Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a good way of priming the oil system after an oil change? Whenever I do it I have to do a start/kill start/kill until i think the oil pressure is back up and where it should be. I thought about taking the plug wires off and just turning the engine over. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Priming is not necessary. Just start the engine and let it idle, the oil pressure will go back to normal in just a few seconds. Its no different than changing the oil in a car engine and starting it afterwards. You would be surprised at how long an engine can run at idle with no oil pressue and not sustain any damage.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Priming is not necessary. Just start the engine and let it idle, the oil pressure will go back to normal in just a few seconds. Its no different than changing the oil in a car engine and starting it afterwards. You would be surprised at how long an engine can run at idle with no oil pressue and not sustain any damage.
+1, don't need to prime it!!!:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
The method I use is to add oil to the new filter before installing it. This method is not in my HD manual but it is in my Buell Cyclone manual. I know the engines are quite different but the idea should apply to both... when the oil pump starts to pressurize the system the filter will already have a supply of oil to send out into the engine passages. I also use this method when changing oil in my cars.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Just spin on the filter and fill engine with oil and start the engine, beer is optional but recommended. Putting oil in the filter can result in a oily mess. Also you should wash the oil off the front motor mount the oil has a tendency to ruin the rubber on the mount resulting in motor mount failure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Putting oil in the filter can result in a oily mess. Also you should wash the oil off the front motor mount the oil has a tendency to ruin the rubber on the mount resulting in motor mount failure.
You don't need to put a whole lot of oil in the filter... my Buell Cyclone manual states: add 4.0 oz of oil to filter and screw filter onto filter housing.

As far as making an oily mess on the front motor mount, read HD_SHOCK's write up in this area under: "No mess oil filter change." I use this method almost to a "t", and it has worked for me... never had to wipe up any oil yet!​

·
Registered
453 Posts
We always add oil to the filter before re-installing, always. It is easy to do and doesn't really take more time to do with the guns we have....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think everyone has their own way of doing things. None are neccessarily wrong. I say... no rules! Do what it takes... and ride!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Put me in the "add oil to the filter" camp. I have been doing it since working on my '72 Galaxie 500. The filter element soaks up the oil you put in there so it doesn't leak out.

Does it make a difference? Probably not, but it doesn't hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts