Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found on my primary that the screw left to the drain plug, is leaking right throw the screw. Now i used the tephlon tape but still leaking sould i replace the primary seal and the screw also or can this be more complecated then i think. Please any ideas would come in handy Thank you for all the help.

·
Administrator
10,491 Posts
I'd start with changing the primary gasket for certain , and surely wouldn't hurt to mebbe swap the screw with another one , just don't swap with one of the four in the front , they are longer . Not so much on the newer bikes , but the older ones was very common to leak around there

JtB

·
Registered
362 Posts
Why not remove the screw squeeze some clear silicone in the hole reinstall the screw and wait till you have a better reason to remove the primary cover

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Had a leak on my 01RG ended up the outer primary sealing surface was not flat,took it to an automotive machine shop and had them use the large belt sander that they use to flatten header flanges with ,they sanded the sealing surface i never had a drip or any seapage after that,put 50,000 miles on it

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If wanting to remove the cover, clean both surfaces and replace with a top-quality gasket, and torque the screws to the exact dedicated ft/lbs, which I believe is 10.
Scott

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so would like to update all on what have i found and replaced and what the out came is at this point.
so we removed the primary looked like it was come from the inner primary bearing that connects to the shaft coming out the transmision and rear wheel pully, looked like it was leaking from their hitting the pully and when bike on the kickstand it would then just drip down the side and right to the from screw. so we went ahead and replaced the bearing and thier is a sleave that slides into the old bearing that we removed, after some asking around we went with a new bearing kit from baker all parts are sealed. well I went and finally took the bike out for a test ride on thursday nigh and friday night to see if the leak was repaired, and this morning i woke up to a leak still have not looked into it if still fromthe back of the primary but will be looking into it after work today.

at this point I just didnt see any other spot that it can be leaking from I didnt see anything out of the transmision. from the back of the pully, if anyone has had this issue and can help please any ideas would be great.
the other question can is be just a bad inner primary cover they are expensive and really dont want to buy unless that the only thing left.

hopr to hear from anyone out their and thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just finished repairing a primary leak that I had been chasing for 8K miles. It ended up being the stator wire seal (rubber plug). The seal would leak just a tad when riding and the wind would push the drops under the bike and drip off overnight. Look around up by the stator wire exit and see if there is anything. Some oil leaks are just a pain in the ass to find.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You should replace the shifter shaft seal, main shaft seal with a Cometic double lip quad seal. This is a very common leak on Harley's. Had it on my softail and Dyna both. Took off the primary and replaced every seal in there as the first time I just did the main shaft seal and it was still leaking. My buddy just did this the other day and didn't do the mainshaft seal and surprise surprise it was still leaking. He just did the main shaft yesterday. We'll see what happens.

This is one of the few things that I actually paid someone to do as after spending the time tearing it all apart and putting it back together I was quite frustrated.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I'd likely, if you havn't, dye trace it (or in the areospace n access to and blacklight it), or using something like belray (red) trans oil or viceversa in primary, iam lazy that way to find a source (MOTO), { thinking florocence you know the dye powder to trace water leaks in your shiter....i'd probably go with a colored oil, but hey

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ill try all until i can find what it is. the dye can i pick that up at any auto paert store.
aslo one of my boys has a 2012 street glide, he replaced the inner primary and has the black stock would that fit on my 04 road glide he has offered it to me if mine is bad can anyone let me know thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey they changed the inner primary seal between 03 and 04. I found out the hard way.bought a James gasket kit and it came with both. I used the one that didn't look like the one they gave me at the dealer the first time I changed it.doesn't leak now good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If you take the inner primary off you should replace all the seals in the tranny,if for nothing else peace of mind,make sure to wrap the shifter shaft with tape or in my case i made a thin walled plastic sleeve to cover the splines those seals tear pretty easy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts