Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of you guys probably well know this - but it surprised me yesterday so thought I'd post here in case others are down on my "handy" level.

I was changing all three fluids yesterday, and as I haven't done in a LONG time - rounded out the heads of two screws on my derby cover. Couldn't get them out w/ impact driver or anything. A buddy had done the same thing recently and got his out by drilling out the screws. I was afraid to try because didn't want to risk getting metal inside . . . but what I didn't realize was drilling off the heads let me pull off the cover - then a LOT of screw shaft showing to turn out the screw body. And, they easily came out.

So, no biggie but an "ah-ha" moment for me. Hope it helps someone.

Ron

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice save!

The next step in that remedy is not to replace the stripped screws with stock HD buttonhead screws, only to have the same thing happen again in the future.
Replace all of the derby cover screws with a better quality hex head screw.
I replaced all mine with socket head screws that match the screws on the rest of the primary.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nice save!

The next step in that remedy is not to replace the stripped screws with stock HD buttonhead screws, only to have the same thing happen again in the future.
Replace all of the derby cover screws with a better quality hex head screw.
I replaced all mine with socket head screws that match the screws on the rest of the primary.

First time I had to take the derby off my 10 I snapped off two Snap-On bits trying to get the stupid tiny torx screws out. I ended up drilling the heads off of 3 of them (like above) since some idiot put them on - in a bad mood - with god-knows-what.

I then did about the same, hardware store, allenheads, never a problem since.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look on the driver you were using, and tell us what the number on it is. It'll be like 22-30, some where in that range.
Don't have it w/ me anymore. Mine is one that was my Dad's back from the 60's, so I borrowed one from a buddy.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Don't have it w/ me anymore. Mine is one that was my Dad's back from the 60's, so I borrowed one from a buddy.
The screws are T27. Most Torx sets have a T25 and no T27. The T25 will fit in the opening, but is actually a little small. They tend to round out on screws that are just a little snug.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The screws are T27. Most Torx sets have a T25 and no T27. The T25 will fit in the opening, but is actually a little small. They tend to round out on screws that are just a little snug.
Yup, rounded out 2 of my primary screws this way. Then used a T27 on the others. Had to cut the heads off the bad ones.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Don't worry about metal savings , if any shaving get in there they should go to the magnet on the drain plug. I replaced the torque head screws with allen head screws and I never had any problems since. Another thing is DON,T use loc-tite on the replacement screws, I never used loc-tite and never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a T27. Funny though, I started with an old cheap torx set that I’ve had for years. Threw the whole set in the trash & finished w/ a set of craftsman - which worked fine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Lots of you guys probably well know this - but it surprised me yesterday so thought I'd post here in case others are down on my "handy" level.

I was changing all three fluids yesterday, and as I haven't done in a LONG time - rounded out the heads of two screws on my derby cover. Couldn't get them out w/ impact driver or anything. A buddy had done the same thing recently and got his out by drilling out the screws. I was afraid to try because didn't want to risk getting metal inside . . . but what I didn't realize was drilling off the heads let me pull off the cover - then a LOT of screw shaft showing to turn out the screw body. And, they easily came out.

So, no biggie but an "ah-ha" moment for me. Hope it helps someone.

Ron

Had the same deal happen, I now use Allen headed screws for the primary cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
BAM! What he said ^^^ Striped 2 out using a 25 before realizing it was a 27. Also leave the mushroom tea alone before doing any work on your bike. Don't ask any questions just take my word on it...

·
Registered
453 Posts
The first time out they are ALWAYS hard to remove, as they are factory coated with loctite. The gold colored 3/8 drive snap-on t27 is a good buy for this purpose. Though a hand impact driver can come in handy. Also why a set of 4 flute screw removers is handy to keep in the tool box.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Polished Stainless ARP 12 point look real nice on the derby. Actually they look nice as a replacement for every other bolt on the bike too. :grin:
That's what I'm saying..Dont waste money on cheap hardware.

Here is a little trick for people using stock bolts in primary cover. Before you try loosening them take a T-27 bit and put on an extension. Then with the bit and extension positioned correctly tap with a hammer a few times. This slight shock will help free up the bolts. I have been doing this for years and never had a issue getting them out.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I always use my torque wrench on these with dab of blue loctite and never an issue but my buddy stripped his with a T25 , but I like the sound of the Allen head bolts someone spoke of , I wonder where ya found those going to switch to those this year.

·
Registered
701 Posts
but I like the sound of the Allen head bolts someone spoke of , I wonder where ya found those going to switch to those this year.
I got them at a True Value hardware store in a shopping center a few miles for my house - total life saver for those Sunday afternoon projects. I virtually never get bolts from HD anymore, as TV has a great selection stainless, chrome, grade 8, etc.

It looks Mom & Pop from the outside with all the flower pots and yard windmills ... But damn they stock hardware like a Tractor Supply.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts