Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right area to ask... but I seem to have a lot of trouble getting the bike into Neutral. Sometimes I hit it on the first try - but most - majority - of the time I'm sitting there bouncing between 1st and 2nd and eventually just give up! Are there any tricks to that?

I have a 2013 FLTRU that's about a week old now.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
It gets better with the miles but also check that the clutch is properly adjusted.
Also when you change the fluid go to something like Red Line Shock Proof or Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum Synthetic.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think the default clutch adjustment is a little tight. I readjusted my 2012 when I got it home and it was much better.

Also... Keep your toe on the board if you can and you'll be better able to control the quick pop into neutral. I also drop the rear lever to the point that an upshift has the shift peg just hitting isolated part of the floor board. Having the lever lower makes it easier to control. At least I find it easier...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a brand new RG in Feb. and had a similar problem and thought it was just needing some miles on it. That is until one day in stop and go traffic and my clutch nearly stopped working altogether. Turns out I badly needed a clutch adjustment, and I truly believe they didn't get it right after swapping out my clutch lever (bought a chrome one when I bought the bike).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2011 RGU. At 1,000 mile fluid change I used Amsoil 75-110 gear lube in the transmission and the issue finding neutral was gone. Shifting in general was smoother.
Probably a number of gear lubes that would have the same effect.

·
Registered
875 Posts
2011 - after clutch adjustment, some more miles, and change of fluids it gets easier to find N

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
When I picked up my new to me 05 Netral was impossible to find. I adjusted the clutch pack which didn't help at all. I drained the primary and refilled with the proper amount (it was overfilled as an 05 takes about 24 oz.'s) and now it's smooth as butter. The newer bikes all take 32 oz's or 1 qt if I remember correctly. I used Drag Specialties primary oil. The oil was so filthy it looked like it was never changed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does one check if the clutch is properly adjusted? Is that something I can do or does it have to go in. Remember - brand new under warranty and stuff. Don't want to do anything to void it. I'm at 250 miles right now.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
How does one check if the clutch is properly adjusted? Is that something I can do or does it have to go in. Remember - brand new under warranty and stuff. Don't want to do anything to void it. I'm at 250 miles right now.
You can do it without voiding anything. Loosen the clutch cable so the lever has a bunch of free play. Take the derby cover off and loosen the jam nut and then tighten the center bolt until snug, not tight then back it off approx 1/4 to 1/2 turn then lock the jam nut. Put everything back together and then re-adjust the clutch cable so theres approx 1/8" of play in the lever. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong :) and i agree with the previous post about getting a service manual

·
Registered
220 Posts
Clutch adjustment. There are a couple of good videos on YouTube demonstrating how to properly adjust the clutch. Helped me out a lot.

Scoots

·
Registered
6 Posts
And don't adjust the clutch when the bike is hot.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I had the same problem, since this was my first HD throught that was the problem. I had a brother check out the cluch cable and had to ajust it. don't have that problem any more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay I'm following ya now. Thanks!!!

Used to do the same thing on my VTX 1300 - especially when I would get it out of the shop they would have always readjusted the clutch and tightened it and I would have to re-readjust it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wife's 2012 Sporty, her current 2013 Deluxe, and my 2012 RGC all had issues getting into neutral for the first 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Too much fluid will also effect finding neutral. I noticed this last change just a little too much will have an effect, and then decided to read my newly spiral bound manual and low and behold there it was in black and white.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts