Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drained and refilled my primary on my '08 RG. Manual says 38 oz. to bring it to the bottom edge of the clutch pack. I put in about 34 oz. to bring it to the proper level when upright. Do I need to put in a few more oz. or leave it be? Don't want to overfill. I'd like to meet the HD rocket scientist that did away with the trap door for refilling.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Just drained and refilled my primary on my '08 RG. Manual says 38 oz. to bring it to the bottom edge of the clutch pack. I put in about 34 oz. to bring it to the proper level when upright. Do I need to put in a few more oz. or leave it be? Don't want to overfill. I'd like to meet the HD rocket scientist that did away with the trap door for refilling.

I've been filling mine with just 32oz for years, never an issue, and easy to remember.

Although the missing door is a pain, so were the leaks from it, so I don't miss it much.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Bring it right to the lip of the diaphragm spring and it will be good to go.....The oil is just a bath for the chain so it doesn't need to be exact....Every bike is different and we end up putting different amounts in each bike as it is needed....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bring it right to the lip of the diaphragm spring and it will be good to go.....The oil is just a bath for the chain so it doesn't need to be exact....Every bike is different and we end up putting different amounts in each bike as it is needed....
Is this with the bike level on a lift, or leaning on the jiffy stand?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
so...

engine 3.5 qt
trans 1 qt
primary 1qt

all I need now are the torque specs for the air cleaner element and
that needle tool for lubing the clutch cable

great info on this site
That's it. Always seems to take a little less than specified. Better low to mid range than too full. Too much and it WILL find its way out.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I measured mine when I changed it a couple of days ago. Bike was hot as I had ridden over 100 miles and pulled the drain plug as soon as I pulled into the garage. I let it drain until it stopped dripping completely. It drained 35 oz which is the amount I put back in. This is the same amount as it drained the 2 other times I changed it so from now on I am not even going to measure it. (2011 rgu). I think hd must make it a few ounces over the 32 oz so you need to buy an extra quart lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts