Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Did not expect my first post on RoadGlide.org to be a negative one, but here it is. As I was at my dealer picking up some parts to get my ‘09 SEUC ready for an upcoming 3500 mile road trip in the NorthWest states, I was seduced by a very good looking Mako Shark RG. Well, long story short, cut an awesome deal, including a real sweet trade-in number on the Ultra, so quite out of character for me, went for it.
Next challenge was to get the RG ready for the trip, you know, the $1000s we spend after spending thousands💸! Also needed to put some miles on the bike to get the 1000 mile service done prior to shipping our bikes West. Well as I did my habitual pre ride check (at 69 miles on clock), transmission dip stick was dry as a bone. Knowing of the tranny transfer issue, pulled derby cover and oil leaked out as I loosened cover. Drained transmission, 18oz. recovered, 10oz. low. Drained primary and refilled with same oil, had an excess of 9 oz. Dam, 10 ounces low in 69 miles of highway miles (trip home from dealer) with some stop and go traffic? WTF!
Contacted dealer, spoke to their lead mechanic. They were not familiar with this issue (of course not!) and did not know about the #94100065 Primary Vent Kit. They decided to consider this the first report. As agreed to by them, I refilled the transmission with 28 oz. of Syn3, rode the 65 miles back to dealer and dropped the bike off there yesterday. They had contacted HD and we think, not sure, that a kit will be provide for them to install. I don’t have the luxury of time to ride another 1000 miles to see if it repeats, and don’t want to set out on a 3500 mile trip with this condition. Might have to do a reverse trade in and take back my ‘09 Ultra that after 10 years of “improving” was the perfect touring ride.
Stay tuned
Safe riding and God bless all,
Tom P.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I brought my bike home last year (2019 RG CVO) the tranny was low. I changed all the oil, as I do with every bike I bring home, I use Amsoil Severe gear in the tranny and have always used it on my bikes. Got my 1000 mile done tranny was fine and after 2500 miles tranny is still full. Not to say this fixes anything and maybe it was just low on the initial ride I never measured what came out of the primary. But I hear some have had the same experience where it just went away.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Get the fat clutch rod from Macomb County CHoppers. $80, 30 minutes to install and ride in peach.

They only have a Facebook presence, so if you are on Facebook, its here: https://www.facebook.com/Macomb-County-Choppers-121193034606631/?__tn__=,d,P-R&eid=ARCJA-WUdvnAzKGSldpNuJRXh7hFdlhzClTD86xkYVdIzQ7lIOQ0TAGI8TVRzokOF-vtVCkklM0bUEqN

Hello All,
Did not expect my first post on RoadGlide.org to be a negative one, but here it is. As I was at my dealer picking up some parts to get my ‘09 SEUC ready for an upcoming 3500 mile road trip in the NorthWest states, I was seduced by a very good looking Mako Shark RG. Well, long story short, cut an awesome deal, including a real sweet trade-in number on the Ultra, so quite out of character for me, went for it.
Next challenge was to get the RG ready for the trip, you know, the $1000s we spend after spending thousands��! Also needed to put some miles on the bike to get the 1000 mile service done prior to shipping our bikes West. Well as I did my habitual pre ride check (at 69 miles on clock), transmission dip stick was dry as a bone. Knowing of the tranny transfer issue, pulled derby cover and oil leaked out as I loosened cover. Drained transmission, 18oz. recovered, 10oz. low. Drained primary and refilled with same oil, had an excess of 9 oz. Dam, 10 ounces low in 69 miles of highway miles (trip home from dealer) with some stop and go traffic? WTF!
Contacted dealer, spoke to their lead mechanic. They were not familiar with this issue (of course not!) and did not know about the #94100065 Primary Vent Kit. They decided to consider this the first report. As agreed to by them, I refilled the transmission with 28 oz. of Syn3, rode the 65 miles back to dealer and dropped the bike off there yesterday. They had contacted HD and we think, not sure, that a kit will be provide for them to install. I don’t have the luxury of time to ride another 1000 miles to see if it repeats, and don’t want to set out on a 3500 mile trip with this condition. Might have to do a reverse trade in and take back my ‘09 Ultra that after 10 years of “improving” was the perfect touring ride.
Stay tuned
Safe riding and God bless all,
Tom P.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Good luck resolving! Hate to hear that...

Welcome to the tank from north Florida!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, not knowing what the factory fill was and if it was checked at “dealer prep” is an unknown factor. What concerns me is that the tranny was low by 10oz and the primary was 9oz. over. Sure indicates migration. I’m fine with after market improvements, seems I’ve done some on every HD I have ever owned, but dam, this is an brand new bike. Rather expensive one at that. Shouldn’t have to deal with this crap, no Harley customers should. Not really angry, just somewhat disappointed. I’m confident that this problem will be solved one way or the other.
Thanks for the kind responses
Tom P.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I feel your pain, I have another post going concerning my 2019. Went Saturday for my 1000 service and dealer said he wanted me back in a 1000 miles for them to check as the transmission level was low. Could or would not tell me how low. The ride home was about 60 miles, so tonight I checked the level and it does not register on the dip stick, will be calling the dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That Mako is a sweet bike, though. The transfer issue will be easily solved through Harley or the aftermarket.

Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
342 Posts
but dam, this is an brand new bike. Rather expensive one at that. Shouldn’t have to deal with this crap, no Harley customers should.
Dang straight. This is and should be unacceptable. No matter the cost of the bike. Whether it's a $8,000.00 Sportster or a $40,000.00 CVO.
I can accept this on a first year bike, although it still shouldn't happen in the quantities that this has happened. Proper R&D should of caught this.
This motor has been produced for almost three years now. Their should be no bugs to work out anymore.

I hope nothing but the best you Mr.38. I hope you can get it worked out before your trip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks V-man.
Yes, liked this bike from the first I saw it at the NYC MC Show in January. No, I’m not going to go crazy about this, issue will be fixed. Just that this popped the bubble of excitement for a new ride a bit too soon. “Product improvement” by Harley owners is the norm, going on forever.
Tom P.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Dang straight. This is and should be unacceptable. No matter the cost of the bike. Whether it's a $8,000.00 Sportster or a $40,000.00 CVO.
I can accept this on a first year bike, although it still shouldn't happen in the quantities that this has happened. Proper R&D should of caught this.
This motor has been produced for almost three years now. Their should be no bugs to work out anymore.

I hope nothing but the best you Mr.38. I hope you can get it worked out before your trip.
Damn right. Of course. I don't think anybody on this forum would disagree.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Get the fat clutch rod from Macomb County CHoppers. $80, 30 minutes to install and ride in peach.

They only have a Facebook presence, so if you are on Facebook, its here: https://www.facebook.com/Macomb-County-Choppers-121193034606631/?__tn__=,d,P-R&eid=ARCJA-WUdvnAzKGSldpNuJRXh7hFdlhzClTD86xkYVdIzQ7lIOQ0TAGI8TVRzokOF-vtVCkklM0bUEqN
HIAB..thanks for the info...also found this site for Macomb for us non-facebook guys.

Macomb County Choppers, 50111 Van Dyke Ave, Utica, MI (2019)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts