Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've rebuilt a few car engines and one of the things we would sometimes do prior to the first start up on a rebuilt motor was to pull the plugs, put a brick on the gas pedal (which would cut the fuel pump off, then turn the starter until oil pressure built up.

is there a way to do this with a fuel injected twin cam TBW? is it even worth it? i wouldn't do something like this unless i could shut the fuel off; wouldn't want the gas to wash off the oil on the rings.

this is on a full top and bottom rebuild so the entire engine is dry from the back to the front (other than assembly lube).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Or just jump the starter solenoid with fuel pump fuse pulled. Or don't put fuel in the tank.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Best way to do it is by just jumping the starter solenoid. Nothing else is turned on, so no inadvertent codes.

I do it before I put the rocker boxes back on. Just give it a little oil down the plug holes and crank it till I see oil at the rocker arms. You'll need to pace the starter a little. 30 seconds cranking and 30 seconds rest, just to keep it from getting to hot. And once you see oil from the intake rockers, you can stop. For some reason the exhaust rockers take forever to fill at cranking speed.

Now with that said, its not really necessary in a Harley roller motor. If everything was prelubed properly, its good to go, but might make a little extra noise at start up.

A note on M8's. If you have the rocker supports off, do not pre fill the tappets. Fill them by cranking the motor after reinstalling the rocker supports.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I usually leave the tank off and turn the motor over until the oil light goes out in 15-20 second bursts.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Pump the lifters up with an oil pump can, pour oil in the lifter blocks after install, after pushrods set, pour oil in the rocker boxes and around the valve springs. If you have used assembly lube, everything will be fine. Now ready for the heat cycles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts