Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed a clicking noise as I was backing the bike up in the garage while not running today. Started it up and put in first gear to pull it forward and shut engine off. Backed up again and clicking noise remained. The clicking speeds up the faster you back up. My guess is tensioners? Called and made an appt for them to check it out under warranty at the dealer. Any thoughts on what it may be?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Just noticed a clicking noise as I was backing the bike up in the garage while not running today. Started it up and put in first gear to pull it forward and shut engine off. Backed up again and clicking noise remained. The clicking speeds up the faster you back up. My guess is tensioners? Called and made an appt for them to check it out under warranty at the dealer. Any thoughts on what it may be?
Your moving the bike without it running so it can't be the chain tensioner because the chain isn't moving without the motor running. You will sometimes get a clicking or squeaking noise from the drive belt when backing up. The belt tries to shift to the inside of the sprocket and causes the noise. It will not make the noise when you push it forward because the belt centers itself again

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gonna take it for a spin for a whiskey run and see if it continues...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine squeaks pretty good when i back it up. Makes a little more than a squeak sometimes.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like something other than the final belt to me.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Seriously though... Have you tried putting it on a jack and moving the rear tire? Are your brake pads still good?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Soumds to me like your belt is too tight.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Put it in gear and pull in the clutch and do the same, backing up and pushing forward. Does it do it when you do this? If not, you have something going on in neutral with the transmission or possibly the bearing are gone on the final drive shaft or the bearing race could have walked. Maybe something as simple as the nut has backed off on the transmission belt pulley. Next step is pulling the primary cover and inspect with the back wheel off the ground and rotate the wheel to hear it better. Next is pulling the compensator sprocket and clutch basket to get to the inner primary and remove to get to the belt sprocket.

Edit: Before you pull all this, lift the back wheel off the ground and rotate the rear tire with the bike in neutral of course. Still make the sound? If it does proceed with above steps.
Of course if the bike is in warranty, let Harley worry about it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Wow that's loud. Sounds like somethings hitting, but could be a belt thats way too tight. Either way, I'd get it up in the air & see if it does it, & see if you can pinpoint it from there. But. .....like Smarty said, if its under warranty let the dealership handle it.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you still have the baseball card in the spokes? >:)
LOL that's what I thought of too! Haven't put it on the jack to check it no. I'll try that today.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put it in gear and pull in the clutch and do the same, backing up and pushing forward. Does it do it when you do this? If not, you have something going on in neutral with the transmission or possibly the bearing are gone on the final drive shaft or the bearing race could have walked. Maybe something as simple as the nut has backed off on the transmission belt pulley. Next step is pulling the primary cover and inspect with the back wheel off the ground and rotate the wheel to hear it better. Next is pulling the compensator sprocket and clutch basket to get to the inner primary and remove to get to the belt sprocket.

Edit: Before you pull all this, lift the back wheel off the ground and rotate the rear tire with the bike in neutral of course. Still make the sound? If it does proceed with above steps.
Of course if the bike is in warranty, let Harley worry about it.
Wow that's loud. Sounds like somethings hitting, but could be a belt thats way too tight. Either way, I'd get it up in the air & see if it does it, & see if you can pinpoint it from there. But. .....like Smarty said, if its under warranty let the dealership handle it.

Lil Chief
Great info, thanks! As I stated before, I have already called and made an appointment first thing tomorrow at the dealer. He assured that it would be covered under warranty. He also said they have all the parts in stock to repair what it may need. Hopefully they can get it fixed tomorrow without an over night stay. Gonna have them trouble shoot the ticking during cold start ups too if it stays overnight.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Bummer Man
Good Luck & I Hope They Can Fix It Fast For You.
I know you take care of your bike and hopefully it's something simple.
Swomack

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bummer Man
Good Luck & I Hope They Can Fix It Fast For You.
I know you take care of your bike and hopefully it's something simple.
Swomack
Thanks brother, I'm looking at it as an opportunity to get new parts, and maybe some new upgraded parts, out of pocket of course. Thinking HD clutch spring in prep for cams, and possible lifters if they look at the cold start ticking. Maybe even rockouts if they agree to do the labor under warranty. >:)

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Thanks brother, I'm looking at it as an opportunity to get new parts, and maybe some new upgraded parts, out of pocket of course. Thinking HD clutch spring in prep for cams, and possible lifters if they look at the cold start ticking. Maybe even rockouts if they agree to do the labor under warranty. >:)
Cams, Lifters & Heavy Duty Clutch sure sounds good. When time is right I will be doing those upgrades as well. Once again good luck brother. let us know the final outcome.
Swomack

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will do. Just put it on the jack and spun rear wheel. Still clicking

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Wheel bearings or rear pulley bearing are usually the culprit. But that is a unusual sound so it could be a clutch hub bearing or a inner primary bearing or a tranny bearing too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts