Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing the 1k service today, but cant open the damn screws that hold up the primary cover. Broke 2 T-27 bits one from pepboys and one from sears, so they weren't the cheap shit ones. Still can't open those screws. What should i do????

Do you think dealer will help me out with this, or should i just keep trying? I just dont want to strip the stupid screws.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would try and take some sort of punch either one that fits inside the torx or a bigger one that fits on the head of the screw and give it a couple of smacks with a hammer should help break the locktight loose. Just try not to screw up the torx head so you cant get the wrench back in there. Other than that use your WARRANTY! I love that part of a new bike. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have help a few buddies with that. First tried center punch and a good wack, then a pencil butane torch to add heat, but The end result were striped torx heads and a sharp chisel was what it took to break them free by hitting the head of the bolt in the out direction. BECAREFUL not to slip and fubar the primary derby cover. Reinstall new bolts with antiseize will help in the future.

leroy

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
I was doing the 1k service today, but cant open the damn screws that hold up the primary cover. Broke 2 T-27 bits one from pepboys and one from sears, so they weren't the cheap shit ones. Still can't open those screws. What should i do????

Do you think dealer will help me out with this, or should i just keep trying? I just dont want to strip the stupid screws.
You need an impact screw driver with the Torx head tip. If you don't have/ can't get just drill the heads off. At least the ones you stripped. The screw part comes right out with out the head on.Then replace the Torx head screws with Allen head screws, your dealer will have them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for advices, i finally got it. Impact screwdriver did the job.

The dealership was of no help at all, what a shocker.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I had the same problem; letting the motor get hot was the trick for me - they came right out then. :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
Shouldn't need loctite on them. Put never-seize on them, torque to spec and that should be all you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts