Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change the oil in the primary and I guess HD changed from the round disk to just a round rubber seal for the cover. Anyone know if the disk still works (I have an extra one of those), looks like it might. It's a 103, but I don't believe that would matter...

Thanks,
Woody

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Getting ready to change the oil in the primary and I guess HD changed from the round disk to just a round rubber seal for the cover. Anyone know if the disk still works (I have an extra one of those), looks like it might. It's a 103, but I don't believe that would matter...

Thanks,
Woody

You can use either. I am still on my original "O" ring seal. I've done my primary oil 3 times with no leaks. I'll be doing my 40,000 mile in a month or so. I plan on using the original ring yet again.

If you use the ring over, just make sure to clean the surfaces and the ring well before assembly.

If you change to a custom derby cover, then you have to use the disk, unless it has the groove for the ring.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron, that's what I figured. I plan to use the "O" ring seal again too, just wanted to make sure I had a back up in case it was damaged. 'Preciate it!!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Yep, have used the same this side clutch, gasket @16 times or more, never leaked, still have the back-up thrown one of chest from over 8yrs ago, hell they even reused it after warranty work,cheap SOBs

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Yep, have used the same this side clutch, gasket @16 times or more, never leaked, still have the back-up thrown one of chest from over 8yrs ago, hell they even reused it after warranty work,cheap SOBs

16 times would be 160,000 miles...... and they're the cheap SOB's? :D

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I'd say thrifty, and will also answer to A$$hole, or just tell em to drive that middle finger up their....

I change the primary every time I change oil, prety much, drain pans already there, shes' got over 88000 miles on her:p

math not your strong suit:rolleyes:

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Used to change the oil every 2k but now more like 3-3.5k, somewhere back @ 12k the dealer put a new one (guessin) cause they gave me one back, and this one's the same one. when the tensioners came unglued @ 84k they put the same one back in, watched em. Now the tranys only been changed 4x, shhh, only I do the fluids as my other bikes, RG primary always a lil greyish from the clutch an such, rather be doing that right now than this (work, shhh) and it's pissy rainin here. Should've saved the MT beer cans to prove uh:D

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Used to change the oil every 2k but now more like 3-3.5k, somewhere back @ 12k the dealer put a new one (guessin) cause they gave me one back, and this one's the same one. when the tensioners came unglued @ 84k they put the same one back in, watched em. Now the tranys only been changed 4x, shhh, only I do the fluids as my other bikes, RG primary always a lil greyish from the clutch an such, rather be doing that right now than this (work, shhh) and it's pissy rainin here. Should've saved the MT beer cans to prove uh:D
I used to do the 2500 mile oil changes. Then I sent a couple of samples to Blackstone labs. They asked me why I was sending them virtually new oil. So I started doing what the manual says, and did 5K...... sent in another sample, and they told me I could extend that even more if I wanted to. But 5K is long enough that it doesn't seem like I'm swapping oil every 2 weeks. It's more like every month and a half.

Isn't it always raining there? I was at Ft Lewis for a while. I think I saw the sun a couple of times, but it might have been wishful thinking. :cool:

·
Registered
329 Posts
No disrespect is meant by this post. I just can't seem to understand why people won't just change the o rings and clutch cover gasket when doing a service? These parts are extremely inexpensive and could save you from having to replace them before a service is due if you detect a leak. Am I missing something? Are these parts worth a lot of money in different parts of the US? By the way I had a service done by a dealer in Texas and they decided to use the existing o ring and caused a leak so it can happen. Sorry if I offended anyone who likes to save a penny to spend a dollar down the road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts