Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is what's happening. Towards the end of last season I took a ride to NY and was stuck in traffic, my bike was getting real hot and by the time I was able to split the lane the motor was burning hot that I actually had to pull over to let it cool, well the next day I found a spot on the floor and noticed it was coming out some were by either the primary drain screw or the screw right in front of i, I also thought maybe the casket went bad, well I replaced the casket and also the drain plug and put new screws. Now is the waiting game so far so good but just trying to get some ideas just in case, if it still is a leak can anyone give me any ideas on what it could be or what to do to fix it, like should I use casket putty with the casket , I heard that I can add telphlon tape on the screws. Let me know and thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
You should be good to go with gasket change and new o-ring on drain plug. The gasket is designed to isolate the screws, so wouldn't worry about them leaking.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I doubt you will have any more issues. You fixed what needed to be fixed.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The question you may want to ask is why did it start leaking in the first place. I highly doubt that the engine getting too hot will affect the outer primary cover gasket or the O-ring on the drain plug.
I could possibly see the inner primary gasket being the problem but that's unlikely too.
You may have had a few of the outer primary screws loosen up which may have caused the leak.
Usually if the bike overheats the primary gasket integrity is not compromised. In most cases the outer primary gasket can be reused many time over with no leak issues.
Hopefully you got it fixed but keep a eye on it.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
I had a leak which I thought was the primary drain plug o-ring so I replaced it. Rode it for a day or two and saw I still had a leak. This time I thought it was coming from the primary cover gasket by the drain plug so I replaced the outer primary gasket. I rode that for another day and it was still leaking. Upon a very in depth inspection this time I found transmission main shaft seal in the back of the primary to be the culprit the whole time. Moral of the story is check and then double check because not everything is easy as it seems

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar leak show up on an Iron Butt run, turned out to be 2 bolts behind the exaust bracket had vibrated loose, 1700 miles in 24 hrs turned out to be a little roughon the old girl, a quick snug and 500 miles home with no leaks. I can't wait to pound down some miles on the new RGU, if you replased the gasket then all is tight and should be fine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts