Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else here has come across this. Basically I can't get air into the shocks. Try to pump a bit in with a couple different hand pumps and it just doesn't get air in there and there is plenty of back pressure when pulling the pump off. Maybe my method is flawed but I'm assuming there is no air in there because when I try to let air out I get nothing. Oh yeah, and the wife gives PLENTY of input on how she feel every bump back there. I have pulled the seat and traced the lines and there are no kinks in them. Everything appears to be seated correctly. Short of taking the lines apart and trying to pump air, I'm out of ideas. It's a 2012 RGU and I'm trying to make the dealer my last resort but it may come to that, just trying to save a bit of hassle and I really don't mind wrenching. The only way to learn is to do. But it may end up at the dealer for warranty work if no one here has ideas.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Could the threads on the valve be cross-threaded so that the pump is not going on correctly?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Are you using one of the "clip on" type hand pumps or a screw on. I tried to fill mine with a bicycle pump that clips on and got the same results, backpressure but no flow. I bought the little screw on pump made by Harley specifically for the job and it fills fine. Expensive little pump (like $40) but it really is pretty nice for the job. It has a gauge on it and it does not let air escape when you unscrew it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the little Harley pump. Same result.

Threads on the pump and the valve are perfect and I'm sure I'm not cross threading.

And I've tried a clip on pump as well. All with the same results.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda like the lines are plugged or something. Don't know if that's possible but that's what it seems like. Unlikely but I guess we never know.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Sounds like the valve in the bikes connecter isn't getting compressed for some reason, so basically you're only filling the pump hose. Most often this is caused by something screwed up in the pump hose connector, little nib in the center is missing or messed up. It's possible the valve in the connector n the bikee is screwed up, but not likely.
Take the pump back to the dealer and see if you can compare it closely to another one.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Similar to tdkkart, check to see if the valve on the receiving end of the shocks depresses. Might be stuck, or somehow the pump is not fitting tight enough to depress it.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Sounds like your not depressing the valve core you can gat a valve core tool from auto parts and a new core I have seen them bent were you cant get air in also I recomend the harley pump or some other screw on type hand pump

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Valve core appears to be ok but may be the next/ easiest route to go. I do have the Harley pump and use it or at least attempt to use it. Just tried other pumps to see if they did anything. Well maybe I'll try replacing the valve core tomorrow. If not, off to the dealer. Thanks. Still open to more ideas also though.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Valve core appears to be ok but may be the next/ easiest route to go. I do have the Harley pump and use it or at least attempt to use it. Just tried other pumps to see if they did anything. Well maybe I'll try replacing the valve core tomorrow. If not, off to the dealer. Thanks. Still open to more ideas also though.
while you have the core out try pumping up the shocks see if they will take air if so then put your new core in good luck and let us know how it comes out

·
Registered
734 Posts
Make sure that the connectors are seated correctly. U have to push the lines in and then give them a little tug. There should be a small click (on new bikes) if the line connectors aren't seated correctly they may prevent the lines from airing up and still show back pressure.

Its worth a try...

I recently bottomed out hard and ripped the crossover line. Went to auto parts store and replaced all my lines for under $12... could try it maybe there is a clog in the line...

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tdkkart and qkshift were right on. Valve stem core was the problem. Replaced it and everything works perfectly. Thanks to everyone for their help and input.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Tdkkart and qkshift were right on. Valve stem core was the problem. Replaced it and everything works perfectly. Thanks to everyone for their help and input.
Glad it worked out for you workiung hvac Ihave a lot of exsperiance withthem little bast---- put gages on a unit and cant get a reading it those damn things and they like to leak to a little spit on top before you put the cap on tomake sure it seated

1 - 14 of 14 Posts