Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one had a problem with primary oil filling the starter motorand having the oil run out of the back of the starter,its not the seal on the out side of the starter housing which seals to the inner primary,it appears to going down the starter jacksaft into the starter,its on an 09 RG that belongs to a riding buddy,my first guess is that the starter housing may be cracked

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As i suspected the snout on the starter was cracked so as it would heat up the crack would open up.dont think the housing itself is available,so looks like he may have to buy a new one ,ouch.

·
Registered
781 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me. Dealer said some of the 09 starters were bad. But I ended up buying a new one. While he's at it have him change out his compensator to the SE. Compensator, he'll have to soon anyway.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me. Dealer said some of the 09 starters were bad. But I ended up buying a new one. While he's at it have him change out his compensator to the SE. Compensator, he'll have to soon anyway.
You can change out the starter without opening up the primary on the 09s and up. Although a bad comp will eventually wipe out the new starter so i would recommend a new comp anyways

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone here tried an aftermarket starter? I didn't see this post before I started a new thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts