Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks... Grumpy & Frugal here again with another silly quesiton...

Do I REALLY need to buy an new primary gasket for this 1,000 mile fluid change I will be doing this weekend...

It seems such a waste to throw away that almost NEW looking gasket...
Not to mention the $15 HD will charge me for the new one....

·
Registered
593 Posts
The 1K maint. does not require pulling the primary cover off. You do have to pull the derby cover off to re-fill the primary. The primary cover runs $35.00 plus . Some people replace derby gasket every time, some don't.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Mines original and I'm coming up on my 5k. I think I will reuse it over and over till it leaks just for my own amusement, lol!

I do have a brand new one sitting on my workbench, bought it when I picked the bike up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
After my 1000 mile service (Free), I drained the oil the dealer put in the primary and replaced it with Redline V-Twin Primary Case Oil. My derby cover only has an O Ring, not a gasket like my 2008 EG had. Not missing anything, am I?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My '01 Ultra Classic still had it's original derby cover o-ring when I sold it in June 2011, changed the oil every 5000, so had the primary open at least 8 times.

The gasket for the entire cover is a different matter, if you're lucky you'll be able to get it off without destroying it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My '01 Ultra Classic still had it's original derby cover o-ring when I sold it in June 2011, changed the oil every 5000, so had the primary open at least 8 times.

The gasket for the entire cover is a different matter, if you're lucky you'll be able to get it off without destroying it.
I reused the primary gasket on my '05 at least 5 times. Never replaced it and it never leaked.

I have the original derby cover o-ring of my 1994 softail.
The 2012 derby cover is some bizarro thing. Guessing that's a $15 "o"-ring.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After my 1000 mile service (Free), I drained the oil the dealer put in the primary and replaced it with Redline V-Twin Primary Case Oil. My derby cover only has an O Ring, not a gasket like my 2008 EG had. Not missing anything, am I?
You're correct . Its an oil ring. I just referred to it as a gasket. When replacing that ring ,The dealer sells you a cardboard gasket ...
Ill just keep and reuse the oil ring... As mist have done without issues,

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 11 of 11 Posts