Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for a 20,000 mile service, trying to decide what oil to use, not sure its as critical as the transmission or engine oil and am leaning towards the HD Formula + Primary oil.

Plenty of oil is as good, is there one that is a big improvement?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
tried SYN tried red line primary lube, tried Spector primary lube.Back to plain old HD Formula + Primary oil just makes no difference.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I use Formula + also, don't see the need for expensive synthetic in primary

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Formula + is about as good as it gets for your primary. Not knocking any other oils but this is one that has proven itself.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
The Barnett Kevlar Clutch Pack I recently put in specifically states DO NOT USE FORUMLA +. They recommend Type F transmission fluid, or any Non-Synthetic Motorcycle oil designed for wet clutch use.

I am using Valvoline 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil. $5.00 a quart at Auto Zone. I think that would work just as well for any clutch you may have. Only thing wrong with it is it has to have the THINNEST bottle I have ever seen. Just don't drop them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Barnett Kevlar Clutch Pack I recently put in specifically states DO NOT USE FORUMLA +. They recommend Type F transmission fluid, or any Non-Synthetic Motorcycle oil designed for wet clutch use.

I am using Valvoline 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil. $5.00 a quart at Auto Zone. I think that would work just as well for any clutch you may have. Only thing wrong with it is it has to have the THINNEST bottle I have ever seen. Just don't drop them.
+1 on valvoline. Meets and exceeds all oil requirements and inexpensive.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
if you are running a stock clutch, formula + is fine. but there are other alternatives. I use shell rotella t. 15w-40. runs about $12 a gallon, as opposed to $8.95 qt.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Rotella is non-synthetic.

I just put in a Rivera Primo clutch and they recommend Mercron ATF fluid which is $5 quart and can be had locally with ease.
Rotella T is synthetic. Plain old Rotella is dino or non synthetic.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Wrong my friend.

Rotella T is not synthetic

Rotella T5 & T6 are synthetic but are not a 15W-40 oil as was stated for use above.
Oops I stand corrected. Had a brain fart and should know better because I just used T6 in my truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is Barnett not recommending Formula+ because of their clutch plates, proprietary issue ?, or because they are selling their own oil. I was told by my stealership service dept. not to use SE SYN 3 in the primary cause HD won't warranty clutch plates damaged by the SYN 3. Go figure.

·
Registered
654 Posts
A couple month back someone posted on one of the lube threads that formula + should be used as it is able to cling to primary chain and transmission gears better than synthetic engine oil that is so slippery it does not cling the moving parts of the primary or transmission.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts