy, the clutch was buttery smooth and precise with Amsoil. With my new Glide, I am going to try the dedicated RedLine Primary fluid. Both are fully synthetic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 03 road glide and found a leak coming from the sprocket closes to the engine can any body have any ideas where that might be coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have an 03 road glide and found a leak coming from the sprocket closes to the engine can any body have any ideas where that might be coming from?
Using different colored fluids helps isolate these kinda things. Trans will leak from the main seal and sector shaft. Primary can leave at the engine o-ring and also at the 4 trans mounting bolts. Inner mainshaft and of course Primary can leak all along the outer primary gasket...

Lots of places... so yer gonna have to crawl, wipe and look. With ATF in the primary I know when it's leaking, redline shockproof tranny oil leaves a pink spot...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've also ran Bel-Ray in my trans. For the reason listed above,an "old" biker once told me that's how you tell what's leaking by the color.---back when they all left spot's on the ground.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have 03 road glide and I recently replace the inner primary and gaskets and the drive sprocket seal and still leaks can anybody help
Which is leaking, transmission or primary? Try different color fluids to determine which is leaking.

If the inner primary was removed, was the correct o-ring used? Was silicone used where needed? Was the inner primary seal replaced?

My '05 leaked transmission fluid always leaked from the shifter shaft seal...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I run Red-Line Vtwin Primary in the Primary & Red-Line Vtwin Transmission in trany ~ any Heavy Gear Oil will work in Trany ~ Even ATF will work in Primary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts