Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for advice on repairs - my 08 RG seems to be going south in the Primary / Clutch basket area. I have 25k miles and have done the following trying to track down the root of the problem which began after a rear tire replacement and subsequent belt tensioning. I've replaced; primary fluid (no issues or residue), primary chain tensioner, rear wheel bearings, rear brake pads, inspected pulley bearing (no issues), re-tension belt to spec (multiple times), inspected tire for cupping (no issues), Compensator seems fine. IDS inspected and no issues. Belt is fine and not damaged.

I suspect the belt tension was set too tight after the tire change - thus damaging bearing and associated contacting components. ??? is what components should I be looking at for damage, and who's components (oem HD or ??) should I be looking to use for replacement.

No way I can do this work myself so I just want to be as knowable as possible before taking it to a shop for diagnosis and repair. Yes I have a Manual and I have looked at Chapters 6 and 7. Still lost so I need a wrench turner with experience to offer up some insight.

TIA.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Need more details on the 'problem'...Your post just says "seems to be going south in primary/clutch area"?

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Whats the bike acting like? When I swapped engines I replaced the clutch hub bearing with a stock HD bearing. I still use the stock HD primary chain tensioner with no issue. The job isn't that hard, first take a 3/16 or 1/4 inch piece of flat steel about a 1/4 wide, I forget how long but it's about 5 or 6 inches, grind a bevel in both ends making sure the bevels are opposite of each other, that will lock the primary chain. The remove the compensator nut and the clutch spring and chain tensioner then remove the clutch hub nut and you can pull the comp and clutch hub out at the same time. I took the clutch hub to a machine shop and they pressed out the old bearing and pressed in the new bearing. Just as a safety replace the inner primary case bearing too, just get the new bolts needed to do the job. When I replaced my clutch hub bearing with somewhere around 100, 000 mi on it the bearing was still good so chances are the clutch hub bearing is still good but you never know. Are you sure the problem isn't the rear pulley bearing?? I've had to replace 2 of them so far on my bike. If you haven't done this already jack the bike up and roll the wheel backwards and if you hear grinding or clicking or the pulley moves side to side then that's the problem The rear pulley bearing that's in the 08 is only for the 08 HD used different pulley bearings before and after 08. Also the bearing is made in Yugoslavia so it may take some time to get it if the dealer doesn't have it in stock. Good luck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need more details on the 'problem'...Your post just says "seems to be going south in primary/clutch area"?

Whats the bike acting like? When I swapped engines I replaced the clutch hub bearing with a stock HD bearing. I still use the stock HD primary chain tensioner with no issue. The job isn't that hard, first take a 3/16 or 1/4 inch piece of flat steel about a 1/4 wide, I forget how long but it's about 5 or 6 inches, grind a bevel in both ends making sure the bevels are opposite of each other, that will lock the primary chain. The remove the compensator nut and the clutch spring and chain tensioner then remove the clutch hub nut and you can pull the comp and clutch hub out at the same time. I took the clutch hub to a machine shop and they pressed out the old bearing and pressed in the new bearing. Just as a safety replace the inner primary case bearing too, just get the new bolts needed to do the job. When I replaced my clutch hub bearing with somewhere around 100, 000 mi on it the bearing was still good so chances are the clutch hub bearing is still good but you never know. Are you sure the problem isn't the rear pulley bearing?? I've had to replace 2 of them so far on my bike. If you haven't done this already jack the bike up and roll the wheel backwards and if you hear grinding or clicking or the pulley moves side to side then that's the problem The rear pulley bearing that's in the 08 is only for the 08 HD used different pulley bearings before and after 08. Also the bearing is made in Yugoslavia so it may take some time to get it if the dealer doesn't have it in stock. Good luck.
Should have added the symptoms when I posted - maybe this will make sense and help with solution.

Noise comes from primary / pulley area - rear of bike. No noise initially (cold) but grows in intensity the longer the bike is operated (warmed up or hot). Does not happen at idle or when in neutral, or stopped with bike in gear and clutch disengaged, and will stop when at low speed coasting with clutch disengaged. More pronounced making left hand turn at low speed and low rpm. Sounds like a dragging brake - whoop whoop whoop and the longer you ride the louder it gets to the point of a grinding sound.

I did pull the sprocket and have the pulley bearing checked -- the Dealer Master Tech said it was fine.

Thanks again for your input and advice.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
That sure sounds like a wheel bearing to me but you had those checked too. My 08 had issues with the rear wheel bearings. I had to replace the rear wheel bearing the first time at 16,000 mi. Never had a problem with the front bearings. What's the chances that the tech missed something I mean that since the 08 rear pulley bearing is a 1 year only part the tech may not know what to look for. The 1st sign that my pulley bearing was going bad was a grinding or clicking sound and it was more prominent when turning to the left.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sure sounds like a wheel bearing to me but you had those checked too. My 08 had issues with the rear wheel bearings. I had to replace the rear wheel bearing the first time at 16,000 mi. Never had a problem with the front bearings. What's the chances that the tech missed something I mean that since the 08 rear pulley bearing is a 1 year only part the tech may not know what to look for. The 1st sign that my pulley bearing was going bad was a grinding or clicking sound and it was more prominent when turning to the left.
That was my initial thought. Had the pulley bearing replaced at 10k and it just fell out of the sprocket when the rear wheel was pulled. The rear wheel bearing were just replaced too along with the primary chain tensioner.

At the time I made the original post I had just re-adjusted the rear belt tension to the maximum slack amount (7/16 - call it 1/2 inch) and prior I had it tensioned to 3/8" or slightly looser. Dealer had it tensioned to 3/8 max. I had not taken it out for a test ride since I found the infamous saddle bag support fail while wrapping up the work. Got the new heavy-duty supports yesterday and put them on so I decided to take it out for a ride. The noise I described is faint and nearly non existent. Makes me think it is the inner primary bearing and that the dealer over-tightening caused a flat spot in the bearing - which when combined with heat and an over tensioned belt cause the rhythmic "whoop whoop whoop" grinding. Not sure how long a compromised bearing will last but I do know it is not under the stress put on it by a too tight belt and it is not make the "I'm gonna die" noise. Gonna take it for a longer ride tomorrow to validate. Will find a reputable shop to change the bearing in the near future. Better safe than sorry. Will follow up once I have the old bearing out for visual inspection.

Thanks for the input.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rear pulley bearing that's in the 08 is only for the 08 HD used different pulley bearings before and after 08. Also the bearing is made in Yugoslavia so it may take some time to get it if the dealer doesn't have it in stock. Good luck.

I try to keep a list of oem part numbers for my 08 RG - I don't have this one in my file and the "Dealer" quoted a number when researched was a wheel bearing. Do you happen to have the part number handy to share?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
No I don't, both times I had mine replaced the dealer did it and I never paid attention to the part #.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I don't, both times I had mine replaced the dealer did it and I never paid attention to the part #.

Did some searching and found it is HD-9285.

Could not get one here but did order on-line for a PA Harley Dealer.

Ride Safe and enjoy. Hope to make SW again - maybe next year - maybe catch you there.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Did some searching and found it is HD-9285.

Could not get one here but did order on-line for a PA Harley Dealer.

Ride Safe and enjoy. Hope to make SW again - maybe next year - maybe catch you there.
Hey Gary, get that thing fixed and someday we’ll make a Bucksnort run

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Gary, get that thing fixed and someday we’ll make a Bucksnort run

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado

Gonna give it the two-up test next week over to Winter Park to Wake'n Bacon. That should give me a good indication on how soon it will go under the knife. Rode today for a good while and only after a few hours did it begin to exhibit a faint noise. Hopefully with Sturgis in the rear view mirror (soon) many shops will have time. Good to hear from you. Ride safe and stay in touch.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I hope to see you next year at SW I've missed the last few Durango was the last one I made and my health wasn't too good then. So maybe if the stars line up right I can make Tahoe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts